1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

98SE/Win XP Pro & Raid/dual boot - Help!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kramer, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying (without success!) to dual boot with a Highpoint RAID controller (on board Epox 8K5A2+).

My aim is for a small (5gb) partition in FAT32 running Win 98SE, a bigger partition (20gb) in NTFS running XP Pro & the remaining space (125gb) say as drive E in NTFS.

I can do anything I want with XP - the raid is a sinch to set up, as are partitions etc..., but 98SE is a major hassle.

First thing with 98 is boot from CD - no option to create partitions etc... just formats C (2x80gb - raid 0 = 160gb).

So now 98 is installed on C (no partitions). Then install XP Pro, just overwrites the 98 install!

I've a floppy for the Highpoint controller, but 98, unlike XP, doesn't ask for the RAID driver until it's installed.

What's the best way to go about this???

Any links to useful sites about RAID & dual boot, especially 98SE?

At my wits end - didn't think this would be such a pain.

Advice appreciated.

BTW, the major problem is the RAID controller/driver/fresh install of 98SE. No worries with formatting etc... both HDDs (80gb WD SEs) are good to go. Backups already made.

Your help greatly appreciated :)

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    If you boot from the Windows Install Disk (floppy or CD), choose Command prompt, you should then be able to run FDISK and setup the 5GB partition you need. Then reboot, go back to Command prompt, FORMAT the 5GB partition before running SETUP

Victoria

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My Abit KT7 raid in my server has an onboard highpoint raid controller, although not dual boot i created two partitions for OS and Data in a seperate machine in XP before attaching to the raid IDE and then installing the OS to the C partition.

Because the raid was onboard I just set the 1st boot device to CDrom and second to Raid controller and off I went, all the raid is handled by the bios, but that seems rather to simple to be your solution so sorry if it sound like I'm stating the obvious

4. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe your W98SE CD is different from mine, but you should just be able to 'Start the computer WITHOUT CD-ROM support' from a DOS menu. Then you would just run FDisk to create partitions from the command prompt.

You could create all the partitions you need (C; D; E etc) with the W98SE FDisk utility, but just format the FAT32 C partition after reboot. (BTW FAT16 is faster than FAT32 but costs some space). Install W98SE and set it up as you want it etc and then install WXP when that's done satisfactorily.

WXP will ask you where you want to install it and can format the NTSC drives you have already partitioned during the text mode portion of its setup. As long as you don't install XP in C (where W98 will be) it will automatically create a boot menu for you to select from when you boot up the computer and it will leave your W98SE installation intact.

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The first this to remember is when installing different operating systems there is an order. ie win98 will Kill NT

My servers all run Adaptec Raid controlllers but from what I can tell because they are hardware controllers this seems not to affect the opperating system.

I run different operating systems (win98, Win NT, Win2k, WinXP) on one drive partitioned. If you want PM me and I will give my tel number