1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9986 PC Issues - simple explanation?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Bluestraw, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Bluestraw

Bluestraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm seriously thinking of buying one of these sets, but I'd be wanting to hook it up to a HTPC as well as the DVD player etc.

I read the other threads on the topic, but I really can't see the showstopper problem using it this way. Maybe I'm missing something though, so I would really appreciate some 'simple explanation'!

What I understand so far (may be totally wrong!), is that the best possible proven working setup via DVI is to set a resolution of 1280 x 768. This leaves small borders on left + right for 'normal' use, and if watching a 720p show for example will give small borders all round.

Which parts of this are 'unusual' regarding HD-ready LCDs? Will they all have small borders for 720p material? How do other sets handle PC connections differently? From what I know about LCD PC monitors, a 'pixel for pixel' picture is always best, so surely 'expanding' lower resolutions to fill the screen is a bad thing?

Thanks for helping a confused person :confused:

2. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some sets expand a 1280x720p picture (minus overscan margin) into the native 1366x768 screen resolution. The 9986 does not do this.

Some sets allow the full 1366x768 screen resolution to be used by a PC via VGA/DVI. The 9986 cannot do this.

Other than this, the 9986 can be used with a PC with small black borders, or by using the full 1920x1080i resolution (which the TV will slightly crop because of overscan standards, and then scale to 1366x768). Of course you have no pixel-for-pixel in this case, and small text on the screen becomes unreadable.

3. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I don't want to put you off the TV because I think it is brilliant.

However, I have struggled to connect my laptop to it.

Best I can get so far is showing the desktop only on the TV, ie. no desktop icons are present. If I do Fn+F8 (which should toggle between displays) I get "Picture format not supported" on screen.

I have set my secondary display to 1024*768 but this it seems is no good...
    For some reason I am unable to select any refresh rates lower than 60hz in Windows.

Maybe that is the problem?

4. Bluestraw

Bluestraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks,

That makes much more sense now! I think I'm the sort of person who would want pixel-for-pixel with 720p, so I'm happy with that, but I guess it should also be a configurable option for those who prefer full screen. As for the PC resolution, I think I'd be happy enough with 1280 x 768 - providing I can actually get it to work anyway!!

5. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tony B

I had the same problem with my Dell laptop connecting to a 32PF9986. The lack of desktop icons means that your laptop is setting the TV as an ***extension*** to your desktop, like you are using two monitors side-by-side. That is why you can't see any icons because they are still on your laptops desktop. Try moving one past the right side of your screen! On mine, the easiest way to set the right settings is to use the right-click 'Graphics Options' from the desktop.

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am no computer whizz, but I thought I'd try hooking up mine to my 9986. It has an FX5200 with a DVI-D output. I just bunged the DVI plug into the back of the 9986, and it worked perfectly.

My current PC monitor is a widescreen one anyway, so the resolution was already set at 1280x768, so there are small 10-12mm wide blank bands left and right. But that is it. Beautiful, crisp, steady graphics with no problems at all!

Jimmy

7. giggsy

giggsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just spent the best part of 2 months setting up my tv family room with the 32pf9986 together with SkY+, a toshiba dvd player and a home built HTPC Media Centre running MCE 2005

AMD 64 939 3200+
    1 Gb Ram
    X800 XTPE
    150 MCE TV Card
    200GB
    Audigy Card
    Z-680 Logitech- (saving for the M-Cubes)
    HT-400 Case (i had the Ahanix case but it was too deep)

The system is everything i want, the black borders on HDTV material (720i) do not seem to notice and the picture is fantastic (i'm amazed how different DVD is compared to HDTV!!). The kids can easily switch on the HTPC from standby and watch their own DVD's. The wife likes the way she can listen to music through either the TV or the Z680 along with the Radio etc and the ability to look up the weather and to be able to sit on the sofa and surf/shop. The SKY+ RGB (Scart 1), (DVD RGB Scart 2) are connected to the Z680 by optical and the Audigy is connected to the Z680 by analogue and on board PC sound connect to the TV by audio in/out and this will be fine until i get a Denon AMP

The PC picture is fantastic and playing games (Half Life 2, Doom and others) is something else

I can't recommend this enough, we have now got rid of the old computer desk and 20.1 TFT and freed up so much space in the living room that the house finally looks like a house and not a single blokes flat :)

would like to thank Jimsan for all his help :smashin:

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Goodness me Giggsy! What a setup! Sorted!

Jimmy

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

That's mine to a tee:)
    I have to admit that I got my panel working more by trial and error then any insight and understanding the software but it all works and HD video streamed off the PC looks stunning with DD5.1 to the amp a bonus.

10. aplex

aplex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    quick question, I've recently got myself the 32pf9986 :thumbsup: and now i'm looking to purchase some other components... the first piece of the jigsaw i was going to consider was the dvd player, now my question to those of you that use the PC is do i really need a dvd player when my laptop computer can output dvi striaght to the 32pf? it seems that this would be perfectly adequate? is there any (dis) advantage to one over the other or should I just save the cash and blow it on a decent amp instead? would be great to get your thoughts on this...

as a complete aside can you turn the PC into a virtual DVD recorder for TV purposes too, is that possible yet?

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A PC's DVD player will work just fine, however, if you are going to be purchasing an amp, why not get an All-in-One system like the Denon DHT500SD. This is a super Progressive Scan DVD player with a full facility 600W amp tacked on. This makes for a very convenient high performance system at low bucks..(£399). Includes Centre and 4 satellite speakers and a Sub too. Good bit of kit.

A PC will act as a DVD recorder as long as you have a TV reciever card in it. You can get DVB, Satellite and terrestrial cards for home PC's. As far as trying to record using the TV as your reciever, I'm not so sure. I don't think the 9986 has a video out of any sort that you could utilise.

Jimmy

12. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Eureka!

Thanks Alan, with your advice I have finally managed to get the pc material playing on the TV (pictures at least).

Now I suppose I need to play around with resolutions....

And sound....

13. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    How are you getting the DD signal out to your amp?

TIA

Tony B