96mhz pcm

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Steve_e42, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a recent trip to the US, I purchased a DTS cd of Queen's A Night At The Opera. The multi channel DTS mix is great, but it also has a 96 mhz pcm track. I have tried to play this, but my amp says the signal is 48mhz. I am using sony dvn700 dvd player and sony 870 amp. Its a coax connection, which the amp manual says can handle 96 mhz. Anyone know why I dont seem to be getting 96mhz? Thanks

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,497
    Are you sure the dvd player can pass a 96khz signal digitally?? I was only aware that Pioneer players could do this.

If it can, then check that it isnt downsampling the signal to 48khz. In the audio options menu.

Short of all that you´ll have to connect the player to the amp via an analogue connection to hear the 96khz track.

3. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Jase

dunno about 96mHz :confused: - you probably mean 96kHz :D

On many players (my Pioneer 717), you have to enable the 96kHz output
    as the default is to downconvert to 48kHz 20bit.

Not all manufacturers support outputing of 96kHz anyway, and I suspect
    that Sony may just be one of them. I suggest you check the manual to see if
    it mentions anything about 96kHz 24bit DVD's

HTH

4. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.. yes khz! .. the dvd manual does say it can output at 96, so I'm unsure why it only seems to be 48.

5. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,497
    Probably means via the analogue outputs, my Toshibas output via the analogue outs as does my old Panasonic player. Neither output the 96khz signal digitally.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Tag and some Pannys can do 96 output as well as pioneer. Most do not. Gennerally it is in the set up of the player (Tag always does 96). Some disc can prevent the player outputting 96 via SPDIF even though they can do theis interanlly, it is one of the flags on DVDs.

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hey dudes

The only Sony DVD-V player that I have heard of (725 & 735s could not stream 96khz for example - well not that Im aware of) that can pass a true 24 Bit 96khz PCM stream is the NSV-900 SACD/DVD-V player. I too purchased a Pioneer 717 due to its true 24/96 pcm capability but the 24/96 DAD format never really took off - which was a shame as many DVD-V owners could have benefitted from the wonderful quality of recording but the DVD industry went and chose DVD-A as there carrier - a big mistake IMHO..

Steve as Mike says - Pioneer owners have to select which level of pcm stream they wish to use, I have mine set at 96khz all the time, but Im sure that new some players like the Denon 2800-3800s 'auto' detect the level of signal to be sent via the dig. outputs. One last thing maybe your amp is downmixing the signal to 48khz even if the 7700 is sending it 96khz. I tried a 24/96khz DAD to my TAG DAC20 and it would'nt even downmix - pure silence was all I heard even though it can handle 48khz from normal DVD-V set as a linear pcm output.

HTHs