Question 934 inputs/arc/optical opinions please

JoeyJoeJo

Standard Member
I had a 9002 that had restricted capability inputs so was using my Sony STR-DH790 as a switch for STB, PS4, TV, Firestick.
The TV got replaced with a 934 and that has 4 inputs with full support on each and has decent-ish built in apps (current issues withstanding) so I don't need the firestick (and never liked it not having IR remote support so that's a good thing).
I'm getting a bit frustrated with issues going through the amp (off the top of my head - SkyQ doesn't recognise 10bit; ATV sync issues; while on PS4, output will drop as if there's no signal; switching sources needs a 2nd selection to get rid of an overlay).
Annoyances rather than showstoppers but I'm now thinking about routing devices straight to the TV inputs and using ARC or optical out from the TV for audio.

Good idea/bad idea?
Is the ARC/optical enough to maintain best quality audio from all sources?
ARC or optical?

Thought I'd ask on here before I go and buy cables, take TV off the wall and run them etc.

JoeyJoeJo

Standard Member
In case anyone is thinking of doing the same - I did this today and after an hour of pulling cables and messing about, immediately reverted.

The TV passed signals no problem, AVR on eARC identifying ATMOS from all sources but all had a sync issue that couldn't be tuned out. The devices all offer menu options for delay but all start at 0 and go positive, I needed a negative value to bring it back. Same apparent on optical.

Might be missing something somewhere but the minor annoyances are easier to live with than out of sync audio across all devices.

redboat77

Novice Member
In case anyone is thinking of doing the same - I did this today and after an hour of pulling cables and messing about, immediately reverted.

The TV passed signals no problem, AVR on eARC identifying ATMOS from all sources but all had a sync issue that couldn't be tuned out. The devices all offer menu options for delay but all start at 0 and go positive, I needed a negative value to bring it back. Same apparent on optical.

Might be missing something somewhere but the minor annoyances are easier to live with than out of sync audio across all devices.
I had a video/sound timing mismatch on my A/V system, and resolved it using Amazon Fire TV Stick. It has both positive and negative timing adjustments. I route the audio from my TV to my integrated amp using an optical cable. Hope this helps.

JoeyJoeJo

Standard Member
Yeah, I have a stick but it's not an IR remote so doesn't suit the household unfortunately (couple of IR harmonies) so it's in a box somewhere.

Maybe one day there will be a universal media playing device for all apps that just works.....!
(not holding my breath obvs)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom