Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

868 Keeps Sticking

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BAN5HEE, Feb 14, 2005.

1. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Hey guys. I have had the Pioneer for about 2 months now. I find that on 7 out of 10 DVD's as soon as you press start the movie from the menu it freezes. It keeps searching for the track (If you know what I mean) It's driving me mad. :rolleyes: I have to switch off the machine and then start it back up again before it works. I also find that it happens sometime during layer chnage. I have to then exit the movie and go to chapter selection to restart. Any idea what it could be? It's Multiregion and I have it connected via RGB scart to my 36" Philips and via iLink to my 2014i.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Take it back to the retailer you bought it from. Insist on a refund rather than a repair. This is absolutely your legal right. Then buy another (from the same place, if you like).

It should not be this way. I have a 737 and a collection of over 400 DVDs of various regions. In that collection, there have been JUST TWO instances where I have had to return or discard discs for unplayability/sticking/anything wrong really.

That is how it should be. If your observation concerned just one disc, then that might be suspect. But with it happening to the majority, the player has to be suspect.

3. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Hi Nigel thanks for the reply.
    I phoned them and they said I have to send it back and it will go to pioneer for a repair. They said they can't replace it becuase it has been over 2 months. So the next best option is to ask for a refund and then buy another one. What other DVD would you recomend with HDMI and iLink? (Not interested in DENON) I do like the ARCAMS but they seem to be hard to get a hold off.

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    I'd recommend Pioneer actually.

Get a refund. It is your right. You have been sold a product that is not fit for its purpose and not of merchantable quality. Do not accept the repair option. Do not take no for an answrer. 2 months is an irrelevance. The Sale of Goods Act gives you this right against the retailer.

The reason for a refund is that

a) it preserves your right to a refund whereas accepting a repair can lose you this right. If the repair is not satisfactory - if the problem is recurrent, you can end up inconvenienced.

b) your new purchase will have a new warranty starting from when you buy it. And you have new Sale of Goods Act rights.

So, put your DEMAND for a refund in writing, quoting your rights under the Sale of Goods Act. Keep copies of all correspondence. And don't be afraid to involve local Trading Standards if they are difficult.

Can I also suggest that you share your experience (good or bad) here for the benefit of others.

5. Brolac

Brolac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LV's obv quite right.Some retailers just don't help themselves,they should send your player back to the manufacturer and give you a replacement/refund option.

Can you name and shame them on here?

6. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Well I'm going to ask for the refund and then if they are diffucult I will name and shame. If they have no problems then I will also let you know who they are. Also if they refuse to refund me can't I just get my credit Card company to get the money back? I'm sure I read something about that somewhere.

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Yes. Your credit card issuer shares responsibility as "supplier/retailer" with the true retailer. They are therefore equally liable for any rights you have. However, you should make every effort to get the true retailer's co-operation first. But, as I say, keep copies of everything (and detailed notes of EXACTLY what was siad in any telephone calls, when and by whom) just in case you have a battle.

8. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Well I spoke to them and they first refused. The I started talking about the sales of goods act and that I might have to get trading standards involved. SO now they will swap it out with a new one on saturday. :clap: I will let you know what happend on saturday but thanks for all the help :thumbsup:

9. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    NOOOOO

Take a swap and

1: you lose your right to a refund if (for some reason) the new one exhibits a similar problem - defective batch etc.

2: your warranty is two months old meaning that you now only have 10 months warranty on the new player.

What part of "Get a refund" was hard? I did try!!!!!!!

Seriously - I hope it works out for you.

10. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    LOL aah ok I see what you mean. Well then time for another phone call I think... :smashin: