963SA or SD900E

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ekko Star, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Have been looking out for a new PAL PS player for my AE100.

The 963 is obviously getting a lot of attention at the moment.

However I can currently get hold of a Tosh SD900E. I realise this doesn't do PAL PS, but from what it sounds it's interlaced output is very good.

Which would be better with the AE100 ? Does the Tosh interlaced truly give the 963 Pal PS more than a run for it's money ?

I currently have a Sony NS900 running off components and this gives a superb image. I would be quite surprised to see PAL PS be significantly that much better and I haven't seen anything in action as yet. But seeing Pal PS is the way to go from so many folk here I guess it's where I should be heading.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Philips and Toshiba are both excellent players, but personally, it's not worth the difference to upgrade your Sony, especially as you are happy with it.
    Wait to see what happens, next year's machines can only be better and cheaper.

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Thx gringottsdirect

Well it's not quite an upgrade as I do need another player and will be keeping the NS900.

I am very tempted by the SD900 especially as they are officially discontinued as of this month by Toshiba.

As if that wasn't enough, I have also now discovered that the Tosh SD900 can now indeed do pure PAL PS from a standard R2 PAL disc with new firmware installed.:D

Do I take it that it now makes it the better machine over the Philips ? Out of interest for those that have seen these two machines is the Tosh NTSC PS (on an unmodifed machine) better than the 963 NTSC PS ?

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I didn't know that ....:smashin:

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Ekko Star,

Please tell us about this firmware update to make the SD900E PAL progressive scan. :smashin: I'm sure it would make it a better machine than the Philips - the Tosh is built like a battleship!:)

Steve

6. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Hi Ekko Star,

can you please tell me how you found out about this new firmware for pure pal ps.

dvd

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    When this machine first came out I think it was one of the first to have PS of any sort (not sure ?)

Therefore I think this long running question of the ToshSD900E not being able to be modified to do PAL PS specifically was always the subject of keeping on the right side of the Macrovision brigade. I think it was a very sensitive subject back then.

It's funny how now that all the new players are coming out that all of a sudden it can be modified eh ? :mad:Oh well at least now it can be !:D

I spoke to www.leconcepts.com. They have it mentioned on their website but it wasn't exactly clear from there to say the least. After a number of lengthy conversations with them today it categorically is NTSC as NTSC PS and PAL as Pure PAL PS. I have to make it clear that this is NOT the Pseudo PAL we are talking about here. PURE PAL PS only !! Believe me I took some convincing but they were very technical about explaining what it is now enabled to do with their upgrade. Yes they definitely know what they're talking about!

They have recently got the disc that not only modifies the machine into Multi Region but it also completely modifies the machines firmware to release the PAL PS stream. It is a software mod only and not a hardware one.

They sell it for £699 fully modified ready to go. They could not compare it to the Philips as they don't sell Philips. However the bloke did say that although the replacment flagship SD9500 was a better machine (also PAL PS enabled) in no way whatsoever was it a £1000 better machine.

Luckily I have been offered it for a lot less than that from my usual dealer which is why I was comparing it to the 963. But that was originally on the basis of SD900PAL interlaced vs 963's PAL PS.

gringottsdirect m8, I take it that it is the better machine to go for then ? I know there is always better around the corner but sometimes the best machines never really get bettered if you know what I mean ?

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    ok m8 I think I may just give it a go tomorrow. Trust me I think I bored them senseless with my questions, "Yes sir True Pal PS is what it does as our firmware simply releases the PAL PS stream that was originally officially restricted" " No sir it is not Pseudo PAL" etc etc etc......

I really hate it when they keep software upgrades from people, don't you ? This could have been released long, long ago. I also suppose many people would also have kept a hold of this machine had they known this was possible.

To tell you a story.... I have a Panasonic Portable DVD player which I had modified. It was a software update needed and everywhere I went they all said yes it would enable Multi-region. However, I also wanted Macrovison off and CGMS off and they ALL said no sorry but it can't be done. Every single one categorically said no. And you know what??? The exact very same disc they used to upgrade to multi region on that machine was the same software to disable Macrovision and CGMS. You only had to enter a different code once into the firmware of the machine.

I suppose it's not what you know it's what they want to tell you.:mad:

10. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    i bought the tosh SD900E from L E about 8 months ago, i wonder if they would upgrade it for me ?

i'll give them a ring.

dvd

11. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    I´ve emailed them to see if this is the case, hope so now I´ve got a TV that accepts PAL Progressive.:)

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Oh well I just spoke to them again just now to confirm once again and the guy there now says he got it all wrong yesterday and it is not true PAL PS.

Major Bummer:thumbsdow

Though, I still might go for the machine as it's good in many other ways.