963sa or plasma issue

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SmegFirk, Dec 26, 2002.

1. SmegFirk

SmegFirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting some graininess/dithered image on my 37" Panny5 when using progressive pal+ntsc dvds... i'm using a philips 963sa with the pal prog hack...

The Matrix looks fairly bad... as does Minority Report... I have all the progressive settings on (DCDi etc) on the player, and the screen is fine with Sky Digital sources...

Is this normal? My pc on a 19"crt looked crisper, as did an interlaced player through scart to a crt tv...

Anything i'm stupidly forgetting to do?

Currently i don't think my plasma/dvd is performing as well as it could/should

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both Minority Repory and The Matrix are grainy films, so what you see is what's encoded on the disk.

You can't "fix" it with player settings, because its not broken!

FYI I use:

Gamma - 0
    Sharpness - 0
    TrueLife - 0
    DCDi - ON

3. SmegFirk

SmegFirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks...:)

I currently run a digital coax to a 5.1 decoder that can't do DTS... if i put all these 5+sub into the connections in the 963, can it decode DTS to those outputs? what about volume control?

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, the 963SA has a built in DD and DTS decoder, so you just connect your 5.1 outputs on the Philips to the 5.1 inputs on your amp.

You can just use the volume control on your amp I'd imagine.

5. SmegFirk

SmegFirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no good... it's a 5.1 pc setup.... 5.1 outputs, stereo/ac-3 input. can i connect the speakers directly to the 963?

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, you won't be able to do that, as the signal from the Philips isn't amplified

7. SmegFirk

SmegFirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on a different subject... ;) 480p or unprossessed?

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the vertical resolution of your plasma?

If its 480 then leave it at 480P, if it has a higher vertical resolution (say 1024x768) then put it on "unprocessed" which will give you 575 lines of veritcal resolution from a PAL source.

You'll get no more than 480P from an NTSC source.

9. SmegFirk

SmegFirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy.... regarding getting DTS... i have a technics hifi which states....

SC-EH780
    Technical Specification

Performance Features

6-channnel discrete inputs ready for Dolby Digital .......

If i run leads to these from the 963 outputs will the technics amp just output the DTS, or would it say "this is something other than DD5.1" and give me static..?

My other option is to get a DTS capable pc sound setup like the creative inspire 5.1 5700 model, which my pc could use too (about £200)

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i run leads to these from the 963 outputs will the technics amp just output the DTS

yes, it will output DTS.

The reason that players such as the 963SA sometimes have internal decoders is people using older ProLogic amps with 6 inputs will be able to take advantage of the internal decoding of the player.

In your case, you'll be able to use your Technics to replay DD5.1, DTS and even SACD!

The thing to remember is that the Philips will do the decode for you,output it as analogue, and your Technics will simple act as an amplifier, not a decoder :)

11. SmegFirk

SmegFirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent.... i have the sub from a 5.1 pc setup (it can't do dts) i can use that with the speakers i got with the hifi....

At the moment i run digital coax to the control/decode box of my 5.1 pc speakers, but that box doesn't do DTS and doesn't have 6 descrete inputs... from what you say, i can get DTS at minimal extra cost (cables)... thanks.

12. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Puddleduck
    Its not just the really old prologic amps that benefit, I compared my yamaha dsp a5 via digital connection to the analogue output of the 963 going into my external decoder inputs.

Well the 963 trounces the a5 in every test, in cd its much better, the sound of the 963 makes the a5 sound like its sound is a square waveform. The 963 by comparison sounds like a perfect wave, very smooth and revealing.

Have to say I was quite suprised by this and are now getting another 2 set's of £30 stereo interconnects for the center/sub + rears.

The a5 is over 2.5 years old so dsp technology has moved on a fair bit since then I bet, I guess people replace their dvd players more often then their amps.

I wonder how much I would have to spend to get the same cd/dd/dts quality in another amp??

Cheers
    John