1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9976 novice, 50/60hz and scart

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by drskhaled, Feb 26, 2005.

1. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hey all, just got my 32pf9976 yesterday and totally ecstatic with it, especially after trying the setting you guys have suggested in prior threads. It's also a firmware 2.2 thank goodness as that was my major worry while awaiting delivery.
    anyway does the tv support pal 60hz as my xbox doesnt seem to have a picture when set at 60hz over a regular scart lead. When i change the xbox settings to 50 hz it works fine. I 'spose thats a minor niggle really as my main dissapointment is that the screen only accepts hi def signals with prog scan and apparently the EU xbox doesnt have prog scan thought he Yanks do have this (iget the feeling despite paying more for things over here we get less).

Secondly being an av virgin how do i know if a scart lead is RGB or not, does it have something to do with the amount of pins i can see in the scart ends? I'v found that those leads with your regular av phono leads only have a few pins on the scart lead. In any case buying such an expensive tv I guess I should fork out on some decent leads...

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Drskhaled,

As you've discovered the 9976 will only handle 50Hz PAL signals. (It'll handle 50 and 60Hz Progressive signals for HDTV purposes however.)

Get some decent leads. Go to wwwtvcables.co.uk and check out their £5.99 scarts. These are fully wired RGB scarts with gold connectors and metal bodies - fantastic!

The Screen will accept non Progressive HiDef signals via a direct digital feed ie 1080i (interlaced) This will become the signal of choice for the 9986 and 9976 when Sky start their HiDef broadcasts. The 720p (progressive) Sky HiDef signal will not scale to full screen size.

Meanwhile a Progressive Scan DVD player connected through the Component adapter will produce fantastic 576p progressive pictures which will take your breath away. Good progressive Scan DVD players can be had for £50 now!

Jimmy

3. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Jimmy,
    Unfortunately we will not be able to chose 1080 over 720, that will be determined by the material being shown by the broadcaster. ;)

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Quite right, sorry. I wish we could have a choice. I prefer the idea of a progressive signal, but would settle for either....

Jimmy