1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9700 Pro to Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by aerialman, Jun 3, 2003.

1. aerialman

aerialman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking/about to buy a 1024x1024 plasma, and as a newbie I am unsure wether I will get a good enough output from my Saphire 9700Pro card as 1024x1024 is not a listed reolution in the ATI driver software.

All I really want to know is will I be able to connect and play games and use the desktop without loss of quality or will bits of the screen be missing/stretched? I intend to coonect with VGA cable.

Thanks

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I've just connected a Radeon 9700 Pro to my plasma -- been buying new HTPC kit again -- and running at native resolution of 1366x768.

You can use Powerstrip to setup new resolutions, e.g. 1024x1024
    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm
    It's easy to use, although can be complex one you get past the very basics; however, help can be found all over the internet.

Your key consideration here is that "1024x1024" plasmas are ALIS; which are the only plasma screens that interlace. ALIS means Alternate LIghting of Surfaces. The native resolution for the "1024x1024" ALIS screen used by Fujitsu and Hitachi is actually 1024x512. Two interlaced fields in the same frame are displayed one after the other, to give the illusion of the vertical resolution being twice the native resolution.

From what I understand, ALIS plasmas are best fed with interlaced signals rather than progressive signals that a PC (or prog-scan DVD player) will output. This is because the hardware inside the screen will digitise and then interlace the incoming signal (even the RGBHV one from a PC).

Luckily Powerstrip allows you to create interlaced resolutions too.

If you are going to get ALIS plasma and want to use a PC, Powerstrip is going to be an essential purchase for you.

StooMonster

3. aerialman

aerialman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stoo,

To confirm, is VGA an analogue/interlaced signal?

Thanks

4. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A PC VGA signal is usually analogue/progressive.

RAMiAM

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    RAMiAM is correct, VGA is an analogue progressive signal.

Powerstrip enables you output an analogue interlace signal -- but I have no idea if this is compatible with an ALIS screen particularly in regard to refresh rates.

If you are considering one of these ALIS interlacing screens, you should do some research on getting the best out of PC signal. I suggest that it's going to be more complex than a regular progressive plasma!

StooMonster

6. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The Hitachi 42PD3000 will accept a 1024 x 768 signal via its d-sub connector at a variety of progresive frequencies. The ALIS electronics sort out the signal for the screen. In tests on my screen the output from a Radeon 8500 AIW card was best at this resolution 1280 by 1024 in comparison was less clear.

Although the ALIS system is interlaced the effect is quite different from a CRT display ie no flicker. There is a good explanation of the technology on the Nexnix site or on Hitachi's site.

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,611
    You will easily be able to compare progressive and interlaced output but I haven't bothered - I'm using progressive and the quality is stunning. It's what made me buy a plasma.