• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

90% failure rate!!!

reg fenster

Someone just posted this on the MS forums and it lasted 30 seconds!! I didn't want to let it slip by so heres the link.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/01/a-year-in-xbox-360-failures-2007-edition

Just evidence of what most of us knew already so if you have a launch or non Falcon machine just console yourself (see what I did there!) that MS have a great repair service.:rolleyes:

I'd imagine given a longer time span you'd be looking at 100% failure rate, i gave up with my original 360 a few months back having failed twice and brought the elite, alas even 2 months down the road its playing up, the original machine that i sold once it was returned packed up six weeks later:rolleyes:.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
When we ran polls here last year/year before we got nowhere near that kind of figure, way too high I know, but 90% is ridiculous!

Oh, and everything has a 100% failure rate if you think about it - just depends on how much time you give it. Electronics, to humans, to the sun, all will fail eventually.

pug24

Oh, and everything has a 100% failure rate if you think about it - just depends on how much time you give it. Electronics, to humans, to the sun, all will fail eventually.[/QUOTE]

Very profound!

andytabor

microsoft have seriously dropped the ball this gen with reliability, its a shame as the 360 is an excellent console features and games wise.

gingerjedi

When we ran polls here last year/year before we got nowhere near that kind of figure, way too high I know, but 90% is ridiculous!

Oh, and everything has a 100% failure rate if you think about it - just depends on how much time you give it. Electronics, to humans, to the sun, all will fail eventually.

Granted the Joystiq staff probably use theirs more than most but personally I can honestly say I don't know anyone with a launch console that’s still working, I’ve had 2 failures so how’s that measured? 200%??? However I am grateful that humans and the sun last a little longer than 2 years!

I love the 360 but you can’t defend its patchy reliability record, I just hope that the Falcon> are at least somewhere near industry standards.

TEVEZ032

Banned

I got slated on here a while back for daring to predict a 50% failure rate.

I wonder how many of the forum members who scoffed at that have had there machine fail since then....

True to form my DVD drive is playing up. I am currently praying for the 3 red lights! :D

g

Chrisoldinho

I got my 360 in November 2005 so possibly one of the first to be dispatched to the UK.

I've used it loads. Particuarly since Mid 2006 when I have used it almost every night for a couple of hours at least (sad I know).

And touch anything, wood, plastic, metal :) I've not had 1 crash, no overheating and no red rings, nothing! It's 360 Core Model (now fully upgraded to Premium spec and some...). I wouldn't say i've done anything special either. The only thing I do is leave it horizontal, on it's own rack with air to breath and it's fine.

The only irritating thing I have ever experienced with this console is nothing to do with the Machine itself, it's Microsoft's Blade Servers crashing and locking me out of XBL over the X-Mas period of 2007...

Chris.

gingerjedi

I got my 360 in November 2005 so possibly one of the first to be dispatched to the UK.

I've used it loads. Particuarly since Mid 2006 when I have used it almost every night for a couple of hours at least (sad I know).

And touch anything, wood, plastic, metal :) I've not had 1 crash, no overheating and no red rings, nothing! It's 360 Core Model (now fully upgraded to Premium spec and some...). I wouldn't say i've done anything special either. The only thing I do is leave it horizontal, on it's own rack with air to breath and it's fine.

The only irritating thing I have ever experienced with this console is nothing to do with the Machine itself, it's Microsoft's Blade Servers crashing and locking me out of XBL over the X-Mas period of 2007...

Chris.

How do you feel... lucky? scared??;)

Put it like this... if every toaster broke within 2 years people would just use a grill instead, luckily for Microsoft their toaster makes the best toast so people are willing to stick with it despite its faults.

Kimberson

Distinguished Member
Ive had mine since launch and never had a problem

dllord

Ive had mine since launch and never had a problem

LoL! My mate said that and then his went tits up and his replacement went tits up with in days!

