1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

885 Setup thread

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Leigh_1973, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    So kinda stuck and have people round so dont want to be on the phone to custimer support right now, so heres the problem;

Just been watching TV and decided i need to record something, in my watch TV function i only have 2 devices, TV and my pioneer DVD/HDD recorder. What im trying to do is add, Power on/off, channel up/down and record/stop record to the hard buttons under the 'watch TV' function.

The problem is that if i want to add the PVR device (DVD/HDD recorder) you have to run the setup wizard and add the device, except that when you add the device, it turns it on at the start of the acvivity, which i dont want as its probalby about once/twice a week that i need to turn the recorder on and start recording, make sense?

Im also going to have the same problem when i get my electric curtain track, as i will want the buttons available, under each activity, but i dont want the curtains to close when i start each activity! (if that makes sense)

Any ideas?

Cheers

2. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Not sure if this is your answer but....

On my 655 i can select device PVR and i have a Power toggle in the LCD options (Horny calls these "soft" buttons) and the turn press record

My only problem is that my PVR is attached to TV via scart so it auto switches.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you can add curtain open curtain close as soft buttons which are not automatically sent as part of the initial set-up.

so you can cotrol them device power toggles can be removed in customiseation or additional set-upoptions I have my VCR like this so that it is on or off as i decide not the harmony...........

4. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i understand where your going with the device function, as i fumbled my way through that yesterday to record, but i have 6 pages available under my HDD recorder and since you cant reorder the pages, its about 4 or 5 pages in, so is a real pain.

I added the HDD recorder in the setup wizard, and went to the bit you mention above, but it shows it being turned on and i couldnt see anywhere that i could set it to not turn on? Can you shed any light hornydragon, cheers.

Cant seem to find where to add the soft buttons (im guessing you mean the buttons either side of the screen?), unless you run the wizard and add the device, but then it sends a signal as part of the inital setup

5. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    If you log into your harmony account and go to;

TV activityCusotmize
    Change the behaviour of buttons
    Scroll to bottom of the Activity tab you will see a section called "custom button label"
    Add the extra commands to your HHD recorder under the appropriate function (this correpsonds to the row called "label").

The last part is the important bit, i was on the telephone to CSS last night trying to sort i a problem i had and it turned out i had added the custom command to the wrong function!

6. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I did take a quick peek at that last night, but the drop down options for the buttons wasnt there, because the HDD recorder isnt a device in my current 'watch tv' activity. Do i need to add the HDD first, to be able to see it?

I did only take a 'very' quick look so could have missed it, i shall take a proper look later :)

7. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I assume you want to have control of the recorder without having to include the recorder device in the activity?

A possible work-around is to make a new device (ie a fictional one that won't be in the Harmony database), learn the commands you want to it, and add it to the Watch TV activity. When you set it up, just tell the website it doesn't have a power command(not sure of the exact spot you tell it). You can call the real power command anything when you learn it, then change the label when you add it to the LCD button.

You could also just learn the recorder commands to the TV device, but I think this will then add the commands to every activity that includes the TV.

8. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, thats exactly what i want to do.

Hadnt thought about adding the commands to the TV, nice idea. Sounds like the best option i think

9. mcmad

mcmad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    damm this thing is not user friendly to program..

why didn't they make a nice simple interface like the pronto..

Ive basically resorted to mapping IR commands from my old remotes onto the 885 buttons, damm site easier to use as the profiles in the database only worked on about 50% of the buttons for me, guess I was just a bit unlucky.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    its only unfriendly if you have programmed a pronto before, it is very very different i hate prontos.............LOVE harmony some database codes are better than others, did you select from drop down or from OE remote identifiction (latter is more accurate in my exerience tho JVC VCR codes are an arse channel up down is same as navi up down

11. mcmad

mcmad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    cant remember which ones I selected, I'll probably have a go at doing them all again this weekend though.

must admit I dont use the activity function at all, it just didn't work on my setup properly. For example, switching from watching a dvd to watching set top box would switch off tv etc. I thought it wasn't meant to do that ???

have to be honest, I am setting it up very pronto like..

eg if I select dvd device, I program tv & amp rempote codes onto the dvd player,

probably not the way its meant to be used but its working well this way.

I do like the hard buttons though, biggest drawback on the pronto was having to look at the screen each time to find the button as there was obviously no feel..

12. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There is a way to get the TV to stay on all the time and not turn off between activity changes, it is under the options in the device (left had side of your homepage)

This is an activity based remote and that is how it is supposed to be used, if your not using them then your missing the point of the remote.

13. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Exactly. You need to stick with it and set it up properly. You should never need to use device mode under normal circumstances. If you must have a device based remote you would be better off with something like the MX500.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ther is a guy on digital soy who returned a harmony becuase it "kept try to set up macro thingys" that is really selling the remote short and doesnt achive any level of intergration that the harmony is capable of. MUPPET

15. mcmad

mcmad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    :oops:

sounds a bit like me

:oops:

is there a manual somewhere for it ? my install cd was warped so I cant use it..

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PM me your email an I will see if i can find a PDF version (or ring tech support and ask the to mail you one but the site should be self explanitory really

17. jimnorth

jimnorth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi All......Just got mine this morn and had a quick play.
    Gotta go out now so won't be able to customise further till tonight.
    A quick question.
    On my TV device I have 6 screens of options. I could most probably do with just 1 screen .
    Is it simple enough to remove options I'm never gonna use so I don't have to scroll through screen after screen to get to an option.

TIA and sorry if this has been mentioned before. :smashin:

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hi jim yes you can just delete them (remove from drop down lists) the ones you dont want ever use

19. jimnorth

jimnorth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Brilliant......Thanks for the help.

20. mykl1971

mykl1971
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, wonder if anyone can help.

I found a post over on remotecentral from MsAmy who was suffering the same problem as I currently am.

I jusy got a Harmony 885 and am having problems with my Loewe Xelos 5381 ZW. I've copied most of the text from MsAmy's message - see below.

"All is working fine with all devices, EXCEPT for input switching on my Loewe Xelos 5381 ZW TV. Rather than its remote having individual input buttons, I must press 0, wait a bit for an onscreen menu to pop up, then scroll through five options with the left and right buttons using the rocker disc thingy.

I've tried recreating this with the Harmony, however it just turns the volume up (it uses the left and right buttons as well). I'm no guru with these things, but my suspicion is that the pause for the onscreen menu to appear is a problem, and I wasn't able to stumble across anywhere on the Harmony setup site to just add a longer delay to this one function.

As it stands I have to go through help on the 885 every time I switch between say DVD and VCR to find the right input - certainly not ideal!"

MsAmy got a solution from Logitech, so I've asked her to fill me in. I've also e-mailed Logitech myself and now I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

21. godsie

godsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I am having a similar sort of problem with my new harmony 885.I use it with a philips 32PW9509 TV which is connected to a sky digibox on one scart (EXT1) and a DVD recorder (Pioneer) to another scart (EXT2).
    When the TV switxhes on with sky box on it automatically goes to the correct input (EXT1). However if the sky box is off and I turn TV and DVD recorder on it ajust goes to the standard tuner input (channel 1).
    On the TV remote there is a button which brings up a menu of the inputs and the same button cycles down through the inputs,changing to that input as it goes, there is no button to select the input.

I have tried various ways of using the activities to watch TV (go to EXT1) and watch DVD ( go to EXT2). I can get it to work for watching TV (EXT1). but it does not seem able to go to ext 2 when I select watch a dvd activity despite many attempts at altering and troubleshooting the activitiy on the website

My TV does have about 5-10 secs power delay on turning on, I have tried various settings with power delay on the harmony website with little success.

Any help would be appreciated as otherwise this is a fantastic remote much better than other universal remotes I have used.

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    guys this is what Harmony CS are available for. i suggest you turn the scart control of inputs off on sky and force the remote toto use Psuedo discrete input switching Philips and Loewe with this on screen system are a real pain unless you can find discrete IR codes somewhere

23. godsie

godsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankks hornydragon, I have already emailed the CS dept as well prior to posting my reply but will definitely try your suggestions