8mm to mini DV recording "jumpy" / "jittery when using pass through.

Jeffers28

Standard Member
Hi, Like many I face the challenge of transferring old 8mm tapes to something digital that I can store / edit / burn to DVD etc. After much searching I decided the best option for me was to purchase a second-hand digital camcorder with analogue-digital pass through, which I have done (Canon Optura 50). I'm using a Samsung VP-80U 8mm camcorder as the source. I've connected everything, but I have the following problem, which I am hoping somebody can help me with....

When viewing the analogue input on the viewer of the Canon, everything is perfect, so I know the Samsung is outputting everything as it should be, and I also know that the Canon is receiving everything as it should be. But when I record, either to a mini DV tape on the Canon, or by using pass through to the PC (via Movie Maker) the captured footage is very jumpy / jittery, although the sound is fine.

Is it possible that the pass through function on the Canon is not functioning correctly? Or is there a setting (or "settings") that I need to adjust somewhere? I'm guessing the problem lies with the Canon somewhere.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

:lease:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Does the Canon record OK when using it as a normal camcorder ?

Jeffers28

Standard Member
Hi Graham, many thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The Canon records directly to DV perfectly when using it as a normal camcorder.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Hi Graham, many thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The Canon records directly to DV perfectly when using it as a normal camcorder.

Try feeding it some analogue video from a different source like a freeview box or vcr. The above post is interesting. If you transfer native recorded DV from the Canon is it 720 x 576 25fps or 720 x 480 29.97 fps ?.

Jeffers28

Standard Member
Hi, many thanks to both of you for getting back to me so quickly. I've gone away and done some digging, and basically I think it is a PAL/NTSC issue. My 8mm source camcorder (Samsung VP-80U) is PAL, and my mini-DV digital camcorder (Canon Optura 60A, not 50 as I incorrectly originally stated) records in NTSC. There appears to be no way of changing the Canon to either record or convert in PAL.

Can anybody think of anything else I can try? I did a bit of Googling and found some boxes you can buy that do PAL-NTSC conversion (some examples below).

Pal to Ntsc digital converter, with DVD player & multiple input | eBay

Pal to Ntsc digital converter, best or money back | eBay

AV CVBS PAL to NTSC Audio Video Converter Adapter Box for XBOX PS2 Wii DVD | eBay

Does anybody have any experience of using any of these boxes? Do you think they will do the job fo me if I stick one between the two camcorders?

I very much appreciate your help.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I guess it would work but it's a question of quality loss. You lose two ways converting the 720 x 576 25fps from the PAL camcorder to 720 x 480 29.97 fps reduces the resolution and will introduce unwanted motion artefacts from the need to increase the number of frames.

If you can sell the ntsc based DV camcorder and replace it with either a UK based one with AV in or get hold of a Canopus AV to DV converter I imagine you will get much better results.

Does your PC graphics card have analogue inputs ?

Jeffers28

Standard Member
Hi, many thanks for the advice. After exploring a number of options I think ditching the NTSC-based camcorder that I was trying to use for pass-through, and replacing it with a PAL-baased one, is the best thing to do.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom