1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9986 1.3 firmware and Sky HD?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by prycop, Oct 8, 2005.

1. prycop

prycop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will the infamous Philips 1.3 version firmware on the 9986 have any bearing on Sky HD viewing when the new service comes out?

On a different tact...
    Will Sky HD content 720p be shown on the 9986 with a border? How would a full screen similar quality image be viewed.

(OK showing my ignorance but bugging questions!)

Bottom line - I have a 'graded' Philips 32PF9986 with firmware v1.3 :suicide:
    I have 7 days to return it if not satisfied - I'm pleased with the quality initially but is the 9986 (especially with the 1.3 v firmware) futureproof? Do I keep it or send it back?

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have answered this in a PM....but to reprise...

Sky HD will show a small black border on 720p broadcasts but will scale 1080i pictures to fit. v1.3 should be fine with Sky HD.

If it's cheap enough, keep it! It is still a top performer even amongst the new wave of TV's.

Jimmy

3. prycop

prycop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jimmy - I have PMed back to thank you. :clap:

4. prycop

prycop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back to me - The TV was £1001 plus vat around £1200ish with delivery.

Can't see any 'faults' with it and it arrived seemingly unused total hours is 160 and I'm sure it probably been on a while here. Currently on terrestial the picture is fantastic. I'm happy with it.

The 720p borders seem larger than 2cm and the border seems to be untidy - not a defined line. The blacks in the video also seems greyer because the border is so black.

Can't see the need for component as yet - I have a HDMI DVD player and I'll probably get a 4x DVI switcher box for DVD/PC/Console/SKY HD and currently SKY+ through scart.

I'll contact Philips - as I have a 6 month warranty to see if they'll do the firmware upgrade - the extension that it's going in is still a few weeks from being ready so time is not a big issue.

Thanks for your help -
    I'll probably keep it - I'll test a few more DVDs before finally deciding.