8k oled prices

steel_kelly

Established Member
Reaction score
Is 2021 the year that 8k oled prices start to become a bit more affordable?

There seems to be a growing number of 8k lcd TVs that are similar prices to 4k oleds so could this coming year be possible for such prices.

I ask as I am considering upgrading my LG C9 65" to a LG CX 77" but I have be known to say that I'd want 8k if I were to go bigger than 65".

Do you really want 8K, there is no content other than some random stuff on Youtube or you have a top of the line gaming PC and can push some games to that resolution (older ones or via DLSS).

I really don't think its worth it unless you want that ZX 88" model as that's the biggest OLED LG make.

I dont think 2021 will change things, 4K 120hz and high frame rate content to me is a far more interesting path than just pushing resolution again. It seems sales of 8K have been quite poor too.

8K is not needed until we have 8K content.

I own a high end gaming PC, I only watch netflix and UHD Blurays and STILL I don't need 8K. The only people I can evisage wanting 8K are those that download the odd Kaleidoscope studio rip which has it from their very expensive player or those that game at 8K with dual RTX 3090s.

So basically, its a non issue and I'd be so dissapointed if LG decide to chase 8K rather than continue to try and improve the OLED panel brightness, uniformity, feature set etc.

8K is only a thing for Samsung.

The ONLY 8K device I like is the JVC 8K E-Shift NX9 and thats because it genuinly IMPROVES a 4K image to looking like 8K (heck it doesnt even accept 8K signals).

I will ALWAYS take native content resolution for my panel over upscaling (and yes, if I only watched terrestial TV SD quality, I'd be rocking a plasma)

I'd go as far to say, if LG released a 77'' C11 8K I'd take the 77'' CX or C9.

Upscaling is REALLY difficult the higher the resolution and I wouldn't say any TV manufacturer is exactly phenomenal at it which is why some people pay for external video processors like a Lumagen.

Increase the brightness and add the 3D Filter back LG instead and I'll upgrade next year.

I'm someone who plays video games quite a lot and I play games on my pc at 8k DSR to 4k@60fps just fine, in fact it was just the other day I was playing dark souls remastered and just like a lot of games it has a 60fps lock so 4k 120fps is useless on such a game.

I do prefer 120fps though.

Anyway my question is do you lot think next year is the year not if I should as definitely didn't ask.

I only wanted to hear people's opinions on wherever 2021 was the year lg display were going to try mass produce 8k oled panels as 8k lcs panels are now taking up a percentage in people's homes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cleaned thread, warning points given. I'd like to remind people of rule 1 they agreed to when signing up to the forum. Any further antagonistic comments or insults will result in further infractions and/or account bans.

To answer the original question; in my opinion I don't believe prices will drop on higher end TVs. But there may be the option of buying a poorer overall TV for the sake of getting 8k. We see that already this year with LGs 8k LCD TVs and Samsung's Q700T/Q800T which aren't as good as the Q90T/Q95T.

Cleaned thread, warning points given. I'd like to remind people of rule 1 they agreed to when signing up to the forum. Any further antagonistic comments or insults will result in further infractions and/or account bans.

To answer the original question; in my opinion I don't believe prices will drop on higher end TVs. But there may be the option of buying a poorer overall TV for the sake of getting 8k. We see that already this year with LGs 8k LCD TVs and Samsung's Q700T/Q800T which aren't as good as the Q90T/Q95T.

Thank you for the response to my question, I've just watched a few videos on the Q800T.

Now that hdmi 2.1 is out on graphics cards then I believe reviews will start to include opinions based on actual 8k images instead of 4k upscaled which therefore give a better comparison between 8k and 4k.

I've said this before and it's more applicable to LCD TVs than OLED but it's still mostly relevant.

There's no content.
There's no demand
There's no point.

Reviews for the 8K sets released are pretty much worse than the cheaper, high-end 4K TVs <---- This is the part that's more applicable to LCD.

Now that hdmi 2.1 is out on graphics cards then I believe reviews will start to include opinions based on actual 8k images instead of 4k upscaled which therefore give a better comparison between 8k and 4k.
I think your own use case is very different from most people, if you are interested in 8k to reduce aliasing in games for example and you view close enough to even notice, then of course it will be more impressive...but most people buy a TV for video and not games.

In terms of whether 8k is going to be a benefit to you, the problem will be the sacrifices you need to make to enjoy it. You have to reduce the frame rate not only because HDMI 2.1 doesn't support 120hz at 8k, but because you need a lot more power on the graphical side too.
There's a good chance that unless you are viewing very, very close you won't benefit from it yourself any more than applying DLSS to a 4k source.
The other thing is cost, do you want to pay extra for a TV with a better resolution? But worse picture quality? The Q90T is a better TV really than the Q800T.
1604853136162.png

With time 8k will become more common, but for now they cost far too much money compared to 4k options. If I were you I'd stick to using 4k 120 for now, and by the next time you buy a TV 8k should be more common.

If they push 8K, I'll be thoroughly dissapointed as if I'm going to pay more, I don't want to pay more for more pixels.

On the OLED side, I want to pay more for:
1. Better 5% grey uniformity
2. Image and motion processing
3. Consistent black level across modes
4. In non LG cases, HDMI 2.1 full feature sets with Gsync support
5. Higher peak brightness
6. 3D
7. Better antiglare filters

On the LCD side, I want to pay more for:
1. Better local dimming
2. More local dimming
3. Better blacks and contrast
4. Better feature sets (HDMI 2.1 et al)
5. Better image and motion processing
6. Better anti glare filters
7. Better QA on banding, DSE, uniformity issues, etc.
8. 3D
9. Better pixel response time
10. Better SDR/HDR

More pixels is very low on the priority list IMO compared to the above. I'm happy with the current situation of pricing 8K ridiculously high so those in the small minority that need it for playing 2011 video games at 8K, can pay for it. Whilst the rest of us can obviously use our 4K/120hz panels with peace of mind.

I agree with everything said actually, Im just noticing 8k becoming more of a thing and some of my favourite pc games are locked at 60fps like street fighter 5 and the dark souls series.

I would prefer to wait for a 77" 8k lg oled if I knew that either next year 2021 or the year after 2022 it would be comparable to the 77" 4k CX was up until the new £3499 price that has got me thinking about my upgrade path.

If they push 8K, I'll be thoroughly dissapointed as if I'm going to pay more, I don't want to pay more for more pixels.

On the OLED side, I want to pay more for:
1. Better 5% grey uniformity
2. Image and motion processing
3. Consistent black level across modes
4. In non LG cases, HDMI 2.1 full feature sets with Gsync support
5. Higher peak brightness
6. 3D
7. Better antiglare filters

On the LCD side, I want to pay more for:
1. Better local dimming
2. More local dimming
3. Better blacks and contrast
4. Better feature sets (HDMI 2.1 et al)
5. Better image and motion processing
6. Better anti glare filters
7. Better QA on banding, DSE, uniformity issues, etc.
8. 3D
9. Better pixel response time
10. Better SDR/HDR

More pixels is very low on the priority list IMO compared to the above. I'm happy with the current situation of pricing 8K ridiculously high so those in the small minority that need it for playing 2011 video games at 8K, can pay for it. Whilst the rest of us can obviously use our 4K/120hz panels with peace of mind.

Very much agree with the OLED comments.

If I could get a 77 LG GX that had great uniformity, higher peak brightness (doesn’t need to be much) say per Panasonic HZ2000 and near blacks the way Panasonic HZ2000 does them. I honestly don’t think I would need another TV for 10 years.

If you’re predominantly watching 4K content then a top quality 4K TV will be better as native resolution content on any display is always preferable...this is partly why I’m still rocking a 1080p OLED in my living room for movie/general TV viewing and have only moved onto 4K for gaming!

The quick jump to 8k seems mostly for bragging rights. A lot of people spending that kind of cheddar on a TV will probably know enough to see past the ‘bigger number equals better’ marketing that would fool the ignorant, there are far more important factors to picture quality than just resolution.

Technology is always going to move forward whether we like it or not.
As for wanting 3D back in OLED, it ain’t happening anytime soon if ever at all.
With the manufacturing process in OLED improving, affordable 8K will be here sooner than we think as LG need to make the most out of their investment before other upcoming technology becomes an affordable business model.
Maybe in 2 years we see an 88” 8k OLED at £3500 :love:

They need to sort out a wall mounting solution for that TV. In its current state, I don't think its fit for purpose. Needs an 88'' GX version.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom