940 help needed

mseabroo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Wonder if anyone has suggestions as to what may be wrong with my 940.
It has suddenly refused to produce any sound from the speakers, other than the sub, which is working fine.

I have checked the usual things such a sspeaker switch selection (tried all possitions). It's not muted.
Checked and replugged all of the speaker connections.

Run back through the setup and can't see any thing obviously amis.
If there was short somewhere I would have expected to see the "protect" message in the display but thats not showing up either.

Sort of fearing that the amp section may be dead (lets hope not).

But would appreciate any other ideas or suggestions.
:confused: :(

Not pressed the muting button or switched the speaker switch to off by mistake?

Originally posted by Grimley
Not pressed the muting button or switched the speaker switch to off by mistake?

I have checked the usual things such a sspeaker switch selection (tried all possitions). It's not muted.

I'm assuming this is the Sony STR-DB940 receiver.
Most amps have a circuit that monitors the speaker outputs for damaging DC voltages that would otherwise fry the speakers voice coils, and will quickly open relay in the event of a fault generating DC.
This is because nearly all amps are now directly coupled to give best low frequency performance.
It is possible that one of the channels has developed a fault and the relay is not closing, so as to protect the speakers.

When you power on you should here a click after about three seconds or so as this relay is closed to connect the speakers.
If no click is heard try disconnecting all the phono inputs.
If still no click you probably have a fault on one of the channels or one or all of the internal supply rails are down.
Either way it's beyond user service and needs to be professionally looked at.

Best of luck

Technophobe

Technophobe

Thanks for the advice, yes its a STR-DB940 receiver.
Definately looks like its a problem with the Power Supply or amp section.

When I power on there is a click from the relay but still no sound.
Also tried disconnecting each set of speakers in turn and all together just adding one set back at a time.
Nada though.

Oh well found a local service centre so its been packed up and shipped of, lets hope its back soon.

:(

Sorry Mr. Lynx, Didn't read the post properly!

Good luck with getting the 940 repaired mesabroo, It took the repair centre over three months to repair my old 930 :mad:
That was one of the reasons I bought a 940.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom