8K TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by RPM40INSTRUCTOR, Nov 9, 2018.

1. RPM40INSTRUCTOR

RPM40INSTRUCTOR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Who here is frustrated with Samsung introducing their 8K TV? Just as many of us have invested in a 4K TV in the last couple of years, I understand Technology advances but this is too soon in my opinion. You still have LCD based TV's pitted against OLED, both with different strengths and weaknesses and now there is a third type of TV winging it's way to us in the form of MicroLED. I'm led to believe these should have the best of both worlds, deepest blacks and greater screen brightness. Some TV manufacturers have Dolby Vision included and some do not, really confuses matters. I do want to buy a new TV in the near future, do I wait or buy now?

2. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,041
    Does not frustrate me at all. Just another option available - surely the more options the better.

Although I personally don't see any real advantage to an 8k set when there is no 8k content and no way to get it into the set even if you did have 8k content. (You need HDMI 2.1 for 8k and no TV including the new Samsung has that yet - although Samsung may be providing a free upgrade to HDMI 2.1 when the chipsets are available.) Upscaling cannot create detail that isnt there in the original signal.

I have a TV with Dolby Vision - a Sony ZD9. As both Sony and LG have some issues with their Dolby Vision implementation I would not let the lack of DV turn you off a TV that you otherwise liked.

November is generally a good time to buy a TV as most TVs are launched in the spring and tend to get good discounts this time of year - especially around black friday.

3. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    You no remember how quick TV's changed from being HD ready (720) to Full HD (1080p) ;)

4. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I took a risk jumping in early (4K) knowing that there were new methods on the way and missed out on Dolby Vision etc. I am not bothered, I took the view that with changing technologies and if I waited then I would ever get 4k. Stuck at HDR10 but even now there are not really any live HDR versions in the UK, taken 3 years?

I think 8K will happen but until that is mainstream, not worried. I want to see production glass to glass and streaming rates and codecs that can work with it (next gen stuff). Not sure what you can squeeze on a bluray. Interesting days to see will it work or will it fail.

The more they push this, the more development will go into the background to get it to the panel. The more will go into the construction and development of upscaling.

Personally I would be buying 4k now if I had my time again. If this panel dies then it will be OLED Dolby bells and whistles and watch what 8k does with interest but not worried about it.

5. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    You could be waiting around forever for the next best thing but can understand you getting annoyed.. earlier this yr I bought a Panasonic ez952 oled to replace one of my kuros but wasn't worried about the dv or lack of.. I only use it for films in a dedicated room but it betters my kuro and that's all I'm interested in.
    I think that time had stood still for so long (it did for me and many others maybe) regarding owning a last gen kuro or the Panasonic vt65 zt that even new screens only seemed to be close or just pip it in certain areas...

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,406
    You can't have your cake and eat it. If you want to be an early adopter and get new technology first you either have to do the in depth research and see which technologies on offer are most likely to be successful, or buy knowing many of the things you're buying won't pan out.

7. RPM40INSTRUCTOR

RPM40INSTRUCTOR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Got stung on that one, bought an HD Plasma back in 2005, I thought great, got an HD TV. Six months later Full HD came out, I was not happy. This is why I'm always hesitant in buying new TV's incase I'm losing out. It is right what is said that if we waited for the next best thing we would never buy anything, just want some future proofiing. I'm not as fortunate as some, I cannot buy a new TV every year, I generally buy a new set every three years.

8. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Neither am I but think buying the last kuro was best spend ever as the picture was unbeatable for yrs.. however now with tech as you say they get to the next milestone and each gen tv slightly betters the last... don't think we will have another kuro sensation where folk hold onto a tv for yrs as it can't be bettered.. just have to wait for a few months and check the tv over in a demo room and buy the best model you can at the time. I bought my Panasonic ez952 about 8 months after it's release and because I'm a good customer in RS got a further discount. Paid nearly half the price of it on release.... NOW I tend to stay away from the stores for as long as possible...lol :rolleyes:

9. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,818
    I personally think Samsung bringing out an 8K TV is great and LG have an 8K OLED on the way. I'm not a fan of OLED and for me FALD TV's are great.
    Pushing the boundaries of TV technology is fantastic, the more the better.

10. Over by there

Over by there

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Same post of mine in another thread.
    Well, got to see the 8k in JL yesterday. Very impressed with the demo material however the shop floor was very busy due to the match and lots of eyes looking to get wowed. First impression, native with the demo (I assume it was a top of the shop material), very impressed with 8K.

No chance for a comparison with all the bodies around. Another day. But I doubt it was upscaled.

No chance to see upscaled.

I would add that I would still not buy it yet due to no mainstream material and cost (and not seen 4k upscaled).. Good to see it on show though.