Answered 9.1.4 configuration for Home Cinema

KILLER NADS

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I wanted to find out if a 9.1.4 configuration is possible? If so what do i require?

I was originally going to go for 7.1.4 in my room which i am re-doing, but realised that i have plenty of space at the front wides to accommodate 2 B&W spare bookshelf speakers that i won't be using for the Back surrounds anymore.

So i had a thought of why not just use them instead of keeping them in the storage and setup a 9.1.4 configuration instead?

For the AV receiver that i was initially going to go for in the 7.1.4 setup was either the 9 channel Arcam with power amp or Anthem 11 channel AVR.

However is there anything i can buy instead (probably would have to be a mixture of an AVR and power amp) that would make 9.1.4 configuration work in my room?

Thanks.

No current AV receiver can facilitate this even if adding external power amps. Not sure if you can even achieve this with a high end Trinnov or Datasat processor? Do you have £20K+ to spend on just the processor?

9.1.4 would require 13 channel processing and 13 channels of discrete amplification.

Ah thats a shame, no way i can even look to spend anywhere near that amount. Especially for just 2 extra speakers.

You would have thought something for this would have been invented at an afforadable rate for the home cinema market by now.

Oh well thanks for your help

I've only seen 7.1 sound tracks on a small number of movies. It took a few years for movies to catch up avr makers. When I got my first 7.1 avr amp it took an age until 5.1 became popular.

I've only seen 7.1 sound tracks on a small number of movies. It took a few years for movies to catch up avr makers. When I got my first 7.1 avr amp it took an age until 5.1 became popular.

It isn't a matter of the audio on the disc not being mixed to facilitate 9.1.4, it is simply a matter that there's currently no AV receiver or processor that can process it. The new formats such as DTS:X and Atmos are not channel based and the metadata will include the data any processor able to process 13 channels would require to create 13 channels and data. You can theoretically have a setup uti;ising over 30 speakers with these new formats, but this would new processors with the ability to process as many channels as their are speakers within the setup.

I don't think you are going to see a mainstream acceptance of anything more than 11 channels simply because of the cost restrictions associated with facilitating the processing and additional amplification?

Yeh i guess your right.

I know that there isnt really any films thag can do 9.1.4 but I was more interested in using DSU to utilise those extra two front surround speakers.

But i guess if its not doable at a reasonable price then it wont be worth it and i will be better off selling the extra speakers.

Yeh i guess your right.

I know that there isnt really any films thag can do 9.1.4 but I was more interested in using DSU to utilise those extra two front surround speakers.

But i guess if its not doable at a reasonable price then it wont be worth it and i will be better off selling the extra speakers.

All Atmos films can create 9.1.4, you'd not be able to use DSU to create pseudo front width channels though. You only get the front width data in association with content actually mixed for Atmos and not DSU. The front width speakers would be dormant whenever using DSU and only active when actually playing an Atmos encoded soundtrack.

For cheaper set up. You can use two AVR. First AVR is atmos/dts X and for the second AVR you can use your old receiver with dolby pro logic. Set first AVR as 9.1.2 system and connect two pre out top output speaker to second AVR as stereo input. Then in second AVR use dolby pro logic to decode it as 4.0. I think there is a special thread in avs forum or avforum discuss about it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom