1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9986 and DVI

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ricardomourinho, Apr 17, 2005.

1. ricardomourinho

ricardomourinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I would like to know which dvi dvd player (to upscale to 720p or 1080i) is best recommended for philips 9986?
    Also would like to know if playing dvd movie via dvi will i get full screen, considering 1024*768 dvi resolutions of 9986?
    Thanks

2. ewf2001

ewf2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips DVP9000SA ?

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watching via DVI into the Philips 9986, you will get full screen (1366x768) at 576p and 1080i, and you get a border at 720p (the picture being 1280x720 at 720p). I use the "basic" Denon 1910 and get some great results.

4. ricardomourinho

ricardomourinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

So, you use at 1080i or 576p? Which is preferable?
    Upscaling to 720p via components will deliver full screen?

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use mainly 576p as there is less picture scaling involved, but 1080i produces good pictures too. The picture at 720p is not full screen it has a small border, as it is not scaled. Some TVs scale the 720p picture to fill the screen, but the Philips doesn't. It uses 720 lines out of the screen's 768 vertically, so you get 24 lines black border at the top and bottom. Plus it uses 1280 lines of the screen's 1366, so you get 43 lines black border at the sides. This means a superb unscaled picture, but one that doesn't fill the screen.

6. ricardomourinho

ricardomourinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input.
    Sorry to ask again, but do you(anyone) know if upscaling to 720p via components instead of dvi will delivery full screen?

7. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no difference in the handling of RGBHV, component or DVI via the DVI-I connector on the Philips.
    So you can input either of these formats and they are not scaled differently.

8. Bluestraw

Bluestraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Alan,

I guess you're saying it's better to output the DVD at 'native' resolution, and let the TV do the scaling, instead of using the DVD player to do some of the scaling and the TV some more?

Also, do you have a really noticeable difference outputting the DVD at 576p versus 576i? I'm seriously considering a 9986 (unless I have the willpower to wait for the 9830!) and am trying to learn as much as I can!

9. nate247

nate247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I must admit, I have just bought a 9986 and am somewhat confused on this matter.

I have just bought Theatre Tek on the PC and a dvi cable, but was informed a few days ago about the fact that you can't get DVI images to display from the PC in the Philips native resolution. It either has to be with a boarder (pixel for pixel image) or 1920 x something or other, which in all honesty makes the image a bit noisy as the TV scales it down to its native resolution.
    Also when outputting the 1920 x (um er) resolution, the playback is very jerky even though I have a very high spec PC.

Because of these factors I am thinking of buying a stand alone DVD player, either the Denon 1910 or the 2910. If I connect either of these via DVI, as I understand it, 720p will display a bit like my PC does at 1280 x 720 (a 3cm boarder all around the screen)? But all other options will display full screen. Is this correct???

P.S sorry to hijack this thread, but I am keen to know the facts as I am very close to getting shot of my 9986 and just getting one of the Sharps as this whole DVI issue is a bit of a p*** take given that the TV cost me £2500 :mad: lol

10. ricardomourinho

ricardomourinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i connect my mac via dvi into philips 9986, i can't reach 1080i resolution (1920/1080).
    IS THIS NORMAL?

11. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It works OK on a PC.
    Can you set timing details on a Mac?
    When the 1920x1080 resolution is not specificially for HDTV it probably uses different timing (as the HDTV timings are quite strange, especially at 50 Hz)
    When you can tweak individual timing details, like can be done with Linux modelines or Windows powerstrip, it should be possible to get a picture.

12. ricardomourinho

ricardomourinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.
    I'll give it a try.