1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9800 Pro Fan Mod

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by CENSORED, Nov 2, 2003.

1. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This used to be a Connect 3D 9800 Pro which has some of the best overclocking on a Radeon card. Tweakmonster ramsinks will go on the memory (2.8 Samsung) after which it will go to live in a Vapochill Xtreme Edition. Clocking should be well in excess of 440 core and 750 mem. If that doesn't get Halo running at a decent framerate nothing will.

Attached Files:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's obscene. :rotfl:

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you don't need to use any PCI slots then :D

I assume you've removed the core's protective "shim" or modified the heatsink accordingly?

Have waterblocks fitted to both my 9800 Pros (DD Maz3 & Maze 4). Both are quite happy 24/7 @ 490/780. Will benchmark @ 500/800 but who's counting :D

Still doesn't like Halo above 1280x1024 with AA/AF :(

:smoke:

4. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer,

Leaves two PCI slots free, only need one for the Audigy 2 as this is a games machine ONLY. Shim was left in place. I ran a straight edge across the shim and it removed all of the thermal grease which was very evenly covered across the gpu core, maybe the better heatsink contact is responsible for the great clocks on Connect3D cards. Laid the straight edge across the shim and it's perfectly level with the gpu so no need to remove it. However, I removed about 1mm of ali from the base of the heatsink leaving a square shaped high spot in the middle which, after much measuring and constant rechecking, was a perfect fit over the gpu. Placed a thin film of thermal grease on the gpu, fitted the heatsink then removed it and checked the imprint - bang on.

The heatsink was fitted and bolted through the card with double nuts and a washer on top of a plastic insulator. There is no spring loading on the mountings, it is a snug fit under slight tension. There was a very slight bend on the card when I checked it with the straight edge so I wound the nuts out one flat each, retightened them and checked the card again with the straight edge. Perfect.

Memory will be passively cooled only as there isn't much of a heat issue with memory anyway, and what there is has a correlation with gpu temperature which is well taken care of now. Vapochill has a side window so the graphics card should look well hard. Might try an illuminated fan just for the hell of it.

5. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Looks noisy... but cool :)

6. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about two PCI slots available, luckily only one will be needed.

Attached Files:

7. Rambo BloodAxe

Rambo BloodAxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is just a monster! Nicely done :D

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

An old picture of my former watercooled 9700 Pro.

:p

:smashin:

9. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the heatsink and fan from my Intel 3.0/800 which is not required in the Vapochill case. It has a thick solid copper baseplate and a million fins giving it a considerable surface area, in fact enough to o/c the cpu to around 3.5GHz on a good day. Now this could be a serious proposition for a graphics card. In fact, if I don't get a sizeable o/c with the ali. heatsink this is going on that board, no question.

Attached Files: