8800gtx or newer card?

salco93

Standard Member
Hi everyone, i've got an HD3850 256mb at the moment, but i want an upgrade and am looking to get the best possible upgrade for 60 pounds. I dont want to be spending more on a 4870 and so on because i dont play games enough to have such a good card. I can get myself an 8800gtx 768mb for 59 pounds? Will that be the best card i can get for 60 pounds or is there an alternative for 60 pounds or less that is as good or better? Thanks

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
May i ask if you don't play games very much why you need to upgrade? I game on a 3850 but am looking to go to a higher model now the next gen has come out, a 8800gtx will be a decent upgrade but I think going up to a 4870 would be more a little future proof.

salco93

Standard Member
I do play games quite often, but what i meant is that im not a hardcore gamer, so i don't need a top of the range card. Also, how is the 4870 'future proof'? There's nothing future proof about it. If there's any graphics card thats future proof at the moment, it would be the new HD5850/5870s.

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
OK it sounds like you know what you want, try toms hardware for performance graphs but most cards have reach a price point relative to their performance, so if you want more you pay for it, 4870 is best performance/£ and better than 8800GTX.

ATi cards support tessellations and a few other technologies + dx10.1 but you might be right that's not more future proof everyone may just move to dx11. Nvidia have stereoscopic support and cuda/are better for folding if that's your bag. If you've got £60 to spend either save up and get a better one or grab the 8800GTX/9800GTX/250 ... or whatever they've rebranded it to today, its as good as anything else at the price.

Maybe if you told us what games you play and more importantly the res you play at, plus if 60fps/aa is a must for you or you happy with 30fps/its playable, people might have a bit more input.

salco93

Standard Member
Well i play a lot of rFactor, GRID, GTR Evolution, Counter Strike Source, and new games such as Need for Speed Shift. I'm just looking for a decent card that will get me decent framerates. Thanks. Oh and i play at 1920 x 1080 on my monitor at the moment, but on another monitor, i play at 1600 x 900.

24 P

OK sounds like I have some answers for you, I run an 8800 GT 512, had it for 2 1/2 years, I get lowest 50 FPS on GRID, every thing set on HIGH except Blur, V sync on, triple buffering on.
Crysis gives me min 25 ish FPS every thing set on HIGH.
NFSS min 45 FPS every thing set on HIGH.
Sega Rally Revo 60 FPS everything on HIGH.

All this running @ 1920 by 1080..

I have an E8500 OC @ 3.8, which helps, and 1066 ram..
It all adds up..

I have no need to u/g yet, all those frames above 60 are wasted, Panel can only do 60..

Turning V sync off will get you more FPS but some games will inherently tear..

Hope this helps..

:thumbsup:

EDIT no AA, and where I can Trillinear filtering..

Last edited:

salco93

Standard Member
Hi again, i can get an 8800gt 512mb for 53 pounds. Which one would i be better off getting for playing at 1920 x 1080, the 8800gt 512mb for 53 pounds, or an 8800gtx 768mb for 59 pounds? Thanks

24 P

GTX definitely...

What can you get the 9800 range for btw?

Last edited:

24 P

Is that an affordable option???

the 30 you save now, can be put towards a newer card later on, the benefits of getting a 9800 GTX will not be 30 % quicker, IMO...
8800 series were a good solid performer, 9800 has just taken some of those aspects and re badged them...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom