1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9600 + TT1.5 Vs 6600 + TT2.05!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kaz, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! What a difference. My experience in this hobby had lead me not to expect too much of an improvement, but in this case it was wrong.
    My Pio 43MXE-1 absolutely loves this new combo. It’s noticeable on my office PC’s 19 TFT too.

I’ve been able to do back to back viewings and screen shots as well, because I’ve still got one PC running the other.

Main differences:
    Previously it was like there was a fine “gauze” over the screen
    Panning seems smoother
    Colours are much more defined without being pushed (if you know what I mean) this is the biggest improvement IMO but hard to put into words
    Edges are smoother
    Noise is reduced
    The feature of TT2.0 to allow me to sort out audio delays (bliss)

Now of course the title doesn’t say exactly what I’ve been viewing so for clarity:
    Before it was a Saphire Radeon 9600XT 256mb passive, with TT1.5 and sometimes a bit of FFdshow.
    Now it’s a Leadtek Winfast A6600GT TDH 128Mb (AGP) (bought in Tokyo, it’s got a different cooler/fan but otherwise is identical to the UK version), with TT2.05 using VMR9 for DVD and nVidia post processing

worth going for it IMO

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you compared TT2 with the two cards you'd see very little difference if your experience was like mine .. the major difference between 1.5 and 2.0 are the NVidia codecs, irrespective of graphics card.

3. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Robin, thought this would be of interest to you.
    What about the Nvidea post processing, isn't that a function of the gcard and so something you can't do with a Radeon?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're referring to NVPP I take it.

This remains a mystery in spite of many postings about it. I know it does 3:2 pulldown and I know it does YUV->YV12 colour-space conversion, it also supposedly is involved in PureVideo support.

IMX however, with an R9600 it made the image a tad murky and offered no benefits while with a 6800GT I saw no difference.

As usual, I prefer practical results to theory, even IF it was responsible for PureVideo that in turn made little to no discernable difference with the 6800.

Of course, time moves on and newer drivers have emerged as well as updated NV4X chipsets, things may have changed in the usefulness of NVPP for NVidia cards, with Radeons however it's clear that NVPP is detrimental to PQ.

5. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the practical result is I now have that "must watch all my DVDs again" feeling :D

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What a high price to pay. :)