9206 ambilight issue

dysje

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm currently the owner of a 55PUS9206, and that TV has an issue where ambilight on a white screen with a white wall is quite pink. I have to select a dark pink wall colour in the Ambilight settings to have matching colours (where white is white). The funny thing here is that Ambilight+Hue actually demonstrates the issue most clearly, as the Hue lights are displaying the correct colour.

I've had a previous 9206 that got swapped because of a broken HDMI port, that had the same issue. I know it's a rare TV, but if anyone else has this same model, I'd like to know if other owners have found similar issues.

It's quite difficult to make a picture of, so thats why I haven't included one.

I'm currently the owner of a 55PUS9206, and that TV has an issue where ambilight on a white screen with a white wall is quite pink. I have to select a dark pink wall colour in the Ambilight settings to have matching colours (where white is white). The funny thing here is that Ambilight+Hue actually demonstrates the issue most clearly, as the Hue lights are displaying the correct colour.

I've had a previous 9206 that got swapped because of a broken HDMI port, that had the same issue. I know it's a rare TV, but if anyone else has this same model, I'd like to know if other owners have found similar issues.

It's quite difficult to make a picture of, so thats why I haven't included one.
Hi,
Unfortunately I have no answer to that, but I would love your advice regarding your TV. I am interested today to go buy the 9206, how is the TV? How about the quality? How about games? Thank you

Image quality is as good as it gets for a basic VA panel. The 120hz works great in monitor mode, but it has the same issue as the oled models where 4k 120hz with vrr is half vertical resolution. For the oled models a fix was promised, nothing is known for the 9206. I don't use vrr, because motion processing in this TV is by far some of the best I have ever seen. This was a weak spot in previous models.

HDR is ok but limited. It's only 400 to 500 nits max brightness. But I use it with a pc connected and that works brilliantly for games. The audio I don't know but earc has no issues. DTS and Dolby passthrough is perfect, ambilight+hue is also perfect. Those things had issues on the previous models and none of that nonsense here. Overall I'm quite happy with the price/performance ratio and if I drop max backlight brightness a few points, there's practically no VA clouding visible.

4 sided ambilight and a decent remote help make the package feel complete and the AndroidTV experience is solid.

Theres one important thing to consider. Most of the features of this TV, come to the 2022 series in the normal 'performance' series, like 120hz. You might be better off getting a 2022 model like an 8807. Depending on the price. I suspect the 8807 (and other models like 8817/8827/8837/etcetera) are similar to the 9206 while only missing the bottom ambilight.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.
Do you think it is better to buy the Samsung q80a or to buy the philips Pus9206?

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.
Do you think it is better to buy the Samsung q80a or to buy the philips Pus9206?
Depends completely on what you want to use it for. The Samsung has a pretty great picture, sometimes better than the 9206 perhaps. But it doesn't support DTS passthrough which causes problems with arc/earc and optical. It also doesn't support Dolby Vision and has no ambilight. For me those features are a hard requirement, so I can't pick Samsung.

The FALD on the Samsung is a bit weak, so that isn't a good selling point. I do think upscaling from 720p and lower is better on the Samsung. The Samsung also has an ips like panel (ADS) which even with FALD is still not great for contrast. There are rumors about the Samsung having a VA panel in 50 and 85 inch variants, not sure. The VA panel in the 9206 is above average. Motion on the 9206 might actually be better, even though it has less options for motion.

Remember that VA is usually better with contrast and can have clouding, while ips is better for viewing angles but has ips glow. I've also noticed that ips mostly scales better when it gets a lower resolution image. Personally I hate ips for TVs because of bad contrast and I can't stand ips glow, even with FALD. So I always go for VA.

The only good selling point of the Samsung is the FALD backlight, the 9206 doesn't have it. But its not as impressive of an implementation than other variants, even de previous A80T model is better.

The 120hz works great in monitor mode, but it has the same issue as the oled models where 4k 120hz with vrr is half vertical resolution. For the oled models a fix was promised, nothing is known for the 9206.
I have the same TV but my current connection maxes out at 4K60. I'll buy a PS5 next year (which supports 4K120 in some games + VRR) - are you saying I won't be able to use it to the fullest with this TV? Could you please elaborate how this vertical halving occurs, what does it mean, and is it not false advertising then? Isn't there a setting combination that works around the limitation with maybe slightly worse picture quality or pixel overdrive?

I have the same TV but my current connection maxes out at 4K60. I'll buy a PS5 next year (which supports 4K120 in some games + VRR) - are you saying I won't be able to use it to the fullest with this TV? Could you please elaborate how this vertical halving occurs, what does it mean, and is it not false advertising then? Isn't there a setting combination that works around the limitation with maybe slightly worse picture quality or pixel overdrive?
That would've been the case up until a few weeks ago when TP Vision/Philips released a firmware update for this specific model that adds HDR Monitor mode to these models too with VRR and all the other features at 4k/120hz. Works fine for me.

Only one disadvantage is that the auto dimming feature is on by default and can't be disabled, thats really annoying for me. And let's be honest, HDR on this TV just isn't all that special anyway. And the consoles don't do much 120hz either in practice. Especially not with all the bells and whistles on.

Hi,
Unfortunately I have no answer to that, but I would love your advice regarding your TV. I am interested today to go buy the 9206, how is the TV? How about the quality? How about games? Thank you
What TV did you end up with?
I have the 9206 in the bedroom and i love it!

I might have won the "screen bin-lottery" cause this screen is close to flawless, and i consider myself picky on screens.

It has elevated blacks (of course), but with Amblight running or on static when in dark rooms, it really tricks the eyes, and the blacks become real deep, depending on how hard you push the Amblight. I have yet to register blooming on real life content, I wonder if anyone else using this TV agree on that or if I'm just poor at picking it up.

I don't know the hardware specs, but i don't think the new 8-series LCD rival this TV, to be fair they launch at around half the price that this one launched at though, at least in my country.

I paid just about 1 thousand dollars for my 65 on a sale and think I got a real gem for my money. But don't listen to me really, cause I have turned into what they call a "Fanboy" when it comes to Philips TVs😆

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom