1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8mm on hi 8?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Daveboy, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Daveboy

Daveboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some help please

can a hi8 camera play 8mm film

I have a load of 8mm tapes and my old 8mm camera has died. I have a dv camcorder now.

My aim is to convert the 8mm to dv tape. I was considering picking up a cheap hi 8 camera and plugging the 2 together to convert the tapes.

advice and comments welcomed,

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, should do, in the same way that svhs will playback vhs.

also look at digital8, select models do play back analogue 8 & hi8, but the footage goes through time base correction and various filters which can actually give you better quality video than on the source tape, it also has th ebenfit of going though a firewire, so direct input into, and control via your pc

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    As recommended by Roy, I would also suggest you go for a Sony Digital8 camcorder. I had a look for another forum member and from what I could see on the Sony web site the only D8 cam that can playback analogue tapes was the top of the range model. This cam was available online for under £500.
    Other than that you can try to beg/borrow or steal a D8 cam that can play the old tapes.

Mark.

4. virgola

virgola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Daveboy

Daveboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: