9% Brits admit pirate streaming Premier League

D

Deleted member 765458

"
Almost one in 10 (9 per cent) Brits admit to having illegally streamed at least one Premier League game over the past 12 months, according to research from personal finance comparison site finder.com. This is equivalent to 4.5 million people over the course of the season. In contrast, the most popular games broadcast on Sky last season were only viewed by around 2 million people.

The survey from finder looked at a wide range of streaming habits across the UK, finding that four in five (81 per cent) Brits used a paid streaming service in some capacity over the last year, while 17 per cent of Brits (or 8.9 million people) streamed films, movies or sports illegally last year. "

There will always be those who pirate rather than subscribe to a service, but... I'd be curious how many of those were fans who had subscriptions for televised games but no legal / purchasable route to watch their teams 3pm kick offs (and select others) ...

The old argument was that showing Saturday 3pm games would harm attendances. Does that really hold in this day and age of the sold out Premier League?

It’s scandalous that I have to listen to radio commentaries whereas people in Australia, Trinidad, China or wherever can watch them live.

The old argument was that showing Saturday 3pm games would harm attendances. Does that really hold in this day and age of the sold out Premier League?
Exactly. In the age of estimated 8 year season ticket waiting lists for some clubs, I don't think that argument holds much water any more

The 3pm blackout is not about the premier league

The 3pm blackout is not about the premier league
Are you suggesting it is about attendances at other games in the Football League?

There is no blackout in France, Germany, Italy, Spain or even Northern Ireland. All of those countries have won World Cups more recently than us. Apart from Michael O Neil’s men of course.

There is a real demand to watch Liverpool versus Man City at 3pm on a Saturday. Not so much Morecambe versus Mansfield, so hang those teams if they can’t justify their existence. There are too many professional teams anyway. France only has two fully professional leagues and they are the world champions.

I’m an Arsenal supporter, I live five minutes from MK Dons Stadium, half an hour from either Luton or Northampton. I don’t go and watch any of those, because I’m not interested, I’m an Arsenal supporter, I want to watch Arsenal, not bothered about any other team.

Sell me a tv season ticket and let me watch all Arsenal games live. As it is you need to subscribe to several different services, which isn’t cheap, to be able to watch any games that are televised. BT even have the cheek to charge £8.50 a month for HD! Yes, HD, not 4K. Why should we be charged extra to watch HD? It’s 2019!

And they wonder why people use illegal streams.

we have chatted about this is the football forum many times
Where do you think those supporting Luton or Northampton Town would be now if they hadn't had the 3pm blackout since the inception of the Premier League
What about the Boreham Woods or Swindon. Reading
The rest of the Pyramid will fail inside 10 years and that's just irresponsible

Same as they are now I imagine. Supporters will still go and watch them.

That's why I moved to Australia to watch West Ham every Saturday live, trouble is with the time difference it can 2am (Sunday morning) kick-off from Oct to March.

The down side is that it's only streamed at 720p its still very backward in Australia

The 3pm black out ends from next season, I might decide to comeback lol

But I’m not a supporter of any of the three lower league clubs within 30 minutes of my house. If I was, I’d be going.

I wouldn’t not go because Liverpool v Man Utd was on at 3pm on a Saturday.

The rest of the Pyramid will fail inside 10 years and that's just irresponsible
Is it?

Do we really need so many full time professional clubs? As I say, France and Germany do OK with less.

Macclesfield averaged under 1800 fans last year. Why is a club like that continuing as fully professional, ironically in part propped up by TV revenue generated by other bigger clubs? They should be semi-pro with no TV bailouts.

Since we've never had televised 3pm top tier Saturday football we cannot reliably predict its effect anyway. The majority of the 1800 still might turn up at Macclesfield.

Let’s face it you’ve got to be pretty die hard to turn up at Macclesfield as one of the 1800 every week. I don’t see anyone not going because there’s a Premier match on at 3pm on a Saturday.

I can't say I'm surprised to be honest. All that TV money is pricing many people out with the high subscription cost.

I cut my Sky Sports many years ago when it went beyond £20pm. Not because I can't afford it, I just didn't think it was value for money as I've no interest in golf, cricket, F1 or tennis and only watching a few football games per month. If there's a game I really want to see that's not on BT Sport, which I have with Virgin, I'll go to the pub. For all I watch it doesn't cost much more and I get to enjoy a few pints!

You can't get 3PM kick offs in Northern Ireland either as someone above suggested. We're on UK Sky Sports here.

You can't get 3PM kick offs in Northern Ireland either as someone above suggested. We're on UK Sky Sports here.
Yes you are on Sky and get whatever they provide. However, there is no official blackout in NI and if Sky could negotiate a different package then your FA would not veto the broadcast. The only European countries still signed up to the blackout policy are England, Scotland and Montenegro.

From Google, the European Court of Justice looked at this matter and could not come up with a justification for blackout. Lawinsport published an article on the subject and what the Court summised.

"Measures to enforce exclusive broadcasting rights are at odds with the principle of the internal market," and went on to state,"It is, in fact, doubtful whether closed periods are capable of encouraging attendance at matches and participation in matches. Both activities have a completely different quality to the following of a live transmission on television. It has not been adequately shown to the Court that the closed periods actually encourage attendance at and participation in matches."

"The AG went on to say that matches were shown during this period in France, Germany and other European countries and this has no effect on live attendances. "

Yes you are on Sky and get whatever they provide. However, there is no official blackout in NI and if Sky could negotiate a different package then your FA would not veto the broadcast. The only European countries still signed up to the blackout policy are England, Scotland and Montenegro.

From Google, the European Court of Justice looked at this matter and could not come up with a justification for blackout. Lawinsport published an article on the subject and what the Court summised.

"Measures to enforce exclusive broadcasting rights are at odds with the principle of the internal market," and went on to state,"It is, in fact, doubtful whether closed periods are capable of encouraging attendance at matches and participation in matches. Both activities have a completely different quality to the following of a live transmission on television. It has not been adequately shown to the Court that the closed periods actually encourage attendance at and participation in matches."

"The AG went on to say that matches were shown during this period in France, Germany and other European countries and this has no effect on live attendances. "

That makes it all the more preposterous that we're subjected to it. I know some 3PM Saturday kickoffs are viewable on Sky down south. Probably just Sky covering their own back to stop complaints from viewers on the mainland that they pay the same and receive less.

Lower league attendances are the healthiest they have ever been are they not?

I am a Burnley fan living in Scotland so let's juat finding a means to watch 3pm kick offs goes through my head 😉

I was at a mate's house last season and he got a 4K stream on of one of the 3pm kickoffs.

It was just as good quality than on his Sky Q. And didn't have their annoying commentary :laugh:

It is a ludicrous situation when in this country I can't legally watch my own team's game at 3pm unless I can get in the ground.

But I doubt it's ever going to be addressed.

Been saying this for years now - give me the ability to pay for a TV season ticket to watch Chelsea all season.

Hell, the PL should just make their own app, charge £20 a month and I guarantee that they'd get millions of subscribers around the world paying up.

People want to watch their clubs at the time they are playing. No way is that affecting attendances in the lower leagues these days.

Been saying this for years now - give me the ability to pay for a TV season ticket to watch Chelsea all season.

Hell, the PL should just make their own app, charge £20 a month and I guarantee that they'd get millions of subscribers around the world paying up.

People want to watch their clubs at the time they are playing. No way is that affecting attendances in the lower leagues these days.
Oh, yes please. Its the only thing trapping me with Sky. There’s no way round it....legally.
I would subscribe today if such a thing existed.

The PL make more money by selling the rights, so I doubt they would do it in-house. They have created a fantastic product.

I don't see the point of the 3pm blackout anymore. Die-hard fans will still watch the lower league games, and let's be candid about it, you'd have to be a die-hard fan to watch those games.

All the big PL clubs rarely play at 3pm anyway!

The PL make more money by selling the rights, so I doubt they would do it in-house. They have created a fantastic product.

I don't see the point of the 3pm blackout anymore. Die-hard fans will still watch the lower league games, and let's be candid about it, you'd have to be a die-hard fan to watch those games.

All the big PL clubs rarely play at 3pm anyway!
The Premier League already do 95% of the work, the coverage is rebranded with “local” presenters and broadcast in loads of territories. The pre and halftime content is all done in studios over here even if it’s for Optus in Aus or Flow Sports in the Caribbean or NBC in the US etc. Companies win the rights and stick their branding on it rent in their pundits (Owen Hargreaves, Ian Wright etc)
Have you noticed that Amazon are showing every match on the 3rd of December -the viewer gets to choose.

The Premier League already do 95% of the work, the coverage is rebranded with “local” presenters and broadcast in loads of territories. The pre and halftime content is all done in studios over here even if it’s for Optus in Aus or Flow Sports in the Caribbean or NBC in the US etc. Companies win the rights and stick their branding on it rent in their pundits (Owen Hargreaves, Ian Wright etc)
Have you noticed that Amazon are showing every match on the 3rd of December -the viewer gets to choose.

The PL make about 2.2 billion per year from the rights, both domestic and international.

I'm looking forward to the Amazon games. If it's successful, I wonder if Amazon will bid for more rights in the future...?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom