9986 1.3 firmware and Sky HD?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by prycop, Oct 8, 2005.

1. prycop

prycop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will the infamous Philips 1.3 version firmware on the 9986 have any bearing on Sky HD viewing when the new service comes out?

On a different tact...
    Will Sky HD content 720p be shown on the 9986 with a border? How would a full screen similar quality image be viewed.

(OK showing my ignorance but bugging questions!)

Bottom line - I have a 'graded' Philips 32PF9986 with firmware v1.3 :suicide:
    I have 7 days to return it if not satisfied - I'm pleased with the quality initially but is the 9986 (especially with the 1.3 v firmware) futureproof? Do I keep it or send it back?

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have answered this in a PM....but to reprise...

Sky HD will show a small black border on 720p broadcasts but will scale 1080i pictures to fit. v1.3 should be fine with Sky HD.

If it's cheap enough, keep it! It is still a top performer even amongst the new wave of TV's.

Jimmy

3. prycop

prycop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jimmy - I have PMed back to thank you. :clap:

4. prycop

prycop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back to me - The TV was £1001 plus vat around £1200ish with delivery.

Can't see any 'faults' with it and it arrived seemingly unused total hours is 160 and I'm sure it probably been on a while here. Currently on terrestial the picture is fantastic. I'm happy with it.

The 720p borders seem larger than 2cm and the border seems to be untidy - not a defined line. The blacks in the video also seems greyer because the border is so black.

Can't see the need for component as yet - I have a HDMI DVD player and I'll probably get a 4x DVI switcher box for DVD/PC/Console/SKY HD and currently SKY+ through scart.

I'll contact Philips - as I have a 6 month warranty to see if they'll do the firmware upgrade - the extension that it's going in is still a few weeks from being ready so time is not a big issue.

Thanks for your help -
    I'll probably keep it - I'll test a few more DVDs before finally deciding.