Quantcast

9.2 vs 11.2 Receiver Question...Help Needed

Nupe1911

Standard Member
I currently have 11 speakers and Two-Subs(Atmos Set-up), however I have a Marantz SR6012(9.2 Channel) and a 2 Channel amp to achieve 11.2 Dolby Atmos. Am I losing sound quality with this set-up? Should I upgrade to a Marantz AV7704 which is true 11.2 channel?

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
I currently have 11 speakers and Two-Subs(Atmos Set-up), however I have a Marantz SR6012(9.2 Channel) and a 2 Channel amp to achieve 11.2 Dolby Atmos. Am I losing sound quality with this set-up? Should I upgrade to a Marantz AV7704 which is true 11.2 channel?
No. The SR6012 has 11.2 channel processing just as the Marantz pre processors do.
With the 6012 you have to add 2 channels of amplification, with the prepros you have to add 11 channels....

Rambles

Distinguished Member
The Marantz SR6012 does have 11.2 channels of processing, but 9 on board amp channels, so you are getting 'true' 11.2 audio together with your 2 channel external amp.

Switching to an 11.2 channel processor with 11 channels of external amplification should give you a good upgrade in sound quality. More power / more headroom, plus the audio that is output from a processor should be cleaner than that from the pre-outs of an AVR. But, how much better it will sound in real world use in your room, is unknown.

If you try it, let us know!

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
The Marantz SR6012 does have 11.2 channels of processing, but 9 on board amp channels, so you are getting 'true' 11.2 audio together with your 2 channel external amp.

Switching to an 11.2 channel processor with 11 channels of external amplification should give you a good upgrade in sound quality. More power / more headroom, plus the audio that is output from a processor should be cleaner than that from the pre-outs of an AVR. But, how much better it will sound in real world use in your room, is unknown.

If you try it, let us know!
Ever thought about getting a job as a used car salesman or a purveyor of snake oil....:)
In true Arthur Daley style. Spend a load of money, not going to say what you get will sound better but then again I'm not going to say it will sound worse either :cool:

1438898041563.jpg

Last edited:

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Ever thought about getting a job as a used car salesman or a purveyor of snake oil....:)
In true Arthur Daley style. Spend a load of money, not going to say what you get will sound better but then again I'm not going to say it will sound worse either :cool:

View attachment 1304510
What? Don't get you there. I'm not selling anything, just giving advice and information :)

Do you disagree?

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
What? Don't get you there. I'm not selling anything, just giving advice and information :)

Do you disagree?
Let me sell you a sense of humour. Genuine british one mind, not any european or far eastern tat.
Only one previous (lady) owner, low mileage. Looks a bit rough but I'll get my lad Terry to give it a wash and polish and it'll look just like new :)

To improve on the SR6012 via a prepro and amps would require spending a lot of money which as you note is not guaranteed to improve the sound.

Without knowing what the '11 speakers' are how could spending the money on a AV7705, AV8805 etc plus the required 11 channels of amplification be said to improve the sound more than spending the same or less on perhaps changing the speakers or even just moving their positions in the room (or adding or removing some soft furnishings).

Last edited:

rccarguy

To upgrade you'll need something like ATI 1800 amplfiiers plus a av pre amp.

Looking at £6000 if not more

Nupe1911

Standard Member
Let me sell you a sense of humour. Genuine british one mind, not any european or far eastern tat.
Only one previous (lady) owner, low mileage. Looks a bit rough but I'll get my lad Terry to give it a wash and polish and it'll look just like new :)

To improve on the SR6012 via a prepro and amps would require spending a lot of money which as you note is not guaranteed to improve the sound.

Without knowing what the '11 speakers' are how could spending the money on a AV7705, AV8805 etc plus the required 11 channels of amplification be said to improve the sound more than spending the same or less on perhaps changing the speakers or even just moving their positions in the room (or adding or removing some soft furnishings).
Thanks for the feedback...sound like it is not worth spending and extra 2k given what may or may not make a huge difference.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the feedback...sound like it is not worth spending and extra 2k given what may or may not make a huge difference.
Depending on your room and speakers better room equalisation might make a diffence.
If you are not already using the Audyssey Multi-Eq Editor, spending the £20 to get that may give a surprising overall benefit/improvement for minimal outlay..

Rambles

Distinguished Member
It would be considerably more than 2K. You would need the 11 channel processor plus 11 channels of external amplification.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
It would be considerably more than 2K. You would need the 11 channel processor plus 11 channels of external amplification.
It could just about be done in that budget. Marantz AV7705 @ £1.5K, use 7 channels of the SR6012 via 7.1ch in leaving £500 for a 4 or 5 channel amp. Emotiva Basx A-500 5 channel amp for £699 so £2.2K in total (or two Behringer A800 for around £350 would comfortably bring it within budget). Although add to that the likely money needed for a new rack to hold the all the processor and amplification boxes....;)

Or for a 1/1000th as much, spend £20 on the editor app and take a bit of time and care to do a really good Audyssey measurement session.

Last edited:

Rambles

Distinguished Member
It could just about be done in that budget. Marantz AV7705 @ £1.5K, use 7 channels of the SR6012 via 7.1ch in leaving £500 for a 4 or 5 channel amp. Emotiva Basx A-500 5 channel amp for £699 so £2.2K in total (or two Behringer A800 for around £350 would comfortably bring it within budget). Although add to that the likely money needed for a new rack to hold the all the processor and amplification boxes....;)

Or for a 1/1000th as much, spend £20 on the editor app and take a bit of time and care to do a really good Audyssey measurement session.
That would be a totally nonsensical upgrade path for the OP. It would probably be more of a downgrade. AVR's make horrible power amps.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Yes, I think I agree with that. I just downsized from 9 speakers to 7 speakers, as less boxes / cabling / faff. I have swapped the rears out from a small pair of bookshelf speakers to some Kef Q700 floorstanders, these seem to make a very nice uplift in the surround soundstage. I don't notice any loss in dropping down from 4 atmos speakers to 2.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
That would be a totally nonsensical upgrade path for the OP. It would probably be more of a downgrade. AVR's make horrible power amps.
Doesn't compute...
Using the amps in his 6012 would be a downgrade compared to using the amps in his 6012?
An amp is an amp for a' that

My recommended 'upgrade path' costs from £20 to nothing...
BTW I've been saying from the start that spending a lot of money without any guarantee of improvements is nonsensensical. The 'upgrade path' as you put it was about the only way using a processor like the AV7705 would be possible for around £2K (buying new).

You're the one pushing for a prepro/power amp route without knowing what they would be driving and thus what benefit they could bring. Although looking at the SINAD results of some prepros and AVRs cost is no guarantee of quality.

Threads in this forum often remind me of the discredited stereo orthodoxy of the 1970's (perhaps '80s) where the amp was the most important thing to spend money on and the speakers the least. Now again it seems spending £5K-£6K to drive possibly £1K-£2K of speakers is de rigure.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Using the amps in his 6012 would be a downgrade compared to using the amps in his 6012?
Yes, because there would be double pre-amping and all kinds of issues with additional noise / gain matching and DA / AD conversions.
My recommended 'upgrade path' costs from £20 to nothing...
BTW I've been saying from the start that spending a lot of money without any guarantee of improvements is nonsensensical. The 'upgrade path' as you put it was about the only way using a processor like the AV7705 would be possible for around £2K (buying new).

You're the one pushing for a prepro/power amp route without knowing what they would be driving and thus what benefit they could bring. Although looking at the SINAD results of some prepros and AVRs cost is no guarantee of quality.

Threads in this forum often remind me of the discredited stereo orthodoxy of the 1970's (perhaps '80s) where the amp was the most important thing to spend money on and the speakers the least. Now again it seems spending £5K-£6K to drive possibly £1K-£2K of speakers is de rigure.
What? o_O I have no idea how any of this is relevant, you seem to be trying to conjure up an argumentative discussion but I think we are largely agreeing on this one.

Last edited: