1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

963SA Questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Klippie, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi,

A few weeks ago I bought a 963SA, now I have a few queries.

It is connected to a Sony HS10.

Sometimes the screen is split in two and the machine requires the power to be shut off at the plug and restarted to get the image back to normal.

There appears to be very faint vertical bands on the left side of the screen these can only be seen when the picture is dark, they cannot be seen during normal playback. I have tried to adjust them out using the settings on the machine but they are there
    all the same.

But the biggest annoyance is the cropping of the image when viewing 2.35:1 dvd's using pal progressive it easily removes 60mm from the bottom of the picture on top of the black bars you already get with these ratio dvd's, 1.85:1 dvd's are perfect and fill the whole screen......very strange. If I flick the switch to interlaced mode the image size is normal with all ratio dvd's.

It is definitely the player that is at fault not the projector.

I think I will e-mail Philips and give them the wrath because this is obviously a sub standard machine and should never have been allowed out of the factory.

Its a pity as the image and sound quality are really superb but the player overall should be better.

Stupid bloody niggly faults!

Has anybody else had similar problems?

Klippie.

2. mobo

mobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a 963SA two months ago, and it's connected to a Barco Cine 6 trough the component output (575p).

I have never observed the split screen phenomenon, while the two faint greenish bands are visible in dark scenes on the left side. These bands are rather annoying, as I know they are there even when they can't be seen, and I always look for them. This bug represents a real minus for the player.

I have not observed the cropping of the image in 2.35:1 DVDs: rather, the whole image for all the anamorphic DVDs (any ratio) is shifted towards up (about 8 cm in my system).

I agree that these stupid bugs make faulty a player which shows very good PQ and that sounds magnifically.

Also I will e-mail Philips about the bugs.
    I hope that an early firmware upgrade by Philips can resolve the problems.

Marco

3. TimD

TimD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had the stripes on the left hand side of the screen with my first 963SA, so I returned it.

The replacement unit is fine, no more lines.

Tim

4. anbjornk

anbjornk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It happens to me too.... VERY annoying..... I think I'll look for a firmware update..

Regards

AK

5. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Klippie: Yes I too get the split-screen phenomenon! I use a Sony HS-1 PJ. Sometimes it goes away by just restarting the player, but the last time it called for unplugging from the mains, as you said. Quite irritating. It would be nice if someone could find a way around this (perhaps even Philips!)

As for the cropping problem, I have that as well. And no, it's not cropping an equal amount of all four sides, so I've had to adjust the picture position on the PJ. I actually thought this kind of overscan (is that the term for this?) was more or less a general thing - and not related to the 963SA in particular. But now I'm getting nervous :)

And then there's the lipsynch on a few discs. I hope there won't be any more little "surprises" with the player - or even better if a firmware update could correct these problems!

6. a_b

a_b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This "split screen" appears to be one of the annoying bugs when it is connected to Sony (like switching audio mode when connected to Denon!). This Philips is not perfect, but you can adopt if you do not mind (if you do, probably it is time to sell).

Here is my "ritual" wiht this DVD player:
    - make sure the Philips is switched off and there is no disk in the tray (important to avoid split image !)
    - switch on Sony PJ and wait until "no input" message appears
    - switch on the Philips - there should be no split image now!
    - do not forget to change my Denon to Dolby, because it is set to stereo when the Philips is switched on
    - Now load the disk, sit down, relax and watch the movie...
    - No-o-o. I forgot - I have to stand up, walk to the Philips and press "play" - the remote is not working from any side position.

Well, it does some things right, importanly amongst those which count.

7. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    a_b,

This is basically what I do now, but you should not have to. My three year old Hitachi just plays with no problem at all ( apart from jaggies and no component connections ) so Philips should not sell machines have not been developed fully, its a shame because it the picture quality really is superb.

I am seriously thinking about demanding a new machine from Philips or a new firmware upgrade at least to fix these stupid problems.

As for the remote do you have a Pronto, they have much more powerful IR transmitters in then and work fine.

We should not have to suffer using these machines, please get onto Philips its the only way we will get our machines fixed.

Klippie.

8. a_b

a_b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Klippie,

Thanks for support - good points. However, complaints about bugs in PAL-prog are argueably shaky - it is not officially supported and is the result of a hack. Remote issue is down to the design - which is poor, but does not contradict to the spec (and yes, I tried Pronto, and I own Maranz - they just do not work from angle). Audio switching with Denons and a non-removeable angle sign (widely discussed on AVS forums) are clearly software bugs which I will report to Philips - there are some rumors on AVS forums that a fix may be available, at least for the latter one.
    On a separate note, how do you like your colours? Did you have to re-calibrate the Sony to use Pal-prog? Of all outputs, I found S-video is the easiest to produce a great picture on the Sony PJ - I think because it has brightness/contrast/saturation adjustments on the player. The component has only gamma for colour adjustments, which is kind of a "global" fix and does not help colour saturation - so the picture is a bit "washed-out" for my liking. I would prefer more saturated colours, but of course component output is a different chip (fli2310 + whatever DAC) from RGB & S-video, I guess its implementation by Philips just does not produce more saturated colors.

Sorry - off topic!

9. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    a_b,

I am more than happy with the colours on my projector.

I dont use anything but pal progressive scan when watching dvd's, I set the gains and bias for the HS10 using Dave Boswell's % change settings ( new settings posted recently on AVS but not had a chance to try them out ) for the CC40R filter and set up the colours this way, then some final tweaking to suit my own preferences using the HS10's user menu.

Klippie.

10. a_b

a_b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Klippie - thanks!