1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9986 1st day impressions

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by vicsalt, Apr 17, 2005.

1. vicsalt

vicsalt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well set all up and switched on (througth Ski +, note connected to analogue ariel) Screen boots up and picture looks crap :eek:

Found Jimsans settings moved away from screen to my seating made slight ajustements in brightness and contrast over Jims settings just to suit me. All I can say is the picture is Fantastic :clap:

Im sure anyone using sky + and a half decent scart should be well satisfied. If not, your probably sitting too close to the screen. I had a 100 hrz Sony Wega CRT and from where Im sitting the Philips looks better :thumbsup:

Im sitting around 3-4 meters away from the screen and I think this is a important thing.

Next test, progressive scan througth my new JAMO DVD.
    Kids wanted to watch Nimo, so in it goes and yes image seems 2nd to none. 1 1/2 hrs later and stuck in a Star Wars (2nd) and whow doesn't it look cool I would struggle to understand how it could look any better.

Ambilight - Love it, unfortunately thougth I need the winter nights to return as my TV is situated in front of a very large set of patio doors. I can only see the effect at night with the curtains closed .

Disappointed - What is a very, very sexy remote is prity pointless as its probably going to live in a draw for its whole life once I finish tinkering. I belive it itsnt programable for non Philips Items, considering Philips do make some very good universal remotes I find this very disappointing.(COULD SOMEONE LET ME KNOW THE SKY+ REMOTE CODE SO AS I CAN USE THIS TO RUN THE BASIC TV COMMANDS)

Other than this for the 1st days use i give it 10 out of 10. This may change as the days role on but I would be very suprised if this was the case.

Oh and by the way its ver 2.3 :D

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just Google for Sky Remote codes. There are quite a few, and some work better than others!

Jimmy

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Blimey, I'd be in the neighbours front living room if I need 3-4 metres to get a good picture:eek:

4. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case get a TV with a smaller diagonal.
    When you are too close to a TV that does digital processing, or view a digital signal, you will always see nasty processing artifacts.

5. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what's the point of buying a bigger television then, buy a 100 inch one and sit at 30 feet away? ;)

I know the cinematic effect increases with a bigger screen, but 4 meters from a 37 inch is a lot in my opinion, i wanna sit as close as possible to really overwhelm me :)

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    With good signals you can sit pretty darned close without any artifacting. It's just the really low bitrate Sky channels that look poor. With a DVD playing at 576p you could stick your nose against the screen (snot recommended!) and it still looks smooth. When HiDef gets going this'll be the same. Buy a 42" and sit 3 feet away for true cinemascope!

Jimmy

7. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When 3-4 meter is in the neighbour's room I expect that the viewing distance is more like 2 meter, and that is too close for 37" SDTV viewing imho.
    You will need a top quality source to use it that close. PAL will be OK and DVD too, but most DVB content is too heavily compressed for this.

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Sorry...my post was a little tongue in cheek. I just find it amazing that you have to sit far enough away to hide the deficiencies of the the panel/broadcast.

Fair enough if alot of it is to do with the compression, but if you have to do that for the best of digital channels as well then it is a bit of a farce. Fingers crossed when I eventually get mine!:suicide:

9. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sit about 3 metres from my 32" 9986 and the picture is awesome from my Humax freeview box. This is via scart.

There's a whole wall to put it on, so we could have had an enormous TV, but we worked out 32" was the best size for that distance. However, in the end the picture quality turned out to be much better than we'd expected and I think if we did it again we'd go for a 37"

Car man