1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9986 and DVI !!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by oldguy, Mar 19, 2005.

1. oldguy

oldguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just took delivery this morning of my 9986 - 2.3 firmware

Everything seems fine but having trouble getting my Sony DVD to work via DVI.

The DVD has component out and I've used the cable supplied with the TV.

The DVD is set to progressive scan, as is the TV.

I'm getting "picture format unavailable" flashing up intermittently on the blue background,

Having read the previous threads, I'm guessing it's something to do with 4:3, widescreen etc

Can anyone help ? ( or point me to a previous thread that might )

thanks

OLDGUY

2. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What DOES work?
    If you do not set "progressive scan" to on, does it work then?
    If not, what works?

3. oldguy

oldguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got Sky into EXT1 which works fine,

I tried the DVD firstly with it set to interlace, nothing.

I changed DVD over to progressive, nothing.

TV setup is widescreen, DVD is 16:9 ( fun doing this since OSD is only way to change on DVD so keep having to reconnect CRT )

Have not tried via RGB scart, but can't see why DVI doesn't work

thanks

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I take it that you have the Adapter cable with the correct coloured plugs - Red/Green/Blue, or do you have the one with the Red/White/Yellow?.

Please confirm.

Jimmy

5. oldguy

oldguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, yes it has the red / green and blue cable with the adapter.

Interestingly, Philips say ring Sony.

Both DVD and TV are set to progressive scan in the OS menus.

On the back of the DVD there a switch for selectable / interlace, this is set to selectable as the book says.
    The DVD book does mention that if the TV format is PAL, it automatically outputs interlace ?
    The DVD has a phono "monitor out" which if i connect this into a Scart adapter and into the TV everything works OK. BUT PQ is poor.
    Having read many threads it's my understanding that the DVI / component gives the best possible PQ.

thanks

6. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    How old is the DVD player? Some of the early players only did progressive scan with NTSC discs. There was a gap of about a year before progressive PAL was approved.

Before PAL progressive was approved companies like Sony did not allow their players to output the standard even thought the hardware could do it.

Hope this helps

7. oldguy

oldguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's about 2 years old,

its a player with 5.1 amp etc,

if this is the case and it won't do progressive scan, whats the best next way of connecting to the TV for good PQ ?

It has component out and s video out ( it has no Scart )

Is there such a thing as component leads to Scart so I can connect via one of the RGB scart sockets ?

Cheers

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It sounds to me that you have done everything right oldguy. I seem to remember from a while back that somebody else had this same dilemma. We tried absolutely everything imaginable and it would not work. I think the idea that the Sony only outputs NTSC PScan is possibly right...

The next best easily available is the S-Video which would be just about OK. I'm afraid that I don't know if the Component to RGB Scart will work. It certainly wouldn't provide sound.

However, why don't you splash out on a new PScan DVD player. Tosh 240 in Tesco for £49! Just connect this to the Sony's optical input and to the TV's DVI (via adapter) and away you go!

OR...Go the whole way and get a Digital DVD player and go directly via the DVI....Denon, Samsung and Panasonic to name a few. (The Samsung is quite good value at £100+) This is the single best quality picture source available for the 9986 although it is a close run thing with the Progressive DVD...

Jimmy

9. oldguy

oldguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks

Sounds not a problem as I will use the DVD player for this and not the TV

Think for now I'll run the cable to the TV-DVI but use the s-video, then at least I've got the option later to connect a different DVD player,

Technology is like life - it goes too bloody fast, DVD player/home theatre was 500 quid 2 years ago !

I assume the Digital players have a direct DVI or VGA connector so the lead i need to run is VGA-VGA and possibly another adapter like the TV( it's going behind plaster and under the floor so i need to get it right )

thanks

stressed out too early OLDGUY

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No, the digital players are DVI/DVI. No adapters needed. (or a combination af DVI and HDMI)

Jimmy

11. oldguy

oldguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    posted on home automation, but thought i'd put it on LCD screens as someone's probably done this

I've seen a "Xantech 490 IR kit" that apparantly allows me to put the DVD/Sky/VCR in a cupboard and control it all through a single wall mounted receiver, do they actually do what they say on the tin ?

looks very good and simple, but seen some older threads which mention problems with the IR receiver close to the TV which is surely where most would want to mount it ?

....................... :confused:

12. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you want to use the Amp section to amplify sources from the TV you'll need an audio link between the TV and the Amp.

I use a similar infra red remote sender to control my equipment from the bedroom (!)(?). It works very well, transmitting everything, from every remote perfectly.

