1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8ohm 4ohm Volume Power Question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by s8n187, Oct 17, 2004.

1. s8n187

s8n187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys......my home use Intergrated amplifier handles 70x2 @ 8ohm........or 140x2 @ 4 ohm.......does that mean more power with 4ohm speakers ?......or the volume power is equal ?.........like it just rates higher in 4 ohm mode ie......[140x2] but is equal to 8 ohm [70x2] ???

s8n :devil:

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,104
    Manufacturers used to quote RMS power at 4 Ohm to make the numbers bigger. They also use funky measurements like Peak Music Power Output to get even larger numbers but you're not outputting power but moving air.

IIRC the important thing for actual volume is the sensitivity of the speaker to the load applied - measured in Decibels per Watt (Again IIRC). The more efficient the speaker the less power you need to make a fixed volume of sound. You could have a 1000W speaker than is a lot quieter than one rated at 100W.

The important thing is not to use 4 Ohm speakers at high amplification with amplifiers that specify 8 Ohm as it will (sound terrible and) overheat and damage the amplifier.

3. s8n187

s8n187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do u think i will get more power with 15" Car Subwoofers [4ohm RMS 250watt Sensitivity: 89.2 dB Frequency Response: 25-500 Hz]......or 15" Cerwin Vega [8ohm Peak 400watt Sensitivity: 102 dB Frequency Response: 26 Hz - 20 kHz].......remember my amp does 70x2 @ 8ohm........or 140x2 @ 4 ohm.......

s8n

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,104
    I would imagine that the second would be louder as it's quoting a higher dB output - but I'm not an expert in speakers let alone ICE subs! You'll get better advice in the ICE forum I would imagine?