Good luck you're going to need it!:smashin:

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Granted the Joystiq staff probably use theirs more than most but personally I can honestly say I don't know anyone with a launch console that's still working, I've had 2 failures so how's that measured? 200%??? However I am grateful that humans and the sun last a little longer than 2 years!

I love the 360 but you can't defend its patchy reliability record, I just hope that the Falcon> are at least somewhere near industry standards.
Mine still works (well at least it was when I sold it a couple of months ago, not heard anything from the buyer to suggest otherwise).

I don't think anyone's defending the reliability record (well I'm not anyway), but there's nowhere near enough furore to suggest a 90% fail rate inside of two years. Just my hunch.

Chrisoldinho

So at one point mine will go wrong, how long is MS warranting them for? and would it be worth me getting mine repaired now even though it's not broke (I know the saying if it's not broke don't fix it, but I assume the repaired model comes with a better fan, new board or if i'm lucky I might even get a HDMI model ;)!!!)

Chris.

tokwitney

i've got a launch day premium,never had any problems with it apart from the blades freezing every now and again.
I dont play on in every night but I would say it gets a fair bit of use.
I have been waiting for it to go tits up ever since I got it,but it keeps on going.Saying that it probably will happen tonight,no it wont as I cant get a game of cod4 online,but thats ANOTHER problem MS.

RHCP

:rotfl: I'm gonna send my gran back to microsoft to see if they can fix her and hope the sun doesn't fail in the meantime!

andytabor

im on my second, RROD on the first, starting to get the occasional disc read error on my second, its either just a bit flaky or a prob thatll get progressively worse.

im very tempted to get an elite. i think ill wait to see how the uber 360 rumours bear out over the next few weeks though.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member

ah..you can always rely on a mod,to have a happy outlook on the new year.:rotfl::rotfl:

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
:rotfl: I'm gonna send my gran back to microsoft to see if they can fix her and hope the sun doesn't fail in the meantime!
Still got another billion years or so, but don't think about starting a thread in here about it, not unless you've got a receipt. :smashin:

ah..you can always rely on a mod,to have a happy outlook on the new year.:rotfl::rotfl:
:D There's nothing like the long winter nights and another failure rate thread to put a smile on my face eh! :suicide: Feel like Marvin off the Hitchiker's Guide...

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
I love that guy! *sigh* Poor little wanabee startrooper with a big head hehe

Nah,the original marvin,was even more morose,and depressing.

240px-Marvin-TV-3.jpg

he did make a brief appearance in the new movie though,towards the end,but i always thought Alan Rickmans voice wasnt on par with Stephen Moore's original radio/tv series voice.

noisecrime

I have to admit I really didn't think the problem was as bad as some people made out, but 2 mates who both bought xbox last xmas have had both fail within the last month. One lost display output (was fixed but sent back with the resync button broken from MS), the other was early today and the dreaded RROD.

I'm not holding up much hope of mine lasting beyond a year now ;(

Kryptix

My Xbox is 15 months old...

Ahhh...

It's gotta go soon...

shagaboopon

When it became apparent how bad the reliability was for the 360 I made sure I bought mine with Game's 3 year warranty at the time. £35 it cost me and I have no worries about my console failing as I know it'll be replaced regardless of the fault. £35 for 3 years piece of mind was great value :thumbsup:

Obviously the failure rate of the 360 is unlikely to be above 50% in my books within a reasonable timescale but it is definately a lot higher than it should be and is possibly the most unreliable console ever (PS2's for lasers might give it a run for its money though).

And touch anything, wood, plastic, metal :) I've not had 1 crash, no overheating and no red rings, nothing!
Chris.

Same is me expect it's boxed up for most of the time, and have not used it for more than 150 hours total playtime altogether, hardly used the thing, then put in PGR4 and and after 4 times of playing it, then it froze and got random error, freezing, 3 red lights.. nowit's unusable and all in mint condition...

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom