85" for media room. Buy now or wait for 2021 models?

Talbz

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am having my double garage converted into a man cave which will be a bit of a home cinema as well.
The room will have no natural light but I've decided against a projector for ease of use and versatility but still want as large as possible so aiming for c. 85"
It will be for films, TV (mainly sports) and PS5 gaming and budget is £2 to £3k

I was about to go for the Sony XH95 but then realised no HDMI 2.1 or 4K 120fps gaming.
The Sony XH90 has 2.1 but does not seem to be good enough for HDR content.
Wherever I look there are compromises.

The 2021 TVs are starting to filter through but they will be expensive and there doesn't seem to be an 85" mid-level Sony.

I had a thought of going for the LG OLED 77" CX (I have the 48" CX in my lounge) but they are still over £3k and obviously a smaller size than I hoped.

Should I hold out for the 2021 models and maybe try to up my budget or go for the XH95 and not worry about the 120hz which I gather will be limited.

Any help appreciated
Thanks

if you play on ps5 I would get the CX but I find the Sony XH95 is better for films though for me its the 55 CX and XH95 65 inch sets

if you play on ps5 I would get the CX but I find the Sony XH95 is better for films though for me its the 55 CX and XH95 65 inch sets
If you have both do you find it odd switching between the different technologies? Or do you get used to it?

I found my eyes had to get used to the OLED coming from a plasma.

How does sport compare between the cx and the xh95?

Last edited:
the xh95 you can see more shadow detail I watch with the lights on and the blooming is not to bad but if you have a CX already might be hard to go back to LED.

I'm really tempted by the XH95 as I know it's a good price at the end of sale life right now.

The HDMI 2.1 issue I can live with, but things like the blooming are a concern considering I'll watch films in low lighting.

Ahh it's not an easy decision.

I think I'll go with the 77 CX.

The size difference isn't huge and I like the version I already have. It comes with all the hdmi 2.1 belts and whistles, will be used in a dark / controlled lighting environment. I suspect after an OLED the blooming etc on the LCD will about me and if I ever want bigger size in the future there's always the option of a projector for movie night.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom