1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9500 Pro

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by henry1234, Jan 12, 2003.

1. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Has anyone actually got one of these yet. If so where from. I'm having a hard time trying to find anyone who has them in stock in the U.K.

Also I cant find out wether or not they have any stability issues with a VIAKT133 chipset from on an Abit KT7 mobo, anyone know?

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Jeffs got one, I beleive he got it from dabs and they had them in stock last week when I looked, otherwise how about http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/ , I've been considering this one myself hence I've been looking.

3. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wouldn't bother with the 9500 PRO, buy a 9500 NON-PRO 128meg, software hack allows you to turn it into a 9700 or 9700 PRO if you overclock it a touch.

I know because I've done it and it works. Using the Connect3D model.

Ian

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    It depends, when I looked the choice was between a 64MB non pro and a 128MB pro, the price difference was about £15. There are other considerations such as ATI vs 3rd part made boards. Also while a pro board and a non pro board might be identical apart from firmware, the pro boards MAY have gone through a stricter quality control process.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ian

Thats handy that it really does work as I ordered one of these yesterday from theoverclockingstore having picked up on the software hack over at AVS, dont suppose it'll make much difference for HTPC having all 8 pipelines rather than the standard 4 but it cant hurt:D

If it does work I suppose I'll have to get one for my desktop machine too;)

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There are two scripts currently available (W1zzard's and Unwinder's) and both have nearly 100% rate success in terms of conversion. Whether your card will operate with rendering artifacts afterwards is less certain. Currently the success rate for modding cards from 9500NP-to-9700NP spec without artifacting is about 30-40%. Cards with mismatched PCB/ASIC week codes tend to give worse results (mine is 36/46, for example, and is a complete DOG - can't be modded at all by hardware or software methods).

It's definitely worth a shot, IMO, but of course for HTPC use the 9500NP is just fine, even in 4-pipe/128-bit bus mode. :)

MuFu.

7. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MuFu, what do you mean it can't be modded by either method? I had a lot of problems trying to get the software mod to stick - because of windows file protection system. It kept replacing the modded file with a backup. Follow the instructions here http://www.guru3d.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45430 as far as I know the mod works 100% of the time, the only problem is artifacts for some people.

Jeff, I don't understand your reasoning we are talking about turning a 128meg NON PRO in a 9700 not into a 9500 PRO. There is a big difference in price between the 9500 128meg NON PRO and the 9700. Note you must buy the 128meg version of the 9500 NON PRO not the 64meg version (which can only be modded into a 9500 PRO). The PRO version cannot be modded into anything.

Ian

8. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I mean neither of the scripts work (I was lucky enough to beta test both) and the hardware method of changing the pull-up/pull-down configuration switch on the ASIC's PCB doesn't work either. I'm going to try to mod it to a FireGL M1 configuration next (also 8-pipe) and see if I have any better luck that way. Looks doubtful though. :(

Yeah - a lot of people had that problem initially. I think the script was rushed out (in the wake of W1zzard's fantastic effort) without full explanation of how it should be applied. WFP unloads when you manually update a driver from a non-system directory so that method works fine everytime. I think most people have it sussed now. :)

MuFu.

9. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Anything other than slotting the card in and loading the drivers is beyond me at the moment.

I've ordered a Connect 3d 9500 PRO from Kustompcs as they seem the only people who have them in stock.

What is the difference between:

Saphire 9500 PRO
    Connect 3d 9500 PRO
    Hercules 9500 PRO

and how would you rate each one for picture quality.

Also I paid £147inc VAT for this. I just looked on PC PRO and they said retail was £135inc VAT. Any comments apart from I'm stupid!

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tom's hardware guide rate the sapphire's image quality as higher than most.

quick question... can you get ATI built boards in the UK, read something about them being available in US and Canada only?

11. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Mine arrived from the www.theoverclckingstore.co.uk this morning, its one of the Connect3d ones, seems they have some stock.

Wonder if the extra pipelines will open, I'll keep you informed.

12. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Installed the card on Saturday along with DX9 and Cat3 drivers, after recalibrating using Avia I would say that it is an improvement from my 9000 but not much, probably as much to do with the DX9 and Cat 3 from DX8.1 and Cat2.5 as any thing else. Of course its imposssible to do a direct comparison but I think there is better detail in the dark areas (not black as its a LCD didplay:) )

My bigger concern has been the fan...what a noisy bugger it is, by far the loudest thing in my HTPC so I've oredered a Zalman heatpipe cooler to replace it. The other factor has been a big increase in heat inside the case, a rise of about 5C in both idle and load readings compared to the fanless 9000.

Have managed to open up the additional 4 pipelines using the available software hack and doesn't seemed to have made any difference to PQ in an adverse or better way.

I'll keep you informed on the heatpipe fitment.

13. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    John,

I'll be very interested how you get on with the cooling mod. My 9500PRO should be here tomorrow and it will replace a Geforce2MX 32mb. I think I' should be in for a big difference!

Did you order the 9500 and now you have opened the extra pipelines does that mean it is absolutley identical to a 9500PRO?

14. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I ordered the 9500 non pro and with the pipelines open it makes it a 9700 not pro but apparantly could be overclocked to 9700pro speeds.

15. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    John I've been playing around with mine for a week or so. It can definately be run at 9700 PRO speeds and then some! 9700 PRO speeds are 325 core and 310 memory. Mine is currently 350 core and 320 memory. Of course your results may vary.

Talk about bargin of the year! Got two more due tomorrow.

Ian

16. Blaz

Blaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So all I have to do is modify it with software only? I thought that you also had to play around with the hardware but maybe I'm wrong? It's pretty amazing that you can unlock the 4 extra pipelines with software only. Why can't the 9500Pro be modified like the 9500? Thnx in advance

Here's my specs:

WinXP
    Power DVD 4.0 XP
    AMD 1.2 Ghz TB (266FSB)
    Asus A7M DDR mobo (266FSB)
    640 Mb PC2700 ram
    IBM 30 GB HD ATA100 (7200RPM)
    Pioneer DVD 106s 40x16x (slot-in)
    HP CD Writer
    SB Live! 1024
    Sony 17" FD Multiscan 200PS
    Cambridge SoundWorks Digital
    Creative GeForce 2MX (32mb)[/b]

As you can see, I really need that ATi 9500/9500PRO really bad :D

17. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its something to do with the fact it already runs on a 256 bus as oppossed to the non pro 128, once you open the 4 pipelines it then makes it run on a 256 bus hence the junp to 9700 performance.

Yes it is all done with a simple software program so it is not permanent. It works all the time it is installed that way but for instance in my dual boot backup I've got one with and pne without the hack at the moment.

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My new PC at work comes tomorrow, got a 9500 pro in it. Well someone else was paying, and I haven't the time to muck about with it, and might be liable if I damage it. I'll be able to use it with a selection of plasma displays, good scope for experimentation.

19. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Radeon 9500 (non-pro) 128MB uses an R300 ASIC with 4/8 rendering pipelines enabled on the same PCB as the Radeon 9700/Radeon 9700 Pro. This PCB has a 256-bit memory bus but only half of it is used (i.e. a 128-bit path). The most popular theory right now as to why such a product exists is that it is a vehicle for putting to market R300 ASICs that do not have 8 fully functional pixel pipelines (that would otherwise have to be scrapped). These function perfectly with 4 pipelines enabled and have been verified (and etched) accordingly during production. The mod is a device ID spoof that essentially "tells" the card it is a Radeon 9700. The additional 4 pipelines then come into use, as does the full, 256-bit bus. Obviously, you are not guaranteed that the pipelines will function correctly, hence the current failure rate (boards producing artifacts or not working at all in "9700 mode") which is about 60-70%.

The PCB the 9500 Pro is based on only has a 128-bit memory bus and the ASIC already has 8 fully functional pixel pipelines. You can't "unlock" a 256-bus because it simply does not exist.

The software mod was preceeded by a hardware method - moving pull-up/pull-down SMT configuration resistors on the ASIC's PCB which "told" it to become a Radeon 9500/FireGL X1/FireGL M1 etc etc. The newer method really is extremely simple and worth taking a chance with, IMO (although it didn't work at all for me).

MuFu.