8800GT 512 vs 8800GTS 512?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Miss Chief, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    I've noticed prices for the 8800GTS 512MB are sitting about £25-£40 more than the average price for the 8800GT (£211.44 inc. VAT for a XFX GeForce 8800GTS Alpha Dog 512MB PCI-E) so I've started wondering how much of a difference there is. Seeing as I've decided to get a Core 2 8400 rather than the Q6600 I'm saving myself around £40 there so I could get the GTS rather than the GT, but how big a difference will I be seeing? I've no plans to OC at the moment but might do in the future. I suppose the GT can be OC'd to match or beat the GTS, but then could I OC the GTS to make it faster than the GT could manage? Stats and specs as well as real world figures and links anyone? Tests of the new GTS seem to be thin on the ground whereas GT tests are everywhere. TY in advance.

2. Geege

Geege

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    The latest issue of PC Format magazine has a guide about the 8800GT and also a test review of the ASUS EN8800GTS 512mb. In summary it said, that the GTS 512mb is a faster card than the 8800GT although it is very close and you should consider whether or not the small gap it is worth the £40-£60 price difference. An overclocked 8800GT is going to match a 8800GTS at core speeds. At higher resolutions the GTS is going to pull away from the GT in performance and the GTS nearly matches that of the 8800GTX.

However the larger heatsink of the GTS (dual slot cooler) gives more overclocking potential and is a more stable card. If you wish to overclock the GTS the magazine concluded that you may be able to reach the performance of Ultra cards.

I think also the 8800GT were very popular and in short supply which kept the prices higher than most would have hoped for. The GTS cards are plentiful and as a result offers more competition to the GT as originally expected.

I ended up buying a EVGA e-Geforce 8800GTS 512mb. I found it difficult to find in stock a 8800GT that I wanted. The cheapest I found it to be was about £150-ish. (although most seemed to be around £160-170 mark). The cheapest GTS I found was about £195-£200.

3. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Yeah GT's are still in short supply. I looked the other day and most were 1-2weeks estimate.

4. Geege

Geege

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
  5. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I got a MSI GTS 512 which is factory oc'ed, and it is blisteringly quick and quiet. Currently making short work of Crysis. Totally recommended.

6. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
  7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Have a look at this bit-tech review of the 8800GTS 512MB. It includes graphs for the 8800GT against the new GTS.

8. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Hmm, £185 for an 8800GTS 512 from ebuyer, that's a pretty good deal, but 8800GT's are now around £160 delivered as stock is finally coming through in decent numbers. £25 for an extra 10 FPS? HMM indeed!

9. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, apologies if you are, but £25 for an extra 10fps sounds like a great deal.

10. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    lol, It is a good deal for an extra 10fps BUT ONLY if you are playing crysis:D, as that runs at such a low framerate that you will notice the extra 10fps. For all other games, don't bother as you will not notice the difference.

11. Geege

Geege

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    I agree that 10fps doesn't sound like much, but if it means the difference between getting a smooth frame rate (30fps perhaps) compared to 20fps, for example then I think this is important, especially with a game like Crysis. Although I accept that the difference of £25 is the cost of a new game:lesson:

I am sure you will be happy either way whether or not you get the 8800GT or 8800GTS. I have the 8800GTS 512, I am very happy but still intend to upgrade anyway to a 9-series in about 6 months- 1 years time. Hopefully then I will still get a good return for the 8800GTS.

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    More importantly the card should run better for those wanting to play at higher resolutions.

13. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Does 1680x1050 count as a 'high' resolution? If I can afford it I'll get the 8800GTS 512 from ebuyer, I can always save £30 or so and get the 8800GT, it's still a cracking card for the price!

14. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,535
    yeah - my 8800gt does all games @ high settings 1680 x 1050 and crysis i get about 37fps average and about 40 if i overclock my gfx card

15. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    According to the benches I've seen so far the GTS 512 can match or even beat the GTX at 'lower' resolutions and it's pretty much evens at 1680x1050, so if I can I'll take the GTS512 but we'll see how much I can afford on Friday! Driver optimization can only increase FPS and the GTS has advantages over the GT.

16. samwiseadams

samwiseadams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi all,

I'm hoping one or two of you might be able to offer some advice to a relative newbie in this area. I've currently got a 7900GT in my pc and I have been considering upgrading - I had almost settled on the Asus 8800GT but then I started reading about the 8800GTS 512...

1) Does the 8800GTS require DirectX 10 and does that in turn require Windows Vista? I currently have XP with 2GB of RAM... if the 8800GTS does need Vista, is it really worth upgrading Windows for the sake of improving in-game graphics? And if so will the 2GB be plenty or would I need to consider upgrading that to 4GB? I'm really looking to spend under £200 if possible but if its really worth upgrading I could probably find another 100-150.

2) If I do upgrade to either of the above am I likely to need to change anything else in my PC eg improve the cooling etc? I currently only have one fan as far as I know.

3) I've never actually changed a graphics card myself but I'm told its really fairly straightforward. Is there a user-friendly guide that anyone could recommend to help me with my 'first time'?

Any help with the above or indeed any useful advice at all would be much appreciated!

17. Fe_man2000

Fe_man2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    You dont need to have vista (and hence DX10) for any card presently - they are all compatible with DX9. There are a few games (e.g Crysis) which disable some features on a non DX10 system but other than that there is no reason/need to change from XP to vista on a gaming PC. The visuals on DX10 are supposed to be better tho, but I didnt see much difference sp I stuck with XP as it runs things better I my opinon.

Dont bother getting the xtra ram unless you go to vista as XP wont use it - you can always get it later if you decide to upgrade but I am running a similar setup with 2GB and I can play anything at the moment with my GTS card.

as for replacing the card - I recommend the following - if the card you currently have is nvidia then just swop them over as the drivers are universal - worth updating them afterwoods tho to the lastest ones. If you have an ATI card currently then uninstall the ATI drivers and then remove the card before installing the new nvidia ones.

To physical remove the card is a piece of cake but be aware some motherboards have a small clasp on the socket that the graphics card is attached to that may need pushing to release the card - you will see it when you get there if it exists. - other than that its easy - just remember to plug the power cable in the back of the card (I have forgot this a couple of times during upgrades - doh!)

cheers

18. samwiseadams

samwiseadams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Many thanks, very helpful. I'm now very tempted indeed to go for the GTS... will sleep on it and make my decision tomorrow.

19. Geege

Geege

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    32-bit version of Windows XP can only use 3GB-3.5GB RAM so if you install 4GB that extra 1GB will be wasted. You might as stick with the 2GB you have as this is fine.

The GTS is faster than the GT but only buy a small margin, so still consider the GT to save yourself the money. Although the GTS pulls away from the GT at the higher resolutions. If £200 is the budget, you can buy a stock GTS and you can always overclock it.

I have managed to overclock my eVGA from 650MHz to 725MHz so far without investing in extra cooling.

Either the GT or GTS will get you a marked improvement over the 7900GT

20. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sam, trust me, if you're gaming at 1600 x 1200 or 1680 x 1050, the MSI 512mb GTS card is the one for you. I have it, it is very quiet and runs really cool and I don't have any special cooling at all in my PC - the best thing is it's already overclocked so is under warranty so no worries there. Handles Crysis with ease. These new cards are quite big, so just make sure you have a PCI-E slot with plenty of room round it. :)

21. Fe_man2000

Fe_man2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    yeahs hes right about the RAM adn the 3.5GB visble (even with 4GB installed) my bad. Other that the GTS being a little quicker the cooling solution is better in my opinion - I have a fairly small case and the heat can build up hence the 2 slot exhaust design helps me greatly - the GT doesnt have this.
    If you can afford the GTS get it.

22. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Bah, didn't get what I expected in my wage. Payslip not delivered yet so we'll see what's gone on but going to get the 8800GT from microdirect, £123.10+Vat for a 512MB version can't be bad. I know it's not a bad card but kinda had my heart set on the GTS 512. :(

23. Geege

Geege

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the 8800GT as it is still an excellent card and gets top reviews in the magazines. Them money you save you can buy some new PC games with :smashin:

24. samwiseadams

samwiseadams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for all the help/advice guys... decided to go for the GTS 512 in the end - got the Inno3D one for a not-too-shabby £184.99 inc VAT (including a copy of Ghost Recon 2). Installed it (the card!) myself, no problems. Crysis has now gone from having great graphics to having awesome graphics. Very pleased indeed! :smashin: