925 LD and Sony 10ht Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Richard Harnwell, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I believe that the Sony has a very good comb filter, so you're probably better using the composite output of the LD player (unlikely as this sounds).

It still won't be as good as DVD, but it may be an improvement.

I'd be interested to know if this improves things.

Cheers,

Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard Harnwell (edited 02-01-2001).]

2. gotalifethanks

gotalifethanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

SONY LCD VPL-10HT Projector

I have a 925 LD Player using s-vhs connector.
    Using my 737 DVD is brillaint, even my older 505 is very good but the LD is soft, even on the Phantom Menace which is a good quality LD.

I have played with all the various options in the menus sharpness etc. I have decided this is as good as it gets with LD....so
    what do i need to buy to make the picture better. TA

I am sure I am not the first person to notice this problem.

Thanks

3. gotalifethanks

gotalifethanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yeah I have already tried this but it is worse!!!

I am wondering if a better LD would help?
    Where can I get a Macintosh??

My LD Collection is vast so I have no intention of dumping the format.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,049
    Gotalife: I was in a chaps house who had a hi-def L.D player from Japan. It was for their HiDef L.Disc format called MUSE I think.

He uses it solely for playing his standard L.Disc collection, which is also vast! It's made by Pioneer. This machine has a blue laser rather than the standard Red laser used in CD and Laserdisc players. This is because it has to focus to much smaller pits on these HD Laserdiscs( like a huge DVD basically)

Anyway, he claims that discs which exhibited laserrot don't with this thing due to its ability to read the disc more accurately. We watched the race sequence from Phantom Menace on this thing and his CRT projector and scaler. It was, without doubt, the most astounding picture I've seen from a Laserdisc player.

It's built like a tank and is about the same size as one of those Denon AVC1se amps! He personally imported it so I've no idea where you could get one, but if you love your L.D.'s then perhaps you owe it to yourself....

All the best,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

[This message has been edited by Gordon, StereoStereo (edited 03-01-2001).]

5. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you intend to get the player mentioned or at least similar, this one doesn't play Hd Ld's, but i dont expect you'll have many of them,
    go to www.codefreedvd.com who have it for...
    ...£2499, its a beast and will only play Ld's, not cd's or dvd's as it has clamps to hold the laserdisc horizontally stable.

respect for keeping the laser faith!

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

member formerly known as hank hill

6. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    failing that,

go to www.avsforum.com

where there is a huge thread aboot the best laserdisc players, Mcintosh are no reckoned to be the best, this pioneer one is, strangely. They are best to advise you on that sort of outlay for a player and where, they are becoming very scarce, on earth, literally - one bloke had to get his from hong kong to get hold of them.

finally, for theta players, get in touch with 'charlie whitehouse', another member who knows where to find high end stuff like McIntosh and Theta.