Jimmy

13. oldguy

oldguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimmy, thanks a lot for all your help on this one,

won't be using the audio out from the Tv ( but i'll be laying the cables for future possibilities though )

incidentally ( here I go picking your brains again )

interests - computers - you wouldn't have any idea about analogue to digital video with windows movie maker would you ?

If you ever need any advise on stainless steel or the best way to keep a CBR6 looking pristine then I'll gladly help !? :smashin:

14. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't know that much about analogue to Digital video processing, but I did see a gizmo in Aldi yesterday that was supposed to make the process really easy...also saw the amazing PC that Aldi are currently marketing...what a piece of kit!

The bike in my wee picture is a Yammie YZR600F 'Thundercat' and I keep it pristine condition by hardly ever riding it!...unless it is Sunny & Warm and the roads are dry...LIKE TODAY!!! What a blast!!!

Jimmy

15. mothminor

mothminor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)

Hi

Can anyone help with the problem that I have connecting a media center pc to my 32pf9986?

Connecting via the DVI port by DVI/DVI cable. the sizing of the sceen is not right, but more importantly the picture quality TV and DVD is poor - not sharp and the colours are not bold (compared with Pace digital box, and another dvd player).
    Pc output is 1024 x 768 60hz, and the pc boffins have spent 3 hours going through sreen settings etc. They finally said I`d have to use a composite cable, OR to call Philips for a DVI update???

My firmware is 2.1, but the adapter in the box is scart/ composite, I did not get a component adapter with the screen.

Any ideas?

:lease:

John.

16. mothminor

mothminor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correction, my firmware is 2.0.

John.

17. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try 1280 x 720 or 1280 x 768, both 60Hz. You will get some black bars, but the picture on mine at 1280 x 768 is great! I have 2.1 firmware.

18. gcook

gcook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was just about to post an exact repeat of this thread....good job i read through them!!!
    Can now confrim that the Sony DVD I have DAV S550 works in exactly the same way and does in fact work with Region 1 discs..good job ive got a few until i get a new player!!!!!!

19. mothminor

mothminor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For Info:

My set will not accept more than 1024x768.
    I contacted Philips and they are picking up the screen tomorrow to up date it to firmware 2.4. They seem to think that there are still problems with the dvi input with firmware 2.0.

I am in between the tv and pc manufacturers at the moment, so have to iliminate problems with the tv first.

John.

20. bluem

bluem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the adapter i got with the 9986 -red yellow and white is this right as i want to connect it to panasonic es10 which has component ,can any one help.

21. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have PM'd you.

Jimmy

22. bluem

bluem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there a problem with firmware 2.0,can some one put me in the pictue here ,sorry for that line ----just not got a clue about all this stuff

23. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The only problem may be to do with the way the TV handles PC inputs. Havn't heard any other problems...

Jimmy

24. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2.4? They are releasing quickly these days...

Is there support for higher PC resolutions (maybe even 1366x768?) in 2.4?

25. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I've set the 9986 with Media Center 2005 (Nvidia 5700LE via DVI) for my Mum.

As suggested 1280x720 is a perfect razor sharp picture apart from a 1-inch black bar frame all the way round the screen and a slightly chopped off start menu/taskbar. (Apparently UP arrow with the Philips remote will fix this but I haven't been back since to check). A couple of attempts with Powerstrip to do something with the black bars have also been unsuccessful.

I spoke to Philips UK Tech support earlier this week, and the guy admitted that PC resolutions over DVI, with black bars, etc. is a known problem that they are actively working on. However, he said they didn't have a fix, couldn't say when or whether it would be, and certainly didn't mention new firmware that would improve things. I'd be very interested to hear the results of the 2.4 firmware though.

26. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sometimes wonder if the limitations in the firmware of the set are designed-in as part of their "sense and simplicity" campaign (i.e. omit features the average consumer is not going to understand), or that they are simply things they did not get around to when finishing the code.

For example:
    - the limited PC resolutions, not even including a pixel-for-pixel mode (1366x768)
    - the lack of automatic (WSS) switching between widescreen and 4:3
    - no configurability of the automatic picture scaling (at least between fill-the-screen-as-much-as-possible and don't-deform-picture)
    - only one set of personalized settings, except for some strange subset of the settings that is separate per input

As it is now, the hardware would support these features but the firmware doesn't.
    Nowadays we sometimes see "hacked" firmware releases for equipment, where hobbyists take up the development at the point where the manufacturer stopped, but these usually only exist for equipment that can be easily "flashed" by everyone. This does not seem to be the case for the 9986.

27. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    It also amazes me that expensive devices like these aren't easily flashable, via serial or USB port. Apparently the Philips needs to be taken back to the factory, so when they finally do fix the issue 'say goodbye to the TV for a couple of weeks at least.