8ohm Speakers using a 4ohm Streamer/Amplifier?

alinaqvi

Novice Member
Hi - I've got a Denon RCD N10 streamer (rated 4ohm) and would like to get some vintage B&W DM602 speakers but they are rated 8ohm. Will I really notice any difference in performance, sound quality or volume? I'm currently using some 6ohm Wharfedale speakers which sound fine but they're almost at the end of the life. Any advice on the confusing world of ohm matching would be appreciated. Am looking to buy some old fashioned large speakers with hefty bass hence the DM602 but any advice would be gratefully received.

Orobas

Hi - I've got a Denon RCD N10 streamer (rated 4ohm) and would like to get some vintage B&W DM602 speakers but they are rated 8ohm. Will I really notice any difference in performance, sound quality or volume? I'm currently using some 6ohm Wharfedale speakers which sound fine but they're almost at the end of the life. Any advice on the confusing world of ohm matching would be appreciated. Am looking to buy some old fashioned large speakers with hefty bass hence the DM602 but any advice would be gratefully received.
Your RCD N10 is only specified at 1khz for its power of 65w .... full range you are most likely to be around 45w/c at 4ohm here.. so probably around 35/40w 8ohm.

In terms of benefits.. there is not a whole lot to be gained here... but the "4 ohm" amp will presumably have slightly better current facility...

I say this loosely.. as some manufacturers have been known to use different specs to make their units sound more powerful than they actually are (remember the days of the PMPO!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: 200w pmpo ... big deal.. its 50w rms at 10% distortion at 1khz)

It'll drive the speakers.. but dont expect miracles

alinaqvi

Novice Member
Thanks - so would I be better off getting 6ohm replacement speakers instead? Or is there little or no difference with the 8ohm ones?

Orobas

Thanks - so would I be better off getting 6ohm replacement speakers instead? Or is there little or no difference with the 8ohm ones?
There isnt that much between them without having a listen really..

A 4 ohm speaker typically will be a little bit more bassier than a 6 or 8 ohm speaker of the exact same size and make.. but an 8 ohm speaker will sound louder than the 4 ohm speaker.. a 6 ohm straddles the pair..

Please note this is only when compared to the exact same model and make and is a general overview.. a 6ohm typically has a 4ohm midbass and an 8ohm treble giving you your 6ohm

Orobas

Thank you.
Efficiency is the key here with that amp.. the higher the sensitivity speakers you can get, the better..

For example... a 90db speaker will sound about 20% louder than a 87db speaker of the same class, category and resistance... it's all about getting power to the speaker without introducing distortion or strain to the amp.. the higher the db, the easier it is for the amp to drive.. but ... at the same time.. it could make the speaker more treble forward depending on the brand.. but that is generally where you want to be.. the most efficient speakers in your budget.. and go listen to them with your hifi to make the choice :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom