1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

89 HD-DVD releases announced

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DEANO-B, Jan 8, 2005.

1. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just read over on the Hi-Def TV section this post by 'Deck'

Thought I'd post it here for us happy Hi-Def PJ owners (hope you don't mind Deck)

Not been posted here yet, as far as I can see...

From the HTF:

Warner/New Line/HBO/etc. just announced 52 HD-DVD titles for release Q4 '05:

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2005/Jan/1106003.htm

ABOVE THE LAW
    ALEXANDER
    ANGELS IN AMERICA (HBO)
    AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY (NEW LINE)
    BATMAN BEGINS
    BLADE (NEW LINE)
    CATWOMAN
    CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
    CONSTANTINE
    CONTACT
    DARK CITY (NEW LINE)
    THE DUKES OF HAZZARD
    ERASER
    EXECUTIVE DECISION
    FINAL DESTINATION (NEW LINE)
    FRIDAY (NEW LINE)
    FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON (HBO)
    THE FUGITIVE
    GOTHIKA
    HARD TO KILL
    HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE
    HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
    HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
    HOUSE OF WAX (2005)
    THE LAST SAMURAI
    THE MASK (NEW LINE)
    THE MATRIX
    THE MATRIX RELOADED
    THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS
    MAVERICK
    MILLION DOLLAR BABY
    THE MUSIC MAN
    MYSTIC RIVER
    NEXT OF KIN
    NORTH BY NORTHWEST
    OCEAN'S ELEVEN
    OCEAN'S TWELVE
    PASSENGER 57
    THE PERFECT STORM
    THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (2004)
    THE PLAYER (NEW LINE)
    THE POLAR EXPRESS
    RED PLANET
    RUSH HOUR (NEW LINE)
    SE7EN (NEW LINE)
    SOLDIER
    THE SOPRANOS (HBO)
    SPAWN (NEW LINE)
    SWORDFISH
    TROY
    UNDER SIEGE
    U.S. MARSHALS
    WILD WILD WEST

Paramount just announced 21 HD-DVD titles for Q4 '05:

http://www.mysan.de/international/article21498.html

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
    SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS
    ELIZABETHTOWN
    COACH CARTER
    ITALIAN JOB
    SCHOOL OF ROCK
    SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW
    FORREST GUMP
    BRAVEHEART
    GHOST
    GREASE
    MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2
    BLACK RAIN
    SAVE THE LAST DANCE
    SLEEPY HOLLOW
    U2 RATTLE & HUM
    VANILLA SKY
    LARA CROFT: TOMB RAIDER
    STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT
    WE WERE SOLDIERS

Universal just announced 16 HD-DVD titles, likely for Q1 '06:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...02774126&EDATE=

THE BOURNE SUPREMACY
    THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK
    VAN HELSING
    APOLLO 13
    U-571
    12 MONKEYS
    DUNE
    THE THING
    END OF DAYS
    BACKDRAFT
    WATERWORLD
    THE BONE COLLECTOR
    SPY GAME
    PITCH BLACK
    CONAN THE BARBARIAN
    DANTE'S PEAK

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    Great news!

Thanks for the links.

Gary.

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Excellent, some fairly good titles in there as well.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Sorry for asking fundamental questions...
    So does this mandate the use of a HTPC, or are there DVD players which can cope with these? And are these different to the Blue Ray stuff I keep seeing?
    Cheers...PJ

5. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Thats excellent news, but I'm not sure why we have to wait until Q4, '05, when you can already legitimately buy some of these in Germany now? Very frustrating :(

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,930
    These will be playable on HD-DVD players that will be available later this year (in the states anyway). I'm not sure about compatability with HTPCs to be honest but I would doubt very much they'll be playable. Yes these are different to Blu-Ray which is an alternative high definition format. Hopefully common sense will prevail and only format will survive , the next best outcome will be universal players able to play both blu-ray and HD-DVD discs but I don't even know if that's technically feasible to be honest. One things for sure, there's some interesting times ahead in the next year or two!

Cheers,
    Andy.

7. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry Deano-B im pretty sure this is not the case, hd-dvd is a completly different format to dvd and wont play on a dvd drive. If it were a high definition film put onto several dvd's then they would but from what i have read these are hd-dvds. Sorry to let you all down.

9. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You need to play them through Windows Media Player 9/10 on your PC

10. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yes thats true but my understanding is that you will need a new hd-dvd drive to read the hd-dvd's which arent avaliable yet, unless they are avaliable to download, although you might have to wait a couple of weeks to get it, unless you have an 8mb/s connection.

11. Alistair_M

Alistair_M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hd-DVD is a completely different format from the one described by deano-b. This uses blue laser rather than red laser. It will require a new player. NEC have announced a hd-drom drive for pc which will be released around september time.

I hope this will mean we in the uk can just buy the dvdrom drive and use our pcs to feed our projectors for hd-dvd. However there's precious little info out there to actually confirm this will work.

12. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :oops: Sorry guys! At least a PC based HD-DVD should'nt cost too much - should it??

13. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    PC Players are likely to be very expensive when they first come out. Perhaps £100 or so but then, as with all formats, the price will drop.

HD-DVD is incompatable with current DVD players and they can only be read by a HD-DVD player because it uses a blue laser with a smaller wavelength as opposed to the red laser used in current DVD's. Current DVD's, on the other hand, will work in HD-DVD players. Regular DVD disks should work in a Blu-ray drive by the time of release.

There is already one HD-DVD/Blu-ray player that has been developed, at this stage it does not appear easy to have a multiformat writer but this could change.

Currently Blu-ray will have a higher capacity than HD-DVD but once again this will probably change. HD-DVD's will probably be cheaper than Blu-ray disks because HD-DVD can use current DVD disk presses with a small change to the mechanism, a Blu-ray press will require a completely new disk press system. Once again, this possible price difference may well change as time progresses.

Hope this clears some things up :)

14. daredevill

daredevill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Not sure what the difference between the discs in the list and the currently available Terminator 2 Disc is, but this works in your computer as a DVD-ROM with Windows Media Player 9 which as far as I know means just playable on your computer but I may be wrong
    Check out this link for more details about the T2 Disc

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/T2DVD.aspx

Are the discs in the list the same spec or is it different

15. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    If the T2 disc you are referring to plays in your existing DVD drive than it cannot be a genuine HD-DVD (I use that term to describe the format that this thread is referring to, not the quality). As others have previously stated, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are both Blue Laser technologies therefore an HD-DVD disk could not be read by anything other than a genuine HD-DVD player or ROM drive.

The american site www.thedigitalbits.com (which I suspect is the original source of the list that has appeared here) is a superb site that keeps absolutely excellent track of developments in the DVD world. They have been keeping a very close eye on what's happening in the HD development war, they have a good range of articles that keep cropping up about it, and they quickly report on breaking issues.

Basically it's going to be a full-blown format war in the style of Betamax and VHS. Sony,(Blu-Ray) probably because of Betamax are absolutley determined not to lose, and the other side is equally determined not to let them. No-one will be honourable now at this stage, because both sides have put way to much money into it.

What is sad is when you look back at the development of DVD itself. All the companies put aside their differences, developed a common format and produced the fastest growing, most profitable format in the existance of home anything! Unfortunately they do not seem to have learnt from the experience.....

Mega-company egos: 1 Common Sense: 0

16. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *Sigh* Vhs vs Betamax all over again with the added difficulty of trying to prove to consumers who already have dvd's that they need to rebuy their film collection. Minidisc failed for this precise reason and if they are not careful then it will take a long time for prices to drop as the only people that will splash the cash are serious film fanatics and technology lovers (which I imagine includes just about everone on here but how many in the real world?).

17. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yes this will be an interesting one.
    It seems HD DVD has a good few movie peeps sign, but Blu Ray recently had disney sign and obviously sony, columbia tri star etc. I have read that EA have just committed to the blue ray format.

But if the HD DVD format does gain popularity most gamers will still have a blu ray reader in the form of PS3 :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4153813.stm

18. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, the T2 dvd is a regular DVD that has a Microsoft WMV HD movie on it. This is high definition although not the format that will be used on HDDVD/Bluray. The T2 disk will play in your PC if your PC is fast enough.

19. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    So if I understand this correctly...

DVD is either 576(PAL) or 480(NTSC) lines...

I currently connect with component, if I go for the DVI-D connection it will remove the need for a D/A and A/D conversion but won't buy me any resolution?

HD / Blu Ray I presume will be higher resolution hence it's probably worth waiting for that?

...PJ

21. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,358
    sorry to hijack the thread guys (great thread though!)

My technical knowledge is limited but.....

A friend ;) borrowed me his copy of the film Island Fever 3 (not saying any more) which is 2 discs. 1 x DVD and 1 says HD-DVD.

I just plonked the HDDVD disc into my pc to see what happened. After a minute or so a mesage came up saying that playback may not be at it's optimum quality due to the limitations of my machine (or words to that effect). I have an Athlon 2500 (although spec says 1.83g) so it was probalby struggling.

It did play though (although it did freeze a few times) at times it was like watching Ch4 on Freeview!

Whether it be true HD-DVD or not it wiped the floor with the dvd version.

The 16/9 film filled the whole (apart from the black bars top and bottom) of my 18" NEC TFT (with DVI Cable) monitor and looked fabulous! I sat further back than when surfing/typing etc etc, say 3ft away.

I've only ever seen true HD once, on a Pioneer 435 Plasma with a Sat feed and while it wasn't as good as that, it's the best quality video i've ever seen on my display :D

22. rimski

rimski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.high-def.de

Hi

Looked at the above website (In German) and found that they are selling films that are already available (apparently) in WMVHD format and wondered why there is no mention of any of these titles on the actual site :thumbsup:

www.wmvhd.com

Has anyone bought any of these from the UK and if so do they work as well as the downloads suggest.Also are there any other sites where we can get these titles :lesson:

Yes Daredevill it is me

23. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Yes, that HD Island Fever 3 disc is excellent, from a pure picture quality point of view of course! ;)

Steve

24. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I looked at the high-def.de site, very interested in Gangs of New York in HD!

One thing that's confusing me - it says it's available on a single DVD. Anyone know how it is that a higher definition movie only requires one disk, when the original is also on one (dual layer) DVD?

I guess the compression ratio of WMV might be much better than of native DVD..

Tom

25. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    The WMV Hi Def codec seems very efficient - it takes up less room than the DVD equivalent! Most will fit onto a standard single layer DVD which most mpg2 encoded DVDs can't.

The only negative of WMV and .ts files is that curently there doesn't seem to be any chapter points, so you need to know the time points where certain scenes are if you need to get to them quickly without jumping about aimlessly.

Gary.

26. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There seems to be an enormous amount of confusion over the new HiDef media due to appear over the next 18 months.

One musn't get confused between Codecs and Carriers. HD-DVD is merely a higher capacity storage format, which uses a higher frequency blue laser to read data stored more finely on a disc.

WMV is merely one of the codecs currently adopted by the DVD Forum (along with MPEG4 and MPEG2) to be ratified as part of the HD-DVD Video standard. However, it isn't entirely clear which of these will be adopted as the standard standard (if you see what I mean).

Those who have seen the difference between a compressed HDWMV and it's corresponding MPEG2 Transport stream will tell you that the difference is significant, if not huge (in favour of MPEG 2 TS).

Not to mention that the Sony BluRay disc is technically far superior in terms of capacity, and will possibly woo supporters to it's side of the fence causing possible VHS vs Betamax flashbacks for those who are old enough.

Also, there still is not definitive answer to the question: "Which HiDef TV Standard will Europe adopt". As most will know the US and Japan both use 1080i (1920x1080 interlaced) for their broadcast HiDef material. However, the majority of HDWMV titles are being released in 720p (1280x720 progressive). And to complicate things further, Sky have recently announced that they plan to include the ability to receive BOTH formats in their set tope boxes later this year.

So although many may say: "Well why not now?", in reality - there are a fair few things that need to be sorted before we all enjoy glorious hi resolution Movie material at home.

Alternatively if you have a HCPC, a HiDef capable display (preferably projector) and a reasonably fast Internet connection you can start enjoying the amazing quality right now. If you know where to look.

One thing's for sure, 2005/6 will be one of the most explosive couple of years in home entertainment in a long time.

27. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Oh dear, don't think I can stand much more excitement. Nor can my wallet. :) ...PJ

28. rimski

rimski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have fast internet but don't know where to look I will do some search but clues may be needed

I have the ability with my HCPC to play these new WMVHD titles I have bought the T2 Extreme Edition (play.com) and Underworld (high-def.de)

29. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Rimski have you got T2 hd working? Last time i heard you needed a US ip as it has a drm security check on it that needs to go through a us server. Otherwise i might just go order my copy now.

30. rimski

rimski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will let you know as soon as it arrives which hopefully will be i the morning or Wednesday