80's Jamo floorstanding speaker crossover rebuild/upgrade

Bergggg

Novice Member
Reaction score
So a few years ago I posted up here when I purchased my 1987 Jamo dynamic D5e speakers. They where quickly repaired (rotted suspension) cleaned and put into action with an old stereo amplifier. I have been very happy with the sound quality and overall performance for the last 3 years, but despite the recommendations to rebuild the crossovers it just hasn't ended up being done and its time to do it.

20200104_201745.jpg

Hoping for some help with this now, I had a lot of information off a couple of members back then and i have re-read through it all and want to go through and make sure I get it right more than anything, and possibly get more info.

Would it be wise/possible to make myself brand new ones from scratch? Replace like for like on the originals or upgrade components a better option?

As it stands going back through the old thread the only parts needing replacement are the capacitors and if the advice is still the same then so be it, I will post pictures through the process and maybe it will help others doing the same/make sure it's done correctly and give people something to read if they are interested.

I also could do with recommendations for an amp that will work well with these speakers as the one i'm using at the moment has no remote and the volume control has been broken by excitable children 🙈 I think it's been forced past the stop.

20200104_210751.jpg
20200104_205619.jpg
20200104_205613.jpg

If you can get the original parts as new/old stock I’d rebuild the x-overs.

Even the glue holding the inductors looks ancienty brittle now.

They certainly look good enough to spend some time sourcing the correct parts and doing a good job.

If you fancy doing something a bit different (and better, although more costly) then you could create an active crossover with a MiniDSP device. Then on the amp side, you can look at a pre-amp and 2* power amps on ebay which you ought to be able to pick up relatively cheaply (the active crossover would go between the pre-amp and power amps, and then the power amps would connect directly to each speaker).

I like the sound of that, I do have 1 600 watt power amp already although it is just a DJ amp basically. How would I go about the dsp? I have used them in car audio and its night and day the difference. How much better a system is it generally in home audio?

I like the sound of that, I do have 1 600 watt power amp already although it is just a DJ amp basically. How would I go about the dsp? I have used them in car audio and its night and day the difference. How much better a system is it generally in home audio?
How long’s a piece of string?! It’s better, no question, and a simpler solution than building new passive crossovers. Having the power amps connected directly to the speaker drivers ought to make a big difference.

I’ve not done it myself, but in principle if you got a miniDSP 2x4 (2 in 4 out) you can programme your crossover point on a computer (I’d start with the same type of crossover as the old passive one), and that’s it.

Last edited:
How many separate drivers per box in those fellows?

In that case my idea could get costly as you’d need 4 stereo power amps

... and two MiniDSPs. One for each speaker (four outputs per DDRC 24).

Yeah doesnt look like it will work out. Cant afford it really, back to refurbishing the crossovers as is then.

You could send your x-overs to Winslow.

I’m sure they’d be able to rebuild to spec and likely better.

Saves loads of faffing about.

Cheers, I'll get them some pictures and get a quote 😁

I'm looking at some old pioneer seperates right now.

SA-740 Amplifier
SG-540 Graphic equaliser
TX-540L Stereo tuner

1983 I think the add said, all in origional boxes. Looks nice, anyone familiar with them? Sent a message asking about them but its late now so I'll see what they say tomorow.

I went ahead and bought the old pioneer system 😁

I also got quotes from a few people on refurbishing the speakers properly, crossovers and rewire come to around 60 quid. I went ahead and ordered capacitors from wilmslow, Monaco polypropylene caps

If it sounds crap I'll just send them off, and at least I had a go

Attachments

• 20200112_211333.jpg
    20200112_211333.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 20200117_195530.jpg
    20200117_195530.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 189
Certainly intriguing looking.

And mighty retro.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?