1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

930 to 3801 upgrade ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by xtremecool, Feb 3, 2003.

1. xtremecool

xtremecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am thinking of upgrading my Sony 930 amp to something a bit newer and a lot less hiss :(

After reading around the web it seems that there is little difference between the 3802 and the 3801 (can anyone who has had or heard both confirm this?) and due to this I am thinking of looking around for a SH 3801 to replace the Sony.

The question is do you think it is worth upgrading from the 930 to a 3801?

I use the system about 50/50 music and films with the speakers being B&W 603s up front, LCR60 centre & 600s at rear?

Cheers

Jon

2. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi mate i think the only difference is ther prologic to prologic 2 but im not sure someone else will inform you more on that
    i was just wondering what you recon on your b&w set up as im lookin to get a similar one maybe with the 601's for the rear but are you happy do you have a sub or does it sound ok without one?

3. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    G1OSE

For true Home CInema, you really need a subwoofer, this is for two reason..

1. The LFE channel goes down well below the 40Hz cutoff of the DM603, so you will be missing out a a sizeable chunk of bass in explosions etc...
    2. If all the other speakers are 'small' i.e. DM601/LCR60, then the bass is redirected to a sub, or your fronts, which is fine for low volumes, but as you turn it up, the fronts will start to distort due to the bass overloading...

Although I think with this particular setup, you can manage for quite a while without the sub, even @ 40 Hz, the DM603's can produce some stunning low end stuff... but adding a sub does add a new dimension, even to these.

If you are going to get a sub at some point, then the 600's are excellent as rears, although the 601's are better, the 600's are smaller, and don't look out of place if you wall mount them.... plus if you get a sub, then no doubt any rear speakers will be set to small, and for most, this will mean a minimum of an 80Hz crossover, which suits the 600's fine. This also gives £100 towards the sub!!!

Both me and Jon (xtremecool) have the same 603/LCR60/600 setup and both of use have bought subs eventually... I was happy before the sub, but you soon realise there is far more depth to films/music then before....

Mind you, there have been times, listening to music, that I thought the sub was doing a good job, til I realised it was unplugged... so the 603's can suprise at times...

4. xtremecool

xtremecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As Phil has said they don't sound bad without a sub you can feel most of the atmosphere of the films, I lived without a sub for 2 years and didn't really think I was missing anything.

But after getting my sub I have since found that there is extra low bass content in most of my music and films that I had been missing.

I went with the approach of getting the best I could afford at the time (603s2s & LCR60) and build on it (sub & 600s later), rather than compromising on a more complete setup (more speakers, less quality) and having to upgrade the speakers later on.

I finally I have a system I am happy with, only thing is I am having to use a lot of will power to stop myself from upgrading the amp now. :)

Jon

5. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon,

I upgraded from a 930 to a 3802. I think I'm correct in saying the only real difference is DPL II, but this is well worth having this feature if you can get a 3802 within your budget.

I'm using B&W CM spearkers for the front 3 and a cheap old pair of Cellestions at the back. There is a significant improvement in sound over the old 930.

Like a lot of people, I added the subwoofer last and I've got to say it's an absolute must. I made the misstake of getting a cheap (200 quid) sub, but it was rubbish. I've now got a M&K and it's the mutts nuts. My advise; get a sub and don't go too cheap.

John