83'' 1000nit OLEDs.... 2021...

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

Thoughts?

I was personally expecting higher nit outpout.. re: 800-900 or so, as per LG's proposed roadmap a couple of years ago. According to that roadmap, they'd hit the target in 2020 and produce in 2020 or 2021.. so here we are and they are on track. But 1000 nits is actually more than what the roadmap promised. Roadmap I'm sure only promised 20% increase but 1000nits is more of a 50% increase which is a big deal.

Next.. the 83'' size. I am completely and utterly blindisded by this. I thought LG would stick to 77'' and 88''. By allowing for a 83'' model, its basically allowing a lot more competition with Samsung's more wider range of bigger TVs.

Overall this looks like a massive year for OLEDs if the rumours are true and given C8/C9/CX all have had comparable performance, its probably to be expected as we haven't had a darastic panel-tech change re: OLEDs in a while.

Things to look forward to potentially:
1. HDMI 2.1 on all TV sets from Sony, Panasonic and LG
2. 83'' screens being the 'premium' consumer display ; does this mean 77'' panels will stabilise around the £4k point rather than the £5-6k range? We had a big 77'' price drop this year where launch price was £5k-£6k; Will 83'' panels now replace the 77'' panel price?
3. 1000nits - for specular highlights, this is absolutely fantastic as we get even closer to the creators intent for specular highlight detail. However, does fullfield also get this darastic of an improvement? If so, does this lead to better ABL.

As always, always speculation at this time of the year and we won't know til Jan 2021 CES.. but its exciting to know LG are not resting on their laurels with Samsung now taking a risk with mini LED and microLED coming within the next decade.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
a dissapointment for me is who gets the 83'' panels?

It will be very annoying if we have: LG 83'' OLED and Sony/Panasonic stuck with the 77'' OLEDs (ok I'm dreaming Panasonic having a 77'' OLED.. ;) ).

Hopefully enough panels for each brand, which I think there will be.

CaptainJames

As much as I wouldn't want to buy an LG TV, we have to be grateful to LG Displays for their continued commitment to and investment in OLED panels. Without which, we would be knackered.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
They ain’t my favourite and it’s worthless if the processing isn’t right but I agree with @CaptainJames , fair play for keep pushing the envelope

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Extra large banding, yay?

Richard8500

If only Philips or Panasonic would take these 83" panels that could be my next TV?
OLED 8K 88" is still too expensive.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
If only Philips or Panasonic would take these 83" panels that could be my next TV?
OLED 8K 88" is still too expensive.
I’ll be breaking the bank for a 83” Panasonic OLED, then my missus will break me! :laugh:

3rdignis

Will Sony be able to implement the acoustic surface with a heatsink?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom