85 Inch tv Max Budget under £3000

flyover

Novice Member
Hi ,

I am looking for new 85 inch max budget £3000 after having owned non smart lg for over 11 years now

The TV will be mainly used for 70% watching movies and 30% gaming for my son.

I was looking at last year model sony xh9505 but this out of stock now and comparable 2021 Sony x95j is way overpriced at £4999

I have identified following 2021 models

SONY KD85X85J £2799 (Google TV any known issues?)​

SAMSUNG QEQN85 A £3100 (with student discount)
LG 86UP 80006LA £2099

Please could you let me know which of the above will be good for HDR and movie and gaming good viewing angles and sound quality and future proof for gaming consoles too.

Please could you advice which represents better value for money and good quality

Dodgexander

Its not possible to recommend 2021 models right now due to heightened pricing. I couldn't possibly recommend any of the TVs you mention, which will already be out of date new due to limited HDR capabilities.

If you can't find 2020 stock, try to delay your purchase to a time when new stock hasn't just been released and isn't overpriced. Usually in the yearly cycle that's black friday or later.

If you can't find stock of the XH9505 there are also Samsung models that were sold last year:

Q90T/Q95T - Comparable to the XH9505 with HDR.
Q80T/Q85T - Worse with HDR, but still gets to 1000 nits peak brightness, so better than anything you can buy now for similar money.

flyover

Novice Member
Its not possible to recommend 2021 models right now due to heightened pricing. I couldn't possibly recommend any of the TVs you mention, which will already be out of date new due to limited HDR capabilities.

If you can't find 2020 stock, try to delay your purchase to a time when new stock hasn't just been released and isn't overpriced. Usually in the yearly cycle that's black friday or later.

If you can't find stock of the XH9505 there are also Samsung models that were sold last year:

Q90T/Q95T - Comparable to the XH9505 with HDR.
Q80T/Q85T - Worse with HDR, but still gets to 1000 nits peak brightness, so better than anything you can buy now for similar money.
Thanks for your input

I am currently getting ahrough student discount for Samsung QN5A 2021 85 inch for £2999

Please could let me know the which is better TV Samsung QN85A or SONYX85j

Dodgexander

Thanks for your input

I am currently getting ahrough student discount for Samsung QN5A 2021 85 inch for £2999

Please could let me know the which is better TV Samsung QN85A or SONYX85j
The 85" Samsung should score significantly better than the Sony due to the fact its FALD. Unlike other sizes this model is using a VA panel.

Spike 2013

Novice Member
Hi ,

I am looking for new 85 inch max budget £3000 after having owned non smart lg for over 11 years now

The TV will be mainly used for 70% watching movies and 30% gaming for my son.

I was looking at last year model sony xh9505 but this out of stock now and comparable 2021 Sony x95j is way overpriced at £4999

I have identified following 2021 models

SONY KD85X85J £2799 (Google TV any known issues?)​

SAMSUNG QEQN85 A £3100 (with student discount)
LG 86UP 80006LA £2099

Please could you let me know which of the above will be good for HDR and movie and gaming good viewing angles and sound quality and future proof for gaming consoles too.

Please could you advice which represents better value for money and good quality

I'm on the same budget around £3000 can still get LG 77inch CX for £2999 or LG nano 91 series 86 inch for £2799 but planning on the Black Friday sales in November or wait till Jan 2022.

I own the LG 55 inch CX and it's amazing Oled tv want to move that to the bedroom and get something a lot bigger for the lounge.
Wish the new LG 82inch Oled 4k was cheaper like around £4k.

Last edited:

tvdavid

if you did get a nano tv at least you still have a good tv for seeing the best HDR on.
and the 91 nano got OK reviews I think.

Spike 2013

Novice Member
I wouldn't personally buy a TV like the Nano91 without decent HDR capabilities, but if you were to keep the OLED for HDR duty and the Nano for SDR it would be ok.
Thinking the same about the Nano TV going to notice the poor black levels compared to my Oled, will need to check it out in person.
Also may get a new projector first only have 720p Optoma on 90 inch screen have another £3000 or £4000 budget for that.

Got my options open can't decide yet.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Spike 2013

Novice Member
To give you an idea of how poor value that LG Nano is check out this:

Its a highly recommended TV, with good HDR capability, black levels, contrast for the same price.
Never heard of Musical images and they don't deliver so useless to me but thats's a good price for that Sony 85inch, just seen it for £2500 but no stock from anothe place see what TV I can get in Novembers big sale lol.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Timing can mean a lot in the TV world, too early and prices are too high, too late and stock runs out. Bad time to buy new 2021 models currently...but if you're lucky enough to find stock of a 2020 one then chances are it will be a lot better value.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom