1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9/12/04 Lidl Sat nav £249.99

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Bassbin, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Not in all stores but looks like it's the same as the Aldi one from a couple of weeks ago (I got one which my wife has now claimed). The picture mentions a 256mb card but the text says 512mb and no mention of euro maps. An amazing price regardless but I'm not sure they're quite cheap enough for me justify buying another unit.

Lidl offers 9/12

2. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is there anyway of finding out which stores are likely to have these in stock?

My local store is small and i have never seen any "proper" electrical goods forsale, although they do advertise them. (Live in East Devon/on somerset border)

Also, i don't get home from work till 5.30pm, so am i likely to miss out on this as they'll all be sold out?

If anyone can help me get one of these i'd be eternally greatful! I'd happily pay someone to pick one up and obviously pay for postage for them to send one to me.....

I know it's a little cheeky, but i seem to have missed out on all the Aldi/lidls offers so far!

Many thanks
    :)

3. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    REGIONAL OFFER - Only available from stores in the Midlands, Norfolk and Lincolnshire, London and the South East / South West of England (except Gloucestershire and Hereford).

Hope thats of some use to you..

4. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is anyone going to queue up to get one?

Although i've bought one off the classified, someone in my family also wants one...

....what time is worth queueing from? i asked if my local store would have any and they said yes, just get there early, but didn't recommend a time!!

I know it depends on where you live, but would 7am be early enough if shop opens at 9am?

Thanks

5. ariecol

ariecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got it i got it, whooooo hoooo

charging in the cradle. :clap: :clap:

loads of ppl were waiting for it. :eek:

and they onli have twelve in stock in each store apparently :lesson:

6. chalkdust

chalkdust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Has anyone opened theirs and seen if you get a 256 and 512mb card as well? The box says integrated GPS as well, so does that mean no cables?

7. ariecol

ariecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i onli hav 256 sd only, which means it is similiar to aldi's deal except bundled with the xtra gps receiver.

on the website it says bundled with 256 and 512 pre installed. but the 256 tht i have is only UK map. hav not open the 2 navigator cd though..

yes, it should work virtually wireless.

any more info from others?

no earphones as well, nvm!

8. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Looks promising then. In a computer mag I got yesterday an ad was selling the same pda with the integral flip up GPS receiver for £250 with no software or SD card. I have the Aldi one and find that the SW limits it a little but can't argue with the price.

If anyone was also considering getting a TomTom Go I saw it on the Dixons site earlier for £399.99 and there are various vouchers around at the moment that give discounts based on a min spend (I think there's a £20 off £200 one and maybe a £40 off £400 one). So potentially a Go could be had for about £360-380 which is not bad at all.

9. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    don't get a tomtom go. its a glorified paper weight

10. ariecol

ariecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u can get mio 168 + tom tom 3 from spotlight
    at 350pound i think all in one. i am currently a pack of it that i ordered earlier last week.

however, i may consider tom tom 3 if falk navigator is not good enough. reading german reviews are not easy!

charging 18 hours now........ as the first charge! yet to install anything .......... or open anything else xcept cables...

anyone?????? with 512 mb sd as advertised by lidl :rolleyes:

11. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Falk package is the same, but voice commands are an added bonus. Uxbridge store still has loads left, about a hundred yesterday if anyone is interested, all other stores seem to have limited quantities.

12. ariecol

ariecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so wht do u guys intend to do? pursue the 512mb sd card? any advise frm anyone?

13. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will mention this to my store but think it will fall on deaf ears in as much as they will not have a clue but offer you your money back. Think I will keep it as is. ariecol, I haven't read in the manual about giving it a thorough initial charge? I think that might have been the case with the Nicd and Nimh batteries, but not the lithium ion.

14. ledzep100

ledzep100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does this unit have a CF slot for a Wifi card?

ledzep

15. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No, but you can get combo wifi/256Mb SD cards.

16. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tvr, any chance of a link to where the combi cards may be found
    cheers

17. ariecol

ariecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm nah, i am just charging 16-18 hrs on the cautious side.... u will see some mobile phone manual have the same advise.

yea, i think they will know nothing wht is inside the box. and offer the money back to keep us quiet. still a bargain though.

i hav problem with the falk navigator. the whole software disappeared, might need to reinstall.

NO, i didnt remove the programme, but i switched off the pda before reaching the destination... just to try out the whole software.

18. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  19. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just got an XDA so it'll probably be tomtom for me

20. ariecol

ariecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    managed to reinstall the falk navigator

btw reality bites.......... it only contains UK map, not europe!

and it does not have POI. which means i cant use it as a GPS speed cam detector.

any advice?

:lease:

21. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice link tvr, wonder if prices will come down much from this? In the same boat as you ariecol, would be handy to know about the old cameras, before I lose my licence entirely.

22. ariecol

ariecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will be getting a tom tom nav 3. to have the POI, eventually it cost 20-30 pound xtra when compared to the other bundle. however......

i hav with lidl i will hav xtra gps receiver, + 256 instead of 128 and additional tom tom nav 3 together with falk nav.

i think the falk nav is quite unstable, and u need to make sure closing all other prog b4 running falk.

today there was 1 error made by falk, but i guess no nav system is 100% due to the accuracy of the map.

also by any chance does anyone knows,...... whether the traffic and maybe speed cam combo flash giving false alarm.

in a 50mph zone, i was driving at around 35-40 (no i am not lying) and i actually crossed the line and right after the middle of the junction, the camera flashed 4 times.
    there were 4 cars and mine is the last, making me... the "suspect"

but i didnt break the traffic light law, and the speed law! obviously not. cause my mom confirmed the traffic light. but i was looking at my speed when it blardy flashed!

so is it just a "deterrent flash"

it happened to me before as well........ 4 cars driving at one of the motorway at the north of london. it flashed, but i didnt receive any "letter" from the authority.

DAMN :censored: :(

23. rakeshpoorun1

rakeshpoorun1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A sat nav system that does not cover Europe? Surely the software only version of Copilot or Wayfinder (with live traffic info) plus cheap bluetooth receiver on Ebay makes more sense?
    Just a thought...

24. ariecol

ariecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u need a pda to run the programme rakesh.

u can spend 100 pound for a navigator for notebook, that is u hav a subnotebook.

mine is a desktop replacement notebook. so it is a no no, cause it has 15.4 inch tft = heavy + fragile

25. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone managed to insert a headphone jack into this, I just cannot get mine to go in, just seems the hole is too small?

26. ariecol

ariecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hahha, yes i realised tht, but didnt think of it.

it looks like errr mobile phones ear plug, which is smaller than the std hifi 3.5mm jack plug

i hav samsung, nokia and LG....... the plug seems to be compatible, although i am not sure whether it will work or not.

cant be bothered to try.

27. Fabricator2

Fabricator2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you tell me what you did to re-install the Falk software. Mine has been working fine since November, then suddenly lost the programme and the map software. The PDA is great but the sat-nav thinks its a toaster! I tried installing from the PC but it still won't show map data. Also, any idea why you can't install user maps via the supllied software on the cd from your PC. Mine goes through the whole process then says ERROR with + and - signs in brackets? Weird! :confused:

28. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  29. ariecol

ariecol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

stick the cd into your pc, then install, when this is done, whenever the software does not present in the pda, the computer will active sync reinstall into it

some lidl user actually end up uninstalling the prog and eventually installed tt3 to it.

i have couple of error with the software such as miscalculate exit at the roundabout, and cant route plan for one of my destination, but weirdly when i am around the area, it will manage to route plan the very same destination. dont ask me y

a toaster it may be, but a bargin it is.
    for the software, i only rate it 5 or 6 out of 10 really.

30. Fabricator2

Fabricator2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for the advice.
    What do you reckon to this Tom Tom 3 that I'm reading about in the above comments. Anyone know if it's worth buying just the software and installing that instead of the Falk?
    Where would you buy just the software?