96/24 discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pat clancy, Oct 23, 2002.

1. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    whats the differance between a cd with 96/24 and dvd audio disc with 96/24,and can i play a dvd audio 96/24 on my pioneer 444 and get the benefit,rgrds pat

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The (promised) benefit is of course a better sound. However note that there are quite a few formats around:

dts 24/96 - requires a matching dts 254/96 decoder; only found on newer AV amps/receivers (but is IMHO backwards compatible though it will play then at 48kHz only)

DVD-Video 24/96 - IMHO the first attempt at a high resolution audio format before DVD-A and SACD were available, also allows short video clips or still pictures; requires a 24/96 decoder inside the player or the AV amp/receiver

DVD-Audio 24/96 - one of the possible formats of DVD-A (max. 24/192). Requires a DVD-A compatible player and usually the decoding is done in the player as there is currently no digital interface for transferring DVD-A (beside some proprietery solutions)

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, 24-bit 96kHz DVDs (DADs) exist, while 24-bit 96kHz CDs do not; CDs are restricted to 16-bit 44.1kHz.

Your Pioneer includes 24-bit 192kHz DACs so DAD discs will be heard at full resolution from the player's analogue RCA outputs. The player is also capable of outputting 24-bit 96kHz material from its digital outputs, allowing external processing by suitably equipped amplifiers and processors.

While you are capable of playing DADs, they are quite uncommon.

Adam

4. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi adam,so what material can i enjoy in 24/96,my yam a5 has 24/96.So my dvd has a 24/96 dac,and so has my yam, is that correct so so i can use the dac in the dvd or the amp,is that right,rgrds pat

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Queen's Greatest Video Hits 1.
    Bought mine tonight @ MVC

6. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There isn't much in the way of non-MLP packed 24/96 material to listen to nowadays. Some DVD-Audio discs include a standard 24/96 soundtrack and DADs can be purchased from companies such as Chesky.

I'm not familiar with the A5, but if it includes 24-bit 96kHz DACs then DADs should work fine with it using the Pioneer player. You can also use the DVD player's DAC if you so choose, via its analogue outputs.

Adam

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    is that correct so so i can use the dac in the dvd or the amp,..

Yes, that's correct - you can use either. Actually you can only use the amp's DAC for 24/96 if the player allows streaming (digital output) of 24/96. Some players (usually older ones) do not!