99 problems - laptop is one of them

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Righteee-ho-ho...

I have a total PITA of a problem with my laptop Blu-Ray player.

I use the BR player to copy my BRs to my NAS for streaming.

If I use my Marvels Avengers Assemble as an example.

Symptom 1:
I insert disk and it may (I stress may) be able to read it.
If it recognises it then Cyberlink will kick in and try read the disc.
Then it will display message "No disc found"
I check Explorer the BR drive has disappeared.
Nothing other than a reboot brings the drive back.

Symptom 2:
I insert disc in drive and the disc is not read and drive disappears.

Symptom 3:
When I reboot and disc is in drive the laptop will sometimes hang until I open the drive and then it will boot up.
Note: I have checked the boot sequence in the BIOS and the BR drive is not a bootable drive.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what the issue is - any suggestions?

Have you tried re-installing the drivers? Should be available on the product support page if you google it.

Does it happen with any and all discs, or specific ones?

Have you tried re-installing the drivers? Should be available on the product support page if you google it.

Okay I will have a look.

How old is the laptop? Looks like the drive is failing to be honest!

Laptop is about 3yrs old.

Does it happen with any and all discs, or specific ones?

Sometimes. Some discs work okay, others work after a series of reboots and a lot of jiggery-pokery! However only recently have I got to the point I cannot get some working - those are Up and Avengers Assemble.

WeegieAVLover said:
My drive is listed in device manager as:

TSSTcorp dvdwbd ts-lb23a

I cannot find any drivers for it at the moment online.

Just google the make and model of your laptop and add support to the end and it should take you too the manufacturers support page :)

Just google the make and model of your laptop and add support to the end and it should take you too the manufacturers support page :)

did it and found the Samsung support pages but it had a crap load of drivers but none of them were for the bluray drive.

Just in case you are curious it is a Samsung NP-R590.

Matsushita drives had this problem over several years, the drive just failed on people and the first symptoms were that you could not burn discs etc. Get on eBay and look for a new drive. You don't need the same drive either. Just make sure you distinguish whether it is a 9.5mm or 12.7mm and you're done. Shouldn't cost more than £40 and half hour of your time etc!!!

Matsushita drives had this problem over several years, the drive just failed on people and the first symptoms were that you could not burn discs etc. Get on eBay and look for a new drive. You don't need the same drive either. Just make sure you distinguish whether it is a 9.5mm or 12.7mm and you're done. Shouldn't cost more than £40 and half hour of your time etc!!!

Flight - you better be right!!!! ;)

I have taken a leap of faith with your advice and purchased this bad boy:

NEW Hitachi-LG CT30F 6X Blu-Ray Combo 3D Player BD-ROM DVD RW Slim SATA Drive UK | eBay

£18 all in incl P+P is an awesome deal...

In all seriousness I came to this thread thinking my drive was on the blink to be honest because it has only become a problem in the last 5 months and has been steadily getting worse.

Hopefully this resolves my issues...

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
You sure that one will fit your laptop - there are several different designs.

I replaced the DVD in my son's laptop with a BD and I know for certain that I couldn't have used the one you linked.

Cheers,

Nigel

You sure that one will fit your laptop - there are several different designs.

I replaced the DVD in my son's laptop with a BD and I know for certain that I couldn't have used the one you linked.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel well you have got me keeking myself now... However I think it will be okay.

The ebay drive dimensions are = 128mm x 127mm x 129mm
as detailed here

My laptop drive dimensions are = 128mm x 12.7mm x 129mm
as detailed here

My assumption is that the ebay drive dimensiosn are missing a decimal point in the 127mm measurements.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
More often than not laptops have a generic fit slot for optical drive, the only difference on the drives being the bezel and any fixtures for screws or slide bars, which you will have to swap from the old drive to new.

You do still get those that are different but there is a higher percentage the same.

Should be totally fine buddy! I've done countless replacements in the past! Manufacturers use a standard footprint as it's cheaper all round when producing the equipment, the bezel will need to be removed, this is usually held on with some snap clips so it won't take more than 5 minutes work! £18 is a complete bargain! The only time this gets expensive is if you have one of those all singing and dancing slot loading BDRW's (which Apple should have used from day one)
No need to worry about drivers, it's a generic interface driver that's supplied with windows so it will work instantly - windows update may need to update it but you won't have any problems etc!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom