83” OLED or 82” Projector who wins

I run an oled and projector screen that’s relatively small but still 50% larger in size than our tv a Sony a90J…

The interesting fact is my daughter has said more than once she much prefers watching our projector for movies as easier on eyes even though a larger screen. this is her young eyes …and she has hardly gone to commercial theatres in her life maybe count on one hand (yes bad parent !). But seriously there is something here… you can’t sit in a dark room with an oled.. we always run a back light… the projector is different …the jvc n7 is drop dead gorgeous in the dark ! it’s reflected light for starters … spread on larger screen … less intense …it’s light output is set along lines of SMPTE guidelines as would peak out in commercial theatres..

even if could get an oled size as our projector screen, I’d get shouted down on any thoughts of replacing the projector with the oled. I suspect we will run our dual screen setup a while… we have had projector screen over a decade… the last tv we had over a decade :D not sure our projector will be going anywhere either given how expensive newer better ones are… definitely would mean winning lotto or doing someth7ng stupid like parking retirement funds on it or something :D

The thread seems to have gone off on a tangent as the original request was for a like for like size OLED v PJ.

I think everyone pretty much agrees OLED is better and only once the size difference is more than just a few inches does the pj give a bigger WOW factor. It's no good then qualifying by saying PJ is better when you go 100"/120"/130" as it is not in the remit.

One other main factor seems to be overlooked, to watch an OLED in ANY lighting conditions all one has to do is turn it on and view. A PJ HAS to have a light treated room to give any decent level of performance otherwise image quality suffers. Even using special screens in an untreated room does still not compare to OLED levels of colour saturation and black levels.

I think everyone pretty much agrees OLED is better and only once the size difference is more than just a few inches does the pj give a bigger WOW factor. It's no good then qualifying by saying PJ is better when you go 100"/120"/130" as it is not in the remit.
Mine isn’t 100/200/130” but no you wouldn’t be able to buy an oled the same size and if is likely available it’s going to be silly money…

One other main factor seems to be overlooked, to watch an OLED in ANY lighting conditions all one has to do is turn it on and view. A PJ HAS to have a light treated room to give any decent level of performance otherwise image quality suffers. Even using special screens in an untreated room does still not compare to OLED levels of colour saturation and black levels.
and my larger projector screen also vanishes away so no imposing screen left in the room ..even a 83” oled is one large imposing thing in a room and you can’t make it vanish !

our room is homely setting …I have indeed taken on quite a bit in way of measures and from many suggestions of other projection kindred spirits that have visited and contributed with ideas to what is now…there are definitely some unique aspects that seem to work in favour…but it remains homely it’s not some velvet lined light sucking black hole or anything and yes that is the ultimate. but still the number of projector setups I’ve seen over the years and seen efforts folks go too is amazing what can be achieved at home even in quite homely settings …and no I don’t run any special screen.. just A good quality 1.1 gain flat white one…and great majority of folk like 99.9% of ones I’ve seen with my own eyes and getting great results in homely setting seem to run just that :)

Ran a few more tests, watching PJ during day , just dropping the blind, so not blacked out, for general TV it's more than watchable, but I dont want to burn through the bulb for that type of viewing.
Mocked up a 42 size tv screen, looks massive compared to 19 inch ! That would be a great compromise for nearly all viewing, then save PJ for films. A 32 inch would be a better fit, but doesnt seem to be any good ones around.
SWMBO is dead against any change anway.
To black out the room quickly, looking at a custom made piece of foam 41x43.5x1.5 inches which could slot into dormer window, this is easiest fix if I can black out room quickly.

One needs to see the room layout to find the best solution. I would vote PJ always because of the flexibility. In my case the walls and furniture did not allow anything larger that 60".

The best position for a TV for me, taking into account furniture and walls and windows and doors, was a compromise with a 40" TV that I have now.

But, just 3 ft away from that same wall, there was enough opening on the ceiling to suspend a 120" screen, just 10ft away from the couch and put the PJ in such place to be able to fill that screen (keystone helped). So for merely 1000 I now have a 120" screen, 10ft away from me, and it is similar to being in an iMax dome theatre surrounded with the movie.

To black out the room quickly, looking at a custom made piece of foam 41x43.5x1.5 inches which could slot into dormer window, this is easiest fix if I can black out room quickly.
not sure you have these style blockout blinds where you are, I used 2 in my room … 100% block out quick ! You can even get them motorised …folk use in both dedicated and non dedicated rooms

In this situation I would say the OLED.

I absolutely love a proper projected image and use my JVC RS440 projector 🎥 for watching movies, but I have a 92” screen and a dedicated fully light-controlled dark room.

Regards,
James.

I’d seen those blackout blinds but too late before current one was replaced.
Been thinking more about the Sony XW5000, it obviously looked good with some light as room was a batcave, which I’ll never have. It’s also out of budget, that prob the way I’d go if within price.
The 83 oled seems the best all round decision, a few logistical problems in getting it upstairs and would have to sell PJ and current screen beforehand… the 83 oled is a no going back decision and even though Sony say A90J is here to stay, very odd how not much stock around and they recently had a £500 off deal.
So I think it’ll be the LG 42 oled as the current offers are very good…Just need to persuade SWMBO who is dead against any change.

