856 Sound Problem

john milton

Novice Member
I cannot get 5.1 sound on my Pioneer receiver when connected to my 856 tv with an optical cable.
I have also tried via hdmi cable from output 3 on the tv but also without success.
Any suggestions please on what I am getting wrong.

Jonny G

Novice Member
What source are you using on the TV? I've been having this exact issue today with my 856 and Pioneer VSX-930 amp. Only just realised that "Digital Plus" is being shown on the display next to the usual stereo indicator, so I'm under the impression it's working now. This is only with "Multichannel" NOT "Multichannel Bypass" selected in advanced audio settings though. No idea why that isn't wortking. I've tried optical & HDMI and no game with either.

john milton

Novice Member
What source are you using on the TV? I've been having this exact issue today with my 856 and Pioneer VSX-930 amp. Only just realised that "Digital Plus" is being shown on the display next to the usual stereo indicator, so I'm under the impression it's working now. This is only with "Multichannel" NOT "Multichannel Bypass" selected in advanced audio settings though. No idea why that isn't wortking. I've tried optical & HDMI and no game with either.
According to the manual the optical output is disabled when streaming Dolby Digital plus.
I have my hdmi cable connected to hdmi 3 on the tv an hdmi out on the VSX-S510 receiver with control and arc set to on.
I am having to use DD pro logic on the receiver to achieve surround sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom