1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9600 better than 9500?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by gargoyle, Sep 29, 2003.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Having owned my radeon 9500 non pro (softmodded) for nearly a year and feeling that it was in need of a more powerful fan to facilitate overclocking, I purchased an Iceberq 4 unit but on installing it, found that the card started to exhibiting serious artifacting and replacing the origional fan unit did not resolve this.
    I've sent it back to novatech but was told that removing the fan may have invalidated the one year warranty so if the error is hardware based, I may have to cough up for a new gfx card.
    I'd ideally like to purchase a 9500 but I gather that this has been replaced with the 9600 - can anyone tell me how this compares to a 9500 non pro and which specific model to pick up? My budget can only stretch to £125.

2. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, that's a toughie! I assume you opened up all 8 pipelines on your 9500 with the mod. Strictly speaking the chipset sample for your board was sorted on the basis of 4 operational pipelines, managing to get the rest working is a bonus but something appears to have gone wrong with your fan swap and it may be that some of the 'bad' pipelines have broken causing the artefact problem, possibly as a result of heat damage given that you were replacing the fan. I'm not too clued up on the 9500 mod but it might be worth flashing your cards original bios to see if the artefacting has gone away once you revert back to 4 pipelines.

On the question of the 9600. Several users are reporting being able to clock their boards up to, and frequently beyond, 9600 Pro core and memory clocks without the need to flash the Pro bios onto the card. This is probably a tad safer than a bios flash as I believe the non Pro 9600 has no fan! CCL Computers do the 9600 non Pro for about £88.00 though you may get a better deal if you shop around. Personally I would try for a Sapphire card as their memory chips tend to be fast Samsung in most cases and therefore more overclock friendly.

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0