Been thinking more about the Sony XW5000, it obviously looked good with some light as room was a batcave, which I’ll never have. It’s also out of budget, that prob the way I’d go if within price.
The 83 oled seems the best all round decision, a few logistical problems in getting it upstairs and would have to sell PJ and current screen beforehand… the 83 oled is a no going back decision and even though Sony say A90J is here to stay, very odd how not much stock around and they recently had a £500 off deal.
in all these years of using a projector and number of homes have visited with folks running PJs...no doesnt HAVE to be a bat cave... some pretty decent results are possible with some simple measures... doesnt mean dont do the best possible and every little bit helps.. but there are limits to what most folks can do.. even in a dedicated room :) every room i have visited ..dedicated or non dedicated typically has some compromises or other ... always be a balance of compromise ..even a TV or any projector is a balance of comrpromise... one way or other ...

go with what makes most sense to you.. and keep wife happy.. happy wife .. happy life and all that :D

So I think it’ll be the LG 42 oled as the current offers are very good…Just need to persuade SWMBO who is dead against any change.

if u have no option of upgrading the room down the line (bigger room = bigger image), go with the OLED.

There are qualities to a projector setup that I do find endearing and I think even at the same screen size a projector can be a fine choice in 2022. However, I think it comes down to what you want to watch and how you will use your space.

I replaced my 120" projector setup for an 83A90J - in the same room. My room is 12x15 - pretty small but my plan is to basically work my way back up to 100-110 inches over the next 5 years with direct view displays. That said, I love the picture on my Sony so much that I'm hesitant about even upgrading to the 97" G2. Adjust your seating for your preferred fov, kill the lights and remove any peripheral cues for image size, and it's just as cinematic. I have a temporary 150" laser setup in my living room with that Darbie mars thingy because my kid smashed my 77CX the other week. The image size is really impactful at first, but then I become conditioned to it. Once I start watching something, I can't really tell the difference between 150" at 14.5' away and 83" at 8.5' away. YMMV. I've been thinking about this a lot debating pros and cons (as I'm remodeling/building my space around a 100" OLED) and it comes down to these things:

1. What do you watch?
2. How many people in the space?
For me it's Modern HDR Cinema, video games, and 4 - 6 people at a time. A 100" OLED is a no brainer for me. If I had a massive space with the goal of seating many more people, a projector is really the only option unless you go boss mode with a micro-led solution.

Cheers!

I have been watching Wimbledon today via 4k BBC I-player on my 83" OLED and the image is stunning 😍 watching from around 5-6ft it was like I was on court with a lifesize Andy Murray and I was his doubles partner.

So an update.
Changed TV in lounge to a Sony 48 oled, from a 37 Pana Plasma, quite a difference.
I can now see how I get on with an oled, it is truly stunning though, Wimbledon in UHD is unreal.
Everything looks so different, bright and black.
I can also see what people mean about less cinematic, you are watching a tv.
1st thought was change PJ to an oled, but now thinking the opposite, we’ll see how it goes.
It is almost too bright

I'm in the market for a bigger OLED but i've also weighed up maybe a 4K projector and a vividstorm 100" ALR Acoustic Rising Screen but then the cost of both could go over just buying an 83" OLED.
I've currently got a 65" C9 and love the picture on it. Think the 77" won't be a big enough jump in picture size. Opinions welcomed

100" screen is borderline for OLED/PJ you really need to see both to make a decision.

If the screen was 90" or less for me 83" OLED wins.

It obviously depends on how close you will be viewing and current room conditions. With an ALR screen they still don't do that good a job unless the room is fully darkened. If you are just using an ALR screen with closed curtains and normal room decor I would go OLED.

100" screen is borderline for OLED/PJ you really need to see both to make a decision.

If the screen was 90" or less for me 83" OLED wins.

It obviously depends on how close you will be viewing and current room conditions. With an ALR screen they still don't do that good a job unless the room is fully darkened. If you are just using an ALR screen with closed curtains and normal room decor I would go OLED.
I would be viewing from approx 6/7ft from the screen. Room is light grey with dark carpet but white ceiling. I have blackout blinds and even looking at the reviews they all say the usual of looks fine in day but obviously better with complete darkness. I do love my OLED and i can imagine an 83" OLED would look great possibly a 77". I do keep looking on Sony's outlets but only 65" available currently.

I have to say I’ve gone from a projector on a 110” screen to an 83” OLED and don’t miss the projector at all. I’m quite surprised actually as I thought I would, but the size difference stopped being an issue after a couple of days. Also helps going from a 55” in the living room to the bigger OLED in the AV room, and it looks huge in comparison! But of course with an 83” TV you pretty much have to have a separate room to place it in, I can’t imagine having a TV like that in the living room.

I have to say I’ve gone from a projector on a 110” screen to an 83” OLED and don’t miss the projector at all. I’m quite surprised actually as I thought I would, but the size difference stopped being an issue after a couple of days. Also helps going from a 55” in the living room to the bigger OLED in the AV room, and it looks huge in comparison! But of course with an 83” TV you pretty much have to have a separate room to place it in, I can’t imagine having a TV like that in the living room.
Great news. Wish I could have made the switch but I just found it so underwhelming.

I remember when I watched Moana on the 77'' OLED with my sister and she was utterly underwhelmed. The few weeks before we'd watched Doctor Sleep and Kong Skull Island and she was blown away by the cinematic experience. I felt the same.

I'm actually planning to put an 83'' OLED in my lounge going off the kitchen when I extend. I don't think it'll be that big as long as the room is reasonably sized.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom