Question 96Khz audio extraction from HDMI

tkimages

Standard Member
Hi,

I tried to use the optical out from my LG 4K blu-ray player (UKB90) to input hires audio into my music system, but it was limited to 48Khz. Apparently full res (96Khz) is only available on HDMI (DRM and all that!!), and my audio system has no HDMI audio input. So I need a 'box' that will strip out the hires audio from an HDMI lead and output it still at 96k (or higher) via optical or digital coax, and still pass through the 'full fat' video content to the LG OLED. Meridian do one which would match my system, but it's way OTT in both specification and price!
Anyone tried one (about £100) that will do the job successfully without messing up the sound?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice offered.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Anyone tried one (about £100)' - plenty folk have tried all manner of boxes which promised to work but don't due to licensing.

A few folk used to offer mod kits for various low cost switch gear - we used to supply a guy in Aus with our original Octava 4x2 HDMI + multichannel audio switch which he added a board too which offered the multiple digital outputs for Meridian processors.

There is an HDMI to DSD box you can source in HK/China at around $460 which apparently works very well.

Joe

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Alas getting digital out over 48k is tricky and arguably not readily available (legality). I am also not sure how you unwrap the CODECs to individual channels unless you are clever enough to transfer to a 7.1 stream to a number of digital outs then mutable DACs or a multichannel DAC. Ofcourse if you are running heights then you have no chance ! and if you are talking converting to a smaller number of channels than on the transfer then that will require some processing

tkimages

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies. I do not have AV system, I only want to output the audio into a 'normal' 2 channel audio system (Meridian 808v6, DSP5200SE).

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'I only want to output the audio into a 'normal' 2 channel audio system (Meridian 808v6, DSP5200SE)' - which is what the HDMI 2 DSD converter is designed for, just not at your preferred price point!

Joe

tkimages

Standard Member
I didn't realise that it wasn't such a straightforward thing to do. Thanks for all the help and advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom