1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9986 lacking component in?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by benwong, Apr 3, 2005.

1. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I've been doing a load of reading up on this site for a new 32inch LCD I'm planning to buy and I must say, this forum is an absolute gem!! Anyway, I've got a question..

I've narrowed my search down to a few screens now, and I've got between £1200-£2000 to spend (although £2000 will be at a very big stretch!). I want one with the following specs:

• Great picture quality (through both analogue inputs and digital ones)
    • DVI in (for possible HDTV upgrades in the future)
    • Good PC connectivity (I shall be
    • Component input (cos my dvd player has one and this seems to be the best connection possible without going into DVI)
    • No need for DVB though cos I got an external freeview box
    • Sound quality is not an issue as I have external amp and speakers
    • The cheaper the better :D

And I've come up with the following list:
    • Philips 9986
    • Philips 9976
    • Toshiba 32WL48
    • A Sharp screen (although I'm confused as to which model cos I keep reading that they're very difficult to get hold of or something)

Now I was favouring the 9986 as everyone on this forum seems to agree that it's the best of the best screens out at the moment, but upon my visit to Curry's on Saturday I was shocked to find out that it does not have component in. That put me right off cos I've only just invested in a new dvd player which has component as it's best output (no DVI). Up until then, I was assuming it has component, as it seemed to have absolutely everything else!

Then I was looking at the Tosh, but having read a thread on here, I've been put off due to the extreme lack of stock, and by the fact that they are rumoured to be replaced very soon by new models.

Can anyone tell me about them Sharps too? :(

And can anyone recommend anything that I haven't already mentioned? I'm even more confused than before. :rolleyes:

Another thing, I'm in no rush to buy the thing, I still need to save up the £££ before I take the plunge.. probably need another 2-3 months first. Anyone know of anything coming out during that time in the UK?

THanks guys, your help is greatly appreciated as usual!! :D

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK benwong,

You're doing a grand job already! You've narrowed this down to three best screens currently available.

Firstly, the 9986 does have component! It uses an adapter to connect Component via its DVI socket. Warning! This only works with Progresive Scan DVD players! If you want to also connect a PC you'll need to unplug, plug, unplug etc, or go for a DVI switcher - not cheap...yet.

The Tosh seems to be a good wee set, but availablity is an issue, as it is with the good Sharps...

HOWEVER! Can you wait until July? Philips will introduce thw 32PF9380 aroung then and it is fully loaded! Improved picture over the 9986 (!?) and better connectivity. It will also fall nicely into your budget. RRP will be £2300 (ish) but will surely be under £2K very quickly! Worth the wait?

There will also be new Sharps, Panasonics and Sonys soon too! Keep watching this space....

Jimmy

3. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Jimsan,

Thanks for the speedy reply! So I've been looking at the right screens then? :D

Ok, I've got a few more questions that I'm sure you'll be able to help on :)
    1. The new philips is coming out in July? Hmmmm.. that would kind of imply that the 9986 will then plummet in price around that time then.. it would also probably mean I need to wait at least a few months for the new model to drop it's price.. damn that's a long time to wait!! hehe
    2. Does the 9986 come with the component > DVI convertor then? Are component connections digital? If not, wouldn't that convertor need to convert analogue signals (from the component) to digital (for the DVI port) or am I missing a fundamental point here?
    3. Talking about the DVI port, I've read somewhere on this site that there are different types of DVI and as far as I can gather the differences are as follows: One is for connection to PC sources only, and the other is for connecting to DVD player and other HDTV sources only. Are there DVI ports that do it all? And if so, do any of the screens mentioned earlier have this ability?
    4. Is the £700-£800 price difference between the Tosh and the Philips really worth paying for? Is the Philips screen really that much nicer? I know this question has been asked before in other threads, but I'm still not too sure what the answer is :D
    5. Also I know the 9986 has more advanced technology firmware wise (pixel plus II etc.) than the 9976, but are differences that apparent? Has anyone been able to see the 9976, 9986 and the 32WL48 next to each other for direct comparisons? More importantly, would the average user be able to tell the difference?
    6. Is image ghosting an issue with these screens, as I've read that this is quite an annoying problem with the more budget screens?

I know there's quite a few questions there guys, but as I'm sure you'll understand, I don't wanna end up spending ~£2000 on a new screen to find that it's not got the features i want, or is not as future proof as first thought!! :suicide:

I know someone's bound to suggest going to Currys or somewhere like that to do a direct comparison myself, but I've already been to Currys and was not impressed at all with the quality of the actual sources inputted into the screens and so am a bit wary about making judgement there myself. For example, they had a new Hitatchi LCD screen connected to a Tosh dvd player using good quality component cables, and they were playing Bridget Jones's Diary on it. All far enough you may think, but I had the following problems with the setup:

• The screen or DVD player was setup incorrectly so the movie was being displayed using the wrong aspect ratio (the black borders were extra large making the Bridget even more chubbier than she already was in the movie!!). That really annoys me when a big company like Currys or Comet have all these quality screens and don't even use them properly!
    • Every 10 seconds or so, 1 inch squared of pixels on the screen was not showing the video correctly. This would make mean that chunk of video would not be displayed on the screen for a split second or so, making it very annoying to watch. Firstly I thought it was a cable problem, but took a look behind the screen to see the chunky component cable. Not too sure what the problem was then. :confused:

I'm also not going to ask the sales reps for a proper quality demo because A. Most don't even know what they're talking about, and B. after the hassle of getting them to set up a dvd player on each of the 3 screens, I would feel more obliged to buy at least one from them!!

Anyway, I look forward to any helpful input!

Thanks guys,

Ben

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you can wait 2-3 months then you will have a whole new group of sets to look at. The Phillips Achilles heel of connectivity will hopefully be addressed and you will be able to buy a Sharp model again! (The current models are near enough sold out )
    For info on the Sharps look here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200750

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ben,

I'll quickly cover some of your questions!

The component cable comes with the TV. The connection is a DVI-I which means it can handle Analogue and Digital. The 9986 did briefly drop in price a couple of months ago, but it has since gone up again! The 9380 will not be long getting under £2K. The 9986 is the best TV available at the moment. £800 better? I think so. More features than the Tosh and its sibling the 9976. Ghosting is a concern, but you can nearly tune it out of the 9986 and the 9976. Not sure about the Tosh.

Don't feel bad about making a total pest of yourself in Comet/Curries! I did. Make them earn their crust! I tested over 20 TV's before deciding on the 9986. Do the legwork, Ben!

Jimmy