1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8mm on MiniDV cameras

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Daryl, May 22, 2004.

1. Daryl

Daryl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, :hiya: this is my first post, and I am new to video cameras, so forgive me if I ask a stupid question.

I have video recorded on 8mm tapes which I videoed using an analogue 8 Samsung VP-L600 video camera.

I have struggled to get this onto my pc, so am looking at buying a mini dv digital camcorder either of the following:

Canon MV700i Digital Camcorder (Mini DV, 18x optical, DV in/out)
    Sharp VL-Z8H Digital Camcorder (Mini DV, 500x digital zoom, DV in/out)

Am I able to play these 8mm tapes through either of the above two cameras, or am I only able to play these these through 8 and Hi-8 cameras?

Would be grateful for anyones help!

Many thanks,
    Daryl.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Hi Daryl and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid that you are out of luck. Video 8 & Hi8 are as you say 8mm tapes, but DV tapes are only 4mm and therefore DV cams are too small to be able to take the 8mm tapes.
    The good news is that you do have a couple of options. Get a Sony (& I think now Samsung) Digital8 camcorder as this is digital with a DV port and Some of these can play back the old analogue 8mm recordings (check the specs carefully before purchase). Or you could get a DV cam with DV & analogue inputs and use that to record from the 8mm cam into a digital format either onto DV or just useing the DV cam as an A>D converter onto the PC.

Mark.

3. Daryl

Daryl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help Mark!

I have looked in more depth and the Canon MV700i definitely has both Analogue-in and DV in/out.

I have found one for just under £330.

I'd really be grateful if you could let me know what sort of leads I would need to connect my analogue 8 camera to the MV camera. My analogue camera only has an A/V port, so I guess I would just need an A/V to A/V lead. Would be grateful for your help.

Thanks again,
    Daryl.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Some camcorders have a dedicated connector that handles the analogue video and sound all in a single connector. Others just have a standard phono &/or S-Video socket for video and then 2 phono sockets for sound. Without searching for details on the models you have I wont know which type the cams have so you will need to check the manual. The cams should have been supplied with the correct lead to connect to a VCR etc, so you could just get a set of converters so you can connect the 2 leads together. For best quality results use the S-Video connection if possible.

Mark.

5. Daryl

Daryl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice.

I have now got my camera through. It has only a lead which can be connected to the VCR from an A/V port. This can be used on the A/V port on the mini dv camera, but I obviously still need a lead to run from the DV-in on the digital camera to the A/V on the analogue camera, so I can start recording my analogue video onto dv tape.

Would this be where the S-video connection fits in?
    I'm sorry for being a pain, but I am pretty new to this sort of thing and am just learning.

Would be grateful for any help again.
    Daryl.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    You don't use the DV port on the DV cam. It will have some sort of socket(s) for connecting an analogue device such as the 8mm camcorder to it. You will use the S-Video etc for analogue. I would think that the specifics would be in the manual, so worth a look.

Mark.

7. Daryl

Daryl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

I have consulted the manual, and I must say I am still confused. The camera came with an STV-250N Stereo video cable and a PC-A10 SCART adapter, which when used allow me to connect the DV cam to a VCR. Obviously I don't want to do that...well not yet anyway!

The manual shows how to connect to a TV with SCART terminal and TV with audio/video terminal, but no diagram showing what is needing to do to connect to an analogue camrea, though a small note at the foot of the page states that 'for analog line-in recording or analog-digital conversion, please use a SCART Adapter with input capability', but this I presume is what I'd need if I wanted to record the analogue film on VCR with it being played through the DV camera.

I did have an AV to AV cable which I had from something else so, at my wits end, I tried that. It allowed me to view the film on both the analogue and DV camera at the same time and record onto DV tape, but on playback no picture was on the DV tape.

I really am frustrated with this now, so any help would be really appreciated.
    :confused:

Thanks,
    Daryl.

8. Daryl

Daryl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone, please???? :lease:

9. Scotty306

Scotty306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you can view it on the DV camera then i'd say you're just missing something simple on the camera's recording setup.
    Is there an A/V input option in a menu somewhere?

Failing that, does the DV camera offer passthrough?

ie, while you're viewing the analogue picture on the DV camera, connect the Firewire to your PC and use your new DV camera just to convert the signal.