1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9800 AIW / Sky problems

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ukwill, Jun 25, 2005.

1. ukwill

ukwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all

Im pulling my hair out trying to get sky on my pc... I have coax running from my digibox (RF2-Out) to my All-In-Wonder. In the AIW TV Setup, Ive selected Analogue Input. When I run through the Autoscan Initialization wizard no channels are detected :thumbsdow

If I remove the coax from the PC and plug it into another TV instead and do a scan, channel 69 comes up with the Sky Picture perfectly...

Am I missing some fundamental step within the ATI setup ?

anyone shed any light on this - its driving me up the wall :suicide:

cheers
    will

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Have you correctly set it up for PAL I and if so can't you manually select a RF channel?
    Try setting the SKY RF frequency to someother number, there may be some interference that is extremely localised.

Is the TV that you try the coax on in the same room, I mean is being fed by the same cable since there may be some issues with cable quality/length.

3. chelski

chelski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup, all setup for pal-i. also tried setting sky RF to other channels. tv im trying is being fed by the same cable...

help me obi-1... :lease: :suicide:

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Just had a look at my TV card setup, do you have the option of analogue antenna and analogue cable?
    How about trying another RF feed, from the VCR or perhaps the actual aerial itself using the existing cable as an extension.
    At least that will clarify if the problem is indeed with the TV card.
    Is the RF2 power off?
    Long shot I know but grasping at straws now:)

5. ukwill

ukwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i did have the option for analogue antenna/cable, but after not getting anything working I upgraded to MMC9.08 and compounded the problem as then I only got composite or svideo as options --- so Ive uninstalled mmc9.08 and am going to reinstall mmc 8.x tonight to get the analogue option back.

unfortunately i dont have a VCR to try out. what do you mean about trying the actual aerial itself ? do you mean getting a Y splitter and taking a feed direct from the aerial input into the digibox and running it into the tv card ? (if so how ?)

Ive turned the RF Power on from within the SKY installer menu.

thanks for helping me out with this :thumbsup: . tbh, im amazed that there isnt some better documentation on getting this working - all ive been going on is info ive found on various forums

cheers
    will

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I mean instead of taking the RF feed from the digibox connect the aerial directly to the TV card (that's assuming you still have an indoor or rooftop aerial for analogue reception which you were passing through the digibox).
    If you can not tune into the normal terrestrial analogue channels then it's pointing to a problem with the TV cards tuner and not the digibox.

If you are not passing through the terrestrial analogue channels and are just using the digibox RF output to watch SKY then obviously the above isn't relevant.

As for the RF2 power it should be off, it's only needed for when you are using the TVlink and it's not a great idea to put voltage into an aerial input which was designed for such a thing.

7. ukwill

ukwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok im a tad confused (apologies in advance)!

on my mates setup for his little girls PC we got the sky bloke to run another cable from his skydish (with twin lnb) into his daughters bedroom and then into the back of the tv card.

can i do the same thing but effectively from the splitter on the "aerial in" on the bak of the digibox?

if so, considering my aiw-9800 doesnt have an "aerial in" (only analogue/digital in) what cable/ends do I need to get to connect from the splitter to the aiw-9800?

or am i hopelessly confused?

cheers
    will

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Ok:)

First your mates PC has a satellite card which is why the LNB is connected directly to the PC. From looking at the ATI website the 9800 is not a satellite card it just has an analogue tuner which is fed from either a rooftop or cable aerial or as you are attempting to do via the RF output of the modulator inside of a digibox.

So who has got the wrong end of the stick, you or me:)

9. ukwill

ukwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    dont worry its definately me who has the wrong end of the stick!

i kind of hoped I could get some kind of connector that would allow me to stick the cable from the sky lnb (via a splitter) into my pc. as it seems like i cant, i guess i have to continue down the route that i was taking over the weekend (ie. via the rf-out)

i dont have an aerial on the roof - i get my reception via my skydish. does this mean im screwed ? if so, how come when i plug a normal tv into the rf2-out, i am able to see the sky picture when i tune it into channel 69?

at this rate i might just be better off spending £20 on a tv card and plugging in like on my mates setup??

:suicide:

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Well you can buy a satellite TV card but you will only be able to watch the FTA channels on Dsat such as the BBC. ITV,CH4 etc still require a smartcard which only works in a SKY digibox although CAMS are appearing but at this time they are only practical if you have a good baseline knowledge in both PC and satellite tinkering.

I just mentioned the rooftop aerial to give you another RF source to test the TV cards tuners, you don't need an aerial if you only want to watch the digibox output.
    SKY digiboxes have a RF modulator which is why you see the picture when connecting it to a TV via coaxial (RF, aerial) cable so you can connect the digibox to the tv card using RF.

Now you have lost me again, I thought the AIW 9800 had an RF input for connecting an aerial or other RF source?

A TV card can also be connected to a digibox via RCA phonos (composite video and stereo audio), better video/audio quality bit obviously more cables.

11. ukwill

ukwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sorry i keep losing you - i lost myself ages ago :rolleyes: :D

the 9800 does have an RF input connector on the back, I connect a tv aerial flylead from the RF2-Out on the digibox to it.

after that though, i thought it was just a case of using the ati software to tune into the channel (ie. 68/69) and hey presto.

ive prooved that it works if i plug the same cable into a spare tv and tune into channel 69.

thats the bit im now stuck on - what next to try ?

(when i tried to upgrade to mmc 9.08 i no longer got an option to choose analogue input - only composite or svideo. so tonight im reinstalling v8.x -- but then i'll be back to where i started originally)!