9607 Problems, curves etc

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Jezs, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Jezs

Jezs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Philips 36PW9607. The picture quality is great apart from that I have a few problems - I guess with geomotry.

When I first got the TV I noticed the picture was at an angle - I can correct this with the tilt function - but is this normal?

Also, when I put on the SKY On Screen banner - like the information about the program etc over the top of the picture - it is sometimes distorted and unstable - then sometimes it just sorts itself out. It kind of bends a little and stretches on the sides. It appears to be worse when you switch to channels with different screen formats - eg when the tv switches from wide screen to super zoom. Also when you turn on and off the SKY banner with the select and backup key I can see the picture move a bit - it actually seems to straighten up a little when the banner is on.

Also - I notice that straight lines arent that straight. There is definate curves intowards the screen at the top corners especially and a little at the bottom too. If I bring up the service menu and look at the Test Pattern I can see the curve at the top and bottom corners. I tried changing some of the EWP setting but that just seems to make the picture worse elsewhere. Can anyone post their settings for this TV so that I can try them?

The other thing I notice on BBC is that there is sometimes a black bar down the right of the picture - like it has shifted to the left. This is also a little curved at the top - sometimes it moves a little too like the sky banner. This normally happens on news reports - is this normal for widescreen or is it my TV?

Any ideas on whether this is a fault or has anyone else seen this on their 9607?

Thanks..

2. NeilH

NeilH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jez,

I am also considering purchasing this model.

Have these problems put you off, ie would you still make the same choice?

Also, how much did you pay?

3. Jezs

Jezs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil,

The picture quality is really good - and I'm pretty happy with it.

This is my first big widescreen tv so I'm not really sure whether the problems I am seeing are normal.

I paid £1536 from www.PRCDirect.co.uk + 40 quid delivery.

4. NeilH

NeilH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jez,

thanks for the info.

What aother equipment are you using with the TV, eg what DVD player and speakers?

5. Jezs

Jezs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Wharfdale M5 DVD which isnt that great.. A Panasonic Digibox (the silver one) and just use the speakers that came with the TV (Dolby Digital).

One of the main reasons I bought this TV was because its 110 Watts RMS - whereas the Panasonic PB50 is 50 watts RMS.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    No CRT has perfect geometry, but it shouldn't be too bad. If the bending is excessive get an engineer to check it out. My 9607 has very minor bending near the top corners but otherwise is excellent

The distortion of the Sky banner is normal, if a bit annoying. It has something to do with areas of high brightness on the screen. You will see the banner adjust itself as the picture behind changes. Nothing you can do about it.

I haven't messed about twith the service menu, my picture is OK.

The black bar sounds odd. Just the BBC?, and analogue or digital?

7. Jezs

Jezs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,

Thanks for the info. The bending isnt excessive - I just wanted to know if its normal.

Same with the SKY banner - I was just worried as I never saw it on my old 29 inch 4:3 TV (Philips 9413 I think).

The bar on the right hand side of the page is like the picture is left shifted. But I know it isnt because if I shift the picture via the service menu I can see black on the left too. It tends to be on BBC news reports - especially the regional ones - when it switches back to the BBC studio it looks OK again - I assumed it was just BBC using the wrong format. I only see it on SKY Digital.

8. Jezs

Jezs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm - I noticed that the bending of lines near the top corners particularly isnt all the time - its worse when there are bright colours on the screen.